Pastor doesn't tip waitress at Applebee's, waitress fired

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pastor doesn't tip waitress at Applebee's, waitress fire

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Rylan wrote:Gaucho you seem a bit...angry lately.

Yeah, I should probably stop following the news. :wink:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Hmmmm..I've never thought of tipping and religion in the same sentence.
That's an interesting approach, PFIDC.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:19 pm

It's not just tipping but that's what this thread is about (basically). It's giving in general.

There is a $1,000,000 (or whatever) bill out there with a bunch of scripture on it and a prayer about giving your life to Christ. A friend of mine is a waiter and got it for a tip once. That's shameful IMO. If you want to leave that WITH a generous tip, great! But to just leave that is not cool.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 60sixx on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:37 pm

So.............generally was always "meh" about Applebee's, until a good friend got violently, oh so violently, ill after eating there. Just hearing vague descriptions of what happened to her, I can't even set foot inside the door let alone eat there............and it has henceforth been known as "Crapplebees."
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:36 pm

This pastor was clearly throwing the lack of tip in the waitress's face. They should have just let it go then refused service the next time the ******* showed up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:39 pm

I have a good buddy who works at conference center in a major American city. Christian conferences always cause the most commotion and are usually the least looked forward to by staff.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:50 pm

There's a huge difference between what Christians should do (according to their religion) and what they do do....

Spoiler:
lol, do do
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:04 pm

count2infinity wrote:There's a huge difference between what Christians should do (according to their religion) and what they do do....

Spoiler:
lol, do do

FACT! :thumb: and yet at the same time :thumbdown:

Although I would add that it should read "most Christians"
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:06 pm

Gaucho wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote: I'm not saying we take a poll and determine what everyone else is tipping so that we tip better.

I'm sorry, but that's what it sounds like to me. Better than who? Even in times when I didn't have much money at all I always made sure to tip, because I felt it was the right thing to do. But I didn't worry about tipping better than others, I tipped what I could afford. I don't understand why you'd make a competition or whatever of it.

Because that's essentially the whole basis of religion?

Not really.

I more or less meant the "I'm a Christian so I should do ______".. kind of the same as "You're not a Christian so you're not expected to do _____"

Someone shouldnt need religion to determine how to live their life.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Correct.

"I'm a Christian so I should do ______" is valid though. If I profess to follow Christ I SHOULD do a many number of things.

However, "You're not a Christian so you're not expected to do _____" is not valid and certainly doesn't express my feelings.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:25 pm

mac5155 wrote:

Someone shouldnt need religion to determine how to live their life.

I agree with that. I thought you were commenting on the competition thing.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:41 pm

Christianity was more fun when its adherents believed in epistimological certainty. Post-Modernism has rendered religion vapid and basically meaningless. (Which is part of the reason why Post-Modernism and deconstructionism is bunk, but that is for the Philosophy thread).
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:56 pm

I'll take massive words for 1000, Alex. (Alej?)
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:12 pm

mac5155 wrote:I'll take massive words for 1000, Alex. (Alej?)

kenny melvin rojas?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Giggity
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:03 pm

60sixx wrote:So.............generally was always "meh" about Applebee's, until a good friend got violently, oh so violently, ill after eating there. Just hearing vague descriptions of what happened to her, I can't even set foot inside the door let alone eat there............and it has henceforth been known as "Crapplebees."

The two times I have had terrible food poisoning were because of Applebee's. My kids call the local one Crapplebees, and boo any Applebee's TV ads. I've taught them well. :lol:

I've always tipped at least 20%, regardless of level of service. However, since moving to a small town with no tourist or restaurant culture, the service is beyond abysmal, and I've had to struggle to maintain my standard tip.

My brother waited tables for a high-end restaurant in Charleston, and I have a background in food & beverage, so I know the work involved and what servers get paid. But I can't justify a tip for the sake of a tip, when the service is so poor. I had this one girl - high schooler, we don't have anyone older than college age working in restaurants near here - swear up and down that she didn't need to write anything down. She came back three times to make sure she had our order right, and none of us got anything remotely close to what we ordered. Dope.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:15 pm

My fiancees sister also refers to it as crapplebees, as she has to stop on the way home somewhere to take a dump. Lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:10 am

how 'bout we all go get kicked out of applebees?
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:15 pm

meow wrote:
Godric wrote:The "Further proof black people don't tip" comments are pretty uncalled for

People that don't tip are scum, no matter what race or ethnicity.

I sometimes don't tip - when the service is terrible.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:18 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:gah new yorkers and their stupid bagels. so insufferable.

tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:After being in Europe for 3 weeks tipping is quite a stupid thing. Pay the waiters/waitresses a fair wage and it's a non-issue. The service in Europe was almost always great and those guys/gals didn't work on tips. The theory here is if they work for tips the service will be better but the reality is servers expect a tip without the service. It was still possible for the wait-staff to get tipped overseas but they had to provide excellent service and almost all of them did. The American view of wait-staff and tips is quite flawed after that experience.

And they expect the tip because many jurisdictions allow wait staff to be paid below minimum wage with the expectation that tips will bring them up to minimum wage.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If someone asks me about my religious views, I tell them that I don't know and don't care. Thats more offensive to some than saying that i'm an athiest, and their anger is delicious.

"Oh, I'm not a fan of fiction."
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
60sixx wrote:So.............generally was always "meh" about Applebee's, until a good friend got violently, oh so violently, ill after eating there. Just hearing vague descriptions of what happened to her, I can't even set foot inside the door let alone eat there............and it has henceforth been known as "Crapplebees."

The two times I have had terrible food poisoning were because of Applebee's. My kids call the local one Crapplebees, and boo any Applebee's TV ads. I've taught them well. :lol:

I've always tipped at least 20%, regardless of level of service. However, since moving to a small town with no tourist or restaurant culture, the service is beyond abysmal, and I've had to struggle to maintain my standard tip.

My brother waited tables for a high-end restaurant in Charleston, and I have a background in food & beverage, so I know the work involved and what servers get paid. But I can't justify a tip for the sake of a tip, when the service is so poor. I had this one girl - high schooler, we don't have anyone older than college age working in restaurants near here - swear up and down that she didn't need to write anything down. She came back three times to make sure she had our order right, and none of us got anything remotely close to what we ordered. Dope.

I learned very quickly that I need to be more selective when tipping. Many waiters/waitresses around here won't even attempt to give you good service but still expect a tip... and most people leave a tip because "we're Canadians, it's the polite thing to do".
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Maybe 5 times in your whole life will you get service so bad that you shouldn't tip.

A baseline tip of 15-20% isnt something a server needs to earn. It's a given. If you're not on board, you shouldn't eat at restaurants.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:53 pm

shmenguin wrote:Maybe 5 times in your whole life will you get service so bad that you shouldn't tip.

A baseline tip of 15-20% isnt something a server needs to earn. It's a given. If you're not on board, you shouldn't eat at restaurants.

5 times? That seems a bit low. I've had waitresses forget to put my order in more times than that.

We're always blown away with the service when we go to the US. It's a million times better than what we get here no matter where we go. (And, unfortunately, that's not much of an exaggeration)
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR