Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby redwill on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm sadly well-versed in the number of dogs and cats killed and incinerated (at taxpayer expense) every day in this country of ours.

Why won't you meat-eaters eat dogs and cats when their meat is just going to be wasted?
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,852
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby canaan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:07 pm

redwill wrote:I'm sadly well-versed in the number of dogs and cats killed and incinerated (at taxpayer expense) every day in this country of ours.

Why won't you meat-eaters eat dogs and cats when their meat is just going to be wasted?

because were a people that live by social mores and not necessity. looking down on edible substances while others starve is shameful...and im as guilty as the next man.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,947
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby canaan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Gaucho wrote:I hate it when people challenge my vegetarianism by using tastiness as an argument.

my pov on vegetarians is this: if you dont ridicule me for wanting a bloody rare slab o' beef, who am i to tell you that your soy patties are gross. to each their own.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,947
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby redwill on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:14 pm

canaan wrote:because were a people that live by social mores and not necessity. looking down on edible substances while others starve is shameful...and im as guilty as the next man.


I have the impression that some people in this thread are not so sensitive as you. There is an iron logic that seems to guide them.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,852
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 pm

canaan wrote:i cant believe somebody would eat such a majestic creature.

Yeah. It's one thing to eat a farty old cow, but a beautiful, buck-toothed horsey??
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,674
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Pitts wrote:
canaan wrote:i cant believe somebody would eat such a majestic creature.

Yeah. It's one thing to eat a farty old cow, but a beautiful, buck-toothed horsey??


Well, you can't really ride a cow...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,367
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:24 pm

canaan wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I hate it when people challenge my vegetarianism by using tastiness as an argument.

my pov on vegetarians is this: if you dont ridicule me for wanting a bloody rare slab o' beef, who am i to tell you that your soy patties are gross. to each their own.


Nah, I don't tell people what they should or should not eat.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,465
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:25 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
canaan wrote:i cant believe somebody would eat such a majestic creature.

Yeah. It's one thing to eat a farty old cow, but a beautiful, buck-toothed horsey??


Well, you can't really ride a cow...

Ewe ...didn't know that was the decisive factor.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,674
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Pitts wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
canaan wrote:i cant believe somebody would eat such a majestic creature.

Yeah. It's one thing to eat a farty old cow, but a beautiful, buck-toothed horsey??


Well, you can't really ride a cow...

Ewe ...didn't know that was the decisive factor.


It's not, but look at it in that context, and it makes sense.

It's fine to eat chicken, cow, and pig because they aren't typically used for recreation (no, that's NOT what I mean)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,367
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby mac5155 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:30 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
canaan wrote:i cant believe somebody would eat such a majestic creature.

Yeah. It's one thing to eat a farty old cow, but a beautiful, buck-toothed horsey??


Well, you can't really ride a cow...


You've obviously never drank moonshine and stepped in the ring with a bull.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,740
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby redwill on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:38 pm

I'd still like to know why some people will eat a cow, a pig, a chicken, maybe even a horse, etc., but will not eat a dog or a cat that is going to be dead anyway and whose meat is otherwise going to be completely wasted.

It's pretty stupid to refuse to eat nutritious meat, isn't it?
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,852
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby Froggy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 pm

My gf ate cat brains when she lived in China. She didn't know what it was when she was eating it, but says it is delicious.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,711
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:51 pm

From what I understand some places use pig butholes to sell as calamari. Also, beaver anal glands are used for raspberry flavoring. The calamari info from this American life, the beaver some bl
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,504
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:54 pm

What happened there?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,465
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:57 pm

mac5155 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
canaan wrote:i cant believe somebody would eat such a majestic creature.

Yeah. It's one thing to eat a farty old cow, but a beautiful, buck-toothed horsey??


Well, you can't really ride a cow...


You've obviously never drank moonshine and stepped in the ring with a bull.


I considers bulls that you ride and cows bred to be eaten as different things.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,367
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Gaucho wrote:What happened there?

:D :face:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,674
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby mac5155 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:42 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
canaan wrote:i cant believe somebody would eat such a majestic creature.

Yeah. It's one thing to eat a farty old cow, but a beautiful, buck-toothed horsey??


Well, you can't really ride a cow...


You've obviously never drank moonshine and stepped in the ring with a bull.


I considers bulls that you ride and cows bred to be eaten as different things.


The bull I hopped on wasn't bred to ride. But it sure did buck like one lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,740
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:54 pm

redwill wrote:I'd still like to know why some people will eat a cow, a pig, a chicken, maybe even a horse, etc., but will not eat a dog or a cat that is going to be dead anyway and whose meat is otherwise going to be completely wasted.

It's pretty stupid to refuse to eat nutritious meat, isn't it?


I'm with Canaan, redwill. But at the end of the day, that's just not an American societal norm. Believe me, I understand the disconnect there, and I'm understanding of it. It's not like I could easily try it if I wanted to.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,932
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Gaucho wrote:I hate it when people challenge my vegetarianism by using tastiness as an argument.

You're right, it isn't an argument.

It's a fact.

Spoiler:
:P


Shyster wrote:Based on the extremely small amounts of horse content they are finding in most of the cases (like 0.1%), my guess would be that someone didn’t clean the industrial meat grinder between running a batch of horse meat and then running a batch of beef.

I don't think it's a matter of not cleaning the grinder. If there was enough meat left behind to contaminate a subsequent batch, then we'd be talking about mass food poisoning not just "Ew, Mr. Ed is in my burger".

At any rate, it presents a thoroughly adequate argument for the purchase of your own meat grinder and doing that work yourself. (The other argument being that you can safely cook self-ground meat to much lower temps and not be worried about food-borne illness.)

redwill wrote:It's pretty stupid to refuse to eat nutritious meat, isn't it?

You're presuming it's nutritious.... there's actually a fairly high risk of vitamin poisoning from dog meat, and there have been cases (admittedly rare) where rabies has been transmitted via cooked dog meat. So it isn't really a 1:1 proxy like you assert.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,377
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:13 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I hate it when people challenge my vegetarianism by using tastiness as an argument.

You're right, it isn't an argument.

It's a fact.

Spoiler:
:P




At that point I normally chuckle a little out of courtesy.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,465
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby OutofFoil on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:50 pm

Venison, Elk, Moose,various African game antelope are delicious. Squirrel, rabbit, grouse, pretty tasty to a lesser extent. No need to waste good game. Yes, they're cute, but there's also a lot of them and again, they taste good and I provide a cleaner, more humane death than the slaughterhouses do. Plus, I know I'm not eating a bunch of chemicals and synthetic hormones.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby Spangler on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:21 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Shyster wrote:Based on the extremely small amounts of horse content they are finding in most of the cases (like 0.1%), my guess would be that someone didn’t clean the industrial meat grinder between running a batch of horse meat and then running a batch of beef.

I don't think it's a matter of not cleaning the grinder. If there was enough meat left behind to contaminate a subsequent batch, then we'd be talking about mass food poisoning not just "Ew, Mr. Ed is in my burger".

At any rate, it presents a thoroughly adequate argument for the purchase of your own meat grinder and doing that work yourself. (The other argument being that you can safely cook self-ground meat to much lower temps and not be worried about food-borne illness.)

redwill wrote:It's pretty stupid to refuse to eat nutritious meat, isn't it?

You're presuming it's nutritious.... there's actually a fairly high risk of vitamin poisoning from dog meat, and there have been cases (admittedly rare) where rabies has been transmitted via cooked dog meat. So it isn't really a 1:1 proxy like you assert.


You say "contaminated" like horse meat is automatically poisonous or something. Meat contamination could easily happen with a pig as it would a horse. That fact that it's a horse should be irrelevant.

Also, if the rabies transmitted dog meat were found in countries like Vietnam or the Philippines, then that shouldn't be much of a surprise. Sometimes they pick the dogs literally off the street. They hardly have the same regulations as the U.S.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,357
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:31 am
Location: www.reviewjunkies.com

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby mac5155 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:37 am

OutofFoil wrote:Venison, Elk, Moose,various African game antelope are delicious. Squirrel, rabbit, grouse, pretty tasty to a lesser extent. No need to waste good game. Yes, they're cute, but there's also a lot of them and again, they taste good and I provide a cleaner, more humane death than the slaughterhouses do. Plus, I know I'm not eating a bunch of chemicals and synthetic hormones.


My buddy had Ram sausage one day and it was delish.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,740
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby shmenguin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:55 am

redwill wrote:I'd still like to know why some people will eat a cow, a pig, a chicken, maybe even a horse, etc., but will not eat a dog or a cat that is going to be dead anyway and whose meat is otherwise going to be completely wasted.

It's pretty stupid to refuse to eat nutritious meat, isn't it?


It's my preference to eat cow and chicken and such. Luckily for me it's always available. I doubt you're whipping up a lima bean risotto for dinner.

...and if this turns into some revelation that you like lima beans, then we're done here
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,746
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:04 am

Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam lovely spam, wonderful spam...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766 and 7 guests


e-mail