Top Chef: Seattle

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Top Chef: Seattle

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 pm

One last comment about last night...
Spoiler:
Wow, was padma a ***** or what while they discussed who should go home? She was way OTT there, IMO.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:17 pm

I think she was hopped up on the hooch.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Spoiler:
Josie: oh man.....I feel like they are violating that game show law by fixing it and keeping her on.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Col, this is my sixth season watching the show and I never felt that was the case with these guys. Bourdain even commented on it. Last night sort of shook that foundation a bit. The only saving grace was reading Colicchio's blog, where he seemed genuinely contrite and admitted if they were privy to all the info that was shown on the airing of the episode the judge's decision would have been different.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:28 pm

On the bright side:

Spoiler:
Brooke is a hot piece of...
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 pm

I have generally agreed that they tend to do a better job than most of these shows, but there have been times (especially in season 2 and 3 of Masters) that I severely questioned if the fix was in.

I will give them more benefit of the doubt here, but I am still angry.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:45 pm

If your not going to stand up for yourself, especially when you're in the right, you deserve to go home.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:43 am

the wicked child wrote:One last comment about last night...
Spoiler:
Wow, was padma a ***** or what while they discussed who should go home? She was way OTT there, IMO.

Spoiler:
I think Padma was jealous of another pretty girl. Seriously.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:04 pm

columbia wrote:On the bright side:

Spoiler:
Brooke is a hot piece of...

Spoiler:
Eh, she's okay.

Besides, I'd have a difficult time saying that even if I did cos, like I said earlier, I just realized she reminds me a lot of my boss. :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Fast B wrote:
the wicked child wrote:One last comment about last night...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I think Padma was jealous of another pretty girl. Seriously.

Spoiler:
Yeah, it seemed like she has been stewing on it and waiting for the chance to send her home, and knew this would probably be her only chance...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:01 am

Spoiler:
Halle-f'n-lujah.

LCK:
Spoiler:
Halle-f'n-lujah.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:32 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Col, this is my sixth season watching the show and I never felt that was the case with these guys. Bourdain even commented on it. Last night sort of shook that foundation a bit. The only saving grace was reading Colicchio's blog, where he seemed genuinely contrite and admitted if they were privy to all the info that was shown on the airing of the episode the judge's decision would have been different.

That makes sense. Josie obviously deserves to go home, but how would the judges know that based on what they saw. Wish Kristin had said more, but I admire her for how she handled it. Hope she makes it back.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Finally got to watch last week's episode......

Spoiler:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:

I mean, yeah I'm glad Josie's gone and all. But the real highlight of the show was watching how blitzed the judges were. Hugh Acheson said in his blog that it looked like they had spent the day watching Scooby Doo reruns and eating Cheetos. And the fact that they deferred Judges' Table to the next day is..... telling.

But seriously..... how as a chef do you get to the point where you are making fried chicken on a national TV show and you de-bone the pieces? That's a fundamental eff up of galactic proportions, and I think Brooke is very lucky that Josie served up grease bombs.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Oh, and one other thing....

Spoiler:
The Quickfire was to make a dish to impress a sushi chef. But it didn't say you had to make sushi. I wouldn't have made sushi. Not for Katsuya (which, with different kanji, would be translated as "cutlet shop"), and not on television. I would have done the best non-sushi dish I had in my arsenal and hoped he liked it. But when his group comment was "You all worked very hard", that's code for "Your sushi was weak".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:17 pm

Something that has kind of been disturbing me...
Spoiler:
Just a couple weeks ago, I felt like Brooke and Kristin were nearly a lock for the finals... then Kristin went and fell on her sword and Brooke deboned her fried chicken. :face: On top of that, Mustache boy started ending up in the top on challenges which annoys the crap out of me. At least Josie is finally gone...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Spoiler:
I would not bet against the final three being Brooke, El Mustashio Lame-o, and Kristin after cooking her way back in through LCK. Seriously, of the remaining chefs who do you think would beat her 1-on-1?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Spoiler:
I would guess that Brooke would be the only one who might beat her... but I seriously hope it doesn't come to that.

I'm hoping for an all women final at this point, but I have a feeling Josh will make it to the finale just to spite me like Sarah last year.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Spoiler:
No love for Stefan? ;)
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:
Spoiler:
No love for Stefan? ;)

Spoiler:
Honestly... I keep forgetting about Stefan. I actually don't hate him for some reason, even though I feel like I should cuz he's kind of an ass. I would rather see him win than Herr Mustache, that's for damn sure.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:13 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Oh, and one other thing....

Spoiler:
The Quickfire was to make a dish to impress a sushi chef. But it didn't say you had to make sushi. I wouldn't have made sushi. Not for Katsuya (which, with different kanji, would be translated as "cutlet shop"), and not on television. I would have done the best non-sushi dish I had in my arsenal and hoped he liked it. But when his group comment was "You all worked very hard", that's code for "Your sushi was weak".

Spoiler:
Hahaha….I love the pun on his name. Also agree that he was being very Japanese in "complimenting" their hard work. Oops.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fast B on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:16 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Finally got to watch last week's episode......

Spoiler:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:

I mean, yeah I'm glad Josie's gone and all. But the real highlight of the show was watching how blitzed the judges were. Hugh Acheson said in his blog that it looked like they had spent the day watching Scooby Doo reruns and eating Cheetos. And the fact that they deferred Judges' Table to the next day is..... telling.

But seriously..... how as a chef do you get to the point where you are making fried chicken on a national TV show and you de-bone the pieces? That's a fundamental eff up of galactic proportions, and I think Brooke is very lucky that Josie served up grease bombs.

Spoiler:
The drunk judging was absolutely, bar-none, the best part of the whole episode. I can't imagine how the chefs were taking it, knowing that their judges were clearly smashed out of their minds.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:31 am

Episode
Spoiler:
Nice to see Brooke get her groove back. Was hoping that Josh would screw up, but oh well. Just terrible, terrible decisions by Sheldon and Stefan.

Not that I expected anything different, but it was amusing to see that CJ was leading Josie 94% to 6% in the save-a-chef... which I still am very much against, but I digress.

LCK
Spoiler:
Bye bye Stefan. He was amusing, so I will miss him in that regard, but not at Kristin's expense, so auf wiedersehen.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Just watched the episode...

Spoiler:
Not much to say, uninspired food generally. Sheldon's a very lucky boy; tempura lobster? Yikes.

The Elimination Challenge did give me a good idea, however. Which I shall explore in the Cooks thread. 8-)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Oh, and a word about technique:

Spoiler:
My curiosity piqued when I heard Josh say that he was going to make noodles out of scallops. Okay, that's inventive. The technique has been around for a decade, but it's well outside his comfort zone, for sure. And, as it turns out, well outside his knowledge zone as well.

The moment he said he was using gelatin to set the protein, I for-real lol'd. Two things you need to know about gelatin: 1) it's water soluble, and 2) it breaks down when heated. His 'pasta' never set, so I have no idea how intended to prepare his noodles. But I do know that the scallops were raw when he tried to 'noodlize' them. And I'm willing to bet plan was to cook the finished noodles in hot water....... which would have led to him making a very liquidy scallop soup.

I was impressed with the way he recovered to make 'scrambled' scallops, but I was really hoping I'd get to see him try and cook his gelatin noodles.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Your post in the cooking thread made me think, tif:
Spoiler:
Imagine if Sheldon had taken scallops and bacon... at least 2 chefs used those ingredients... Hell, I would have taken bacon just to screw with Josh. (not that I would make it on Top Chef, much less make the final five, but I digress)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR