Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby the wicked child on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:21 pm

Heart of the Swarm and God of War Ascension are coming out the same day?! :scared:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:28 am

JeffDFD wrote:I dont remember the specifics, but IW is not really IW nowadays - and who knows (does anyone know?) what the next supposed IW game is going to be? I was under the impression MW story line ended with 3.

Activision thought it would be funny if they fired the two men who were the 'brains' of Infinity Ward (Jason West and studio co-founder Vince Zampella) and withheld hundreds of millions of dollars in royalty payments. 46 IW artists and programmers resigned, effectively on the spot in most cases, when news of the firings was announced. (38 of them eventually ended up at Respawn Entertainment, the studio West and Zampella set up under the EA umbrella) Unsurprisingly, West and Zampella sued Activision for the back payments, and to gain an injunction over the further development of all new COD content.

Before the case was settled, West and Zampella's claims had risen to $1 billion (with a 'b') American dollars. The case was settled last year, as was a lawsuit brought by 38 of the ex-employees for a variety of breach of contract claims.

It should be noted that Call of Duty is one of the most valuable entertainment franchises in the history of human existence. We talk of movies being gargantuan hits if they top $1bn in ticket sales..... COD3 did $770 million in its first five days.

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Medal of Honor "taken out of commission" because of poor reception of Warfighter.

That's a shame, I enjoyed both of the MOH reboots quite a lot. (Certainly more than MW3 and BLOPS) And I really don't think much of the criticism that was levied at Warfighter was warranted.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:41 am

canaan, you play any new wii u games since you got gamefly?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 am

beat the blopsii campaign this weekend. i didnt think it was as short as others alluded too. i wish the missions with the vehicles (when you flew the jet, etc) were more substantive similar to the AC130 mission in MW. that was amazing. the level with the explosive rounds was pretty awesome, though.

also just realized that you can have one of the perks on the bottom for multiplayer and have 3 attachments on your main gun. amazing. also, the peacemaker is legit.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 am

newarenanow wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I've never played GTA Vice City. Is it worth going back and playing, or will it look too dated?

It shouldn't look too bad. I'd play it if you have a chance.

I'd advise you to go into settings and turn off the "motion blur" effect. That's the most annoying thing about that game and was there seemingly as a homage to 80's special effects.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 pm

eddysnake wrote:canaan, you play any new wii u games since you got gamefly?

ive gone on a mini-run of "best of the wii" games that i never got around to playing. i got mario party 9 for the wife and she never wanted to play it. i got a couple of hours into donkey kong returns and man what a quality game. the graphics are really solid for a wii game..to the point that i forget that its a reg wii title.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:49 pm

The fiancee is going to be out of town this weekend. She's taking the car so I'll be at the apartment the entire weekend with just the dog, some food in the freezer (or delivery), lots of beer, and I want a new video game. I'm open to suggestions. I'm on an xbox 360.

my likes: all the assassins creeds, halo, sports games (but preferably not this weekend).

Dislikes: COD (I don't like the realistic war feel to COD... not that i've ever been to war. I know pretty well that Halo is fake, it's a game that is about aliens and whatnot, but COD is a bit too much for me) and any really in depth character building games like Fable
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby viva la ben on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Aliens:colonial marines comes out next week 2/14....not in time for your hermiting weekend though.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Dead Space 3 comes out tomorrow. I can't wait.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:02 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Dead Space 3 comes out tomorrow. I can't wait.

Me too. First one was a sleeper and came out of nowhere. Two was just as good, if not better. Both were quite challenging and just a ton of fun.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:04 pm

offsides wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Dead Space 3 comes out tomorrow. I can't wait.

Me too. First one was a sleeper and came out of nowhere. Two was just as good, if not better. Both were quite challenging and just a ton of fun.

:thumb: agreed, the needle to the eye part in 2 always has me :scared:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:09 am

count2infinity wrote:The fiancee is going to be out of town this weekend. She's taking the car so I'll be at the apartment the entire weekend with just the dog, some food in the freezer (or delivery), lots of beer, and I want a new video game. I'm open to suggestions. I'm on an xbox 360.

my likes: all the assassins creeds, halo, sports games (but preferably not this weekend).

Dislikes: COD (I don't like the realistic war feel to COD... not that i've ever been to war. I know pretty well that Halo is fake, it's a game that is about aliens and whatnot, but COD is a bit too much for me) and any really in depth character building games like Fable

Mass Effect 3
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby count2infinity on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:05 am

Do i need to play 1 or 2 to play 3? I've also heard borderlands 2 is pretty good.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:13 am

count2infinity wrote:Do i need to play 1 or 2 to play 3? I've also heard borderlands 2 is pretty good.

You don't have to, but I highly, highly recommend it. Your decisions in each game directly affect the next game in the series.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 am

I just checked the local best buy. they have the trilogy in stock. I might pick it up this afternoon.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:37 am

count2infinity wrote:Do i need to play 1 or 2 to play 3? I've also heard borderlands 2 is pretty good.

Just get the mass effect trilogy collection. It will give you 3 games for the price of one.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:15 pm

what is this OUYA console coming out for $99?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:38 pm

bhaw wrote:My mother in law just gave us her new desktop b/c they bought 2 and don't need them both (complicated story, so let's leave it at that). Looks like I may be able to play some PC games now. hp pavilion HPE h8-1117c. I know minimal about PC specs, but it's an i7 quad core with 8 GB ram. I just don't know how solid the graphics card is but given the rest of the computer, I'm assuming it's capable of playing most games.

Looking at HP’s web site, that machine has some very nice specs. The graphics card isn’t among the tip-top performers, but it’s definitely in the upper tier and a quality card. A Core i7 is an excellent gaming CPU, and the computer has plenty of memory. You just got a serious gaming rig that should be able of playing pretty much any game at a high (if not maximum) level of detail.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Shyster wrote:
bhaw wrote:My mother in law just gave us her new desktop b/c they bought 2 and don't need them both (complicated story, so let's leave it at that). Looks like I may be able to play some PC games now. hp pavilion HPE h8-1117c. I know minimal about PC specs, but it's an i7 quad core with 8 GB ram. I just don't know how solid the graphics card is but given the rest of the computer, I'm assuming it's capable of playing most games.

Looking at HP’s web site, that machine has some very nice specs. The graphics card isn’t among the tip-top performers, but it’s definitely in the upper tier and a quality card. A Core i7 is an excellent gaming CPU, and the computer has plenty of memory. You just got a serious gaming rig that should be able of playing pretty much any game at a high (if not maximum) level of detail.

For under $200 you can buy a new gfx card that will allow you to pretty much max out any game.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Rylan wrote:

Just get the mass effect trilogy collection. It will give you 3 games for the price of one.

Considering many PS3 users could only start at 2, I would say you could start at 2. Since the trilogy collection is out now, might as well start at 1 like a normal person.

If you start at 3, you lose too much attachment to the characters and world you're in, which defeats the point of the games.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:00 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Medal of Honor "taken out of commission" because of poor reception of Warfighter.

That's a shame, I enjoyed both of the MOH reboots quite a lot. (Certainly more than MW3 and BLOPS) And I really don't think much of the criticism that was levied at Warfighter was warranted.

Battlefield 3 is incredible, imo its the game of the decade and MOH Warfighter fell short of BF3
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby count2infinity on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Spangler wrote:
Rylan wrote:

Considering many PS3 users could only start at 2, I would say you could start at 2. Since the trilogy collection is out now, might as well start at 1 like a normal person.

If you start at 3, you lose too much attachment to the characters and world you're in, which defeats the point of the games.

Okay...i know for Assassin's creed I'd suggest people just skip AC1 and just read/watch online the basic premise of the game. AC1 was incredibly boring imo.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:13 pm

I have told others the same thing about AC1 - Wikipedia it and go play 2 and move on from there.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Spangler on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:19 pm

I haven't played ME 1, so I can't say what it is like.

I've heard from some fans that they like ME1 best. It has it's flaws, but they consider the story structure to be the best. IMO I think they like the game because of nostalgia, and they hate change (the gameplay changed as the series progressed, some for the better and some for the worst).

I doubt it's anything like AC1, so you should be safe.

I personally consider ME2 to be "The Empire Strikes back" of the trilogy.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:46 pm

I really, really like the Borderlands series. An RPG combined with an FPS. What's not to like?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR