Disney announces intent to release Star Wars 7,8,9

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Disney announces intent to release Star Wars 7,8,9

Postby Shyster on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:41 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I find it interesting that the majority of this discussion has been about the story line and not the cinema photography.

Is anyone else here, besides me, really curious how they're going to use the technical advances (3D etc..) as much as they are with the storyline?

Just about every scene in the prequel movies was shot in front of a green screen. If you watch Red Letter Media reviews, he goes into some detail on why that’s a bad thing. For example, many scenes in the prequels involve characters pretty much standing in place, walking short distances, or riding in elevators. Those scenes are necessary because the green-screened environment doesn’t leave much room for the actors to actually move around. Sure, the digitally-inserted background may look like a massive hallway or a huge library or a big starship hangar or something, but the actors actually have only like 20 feet of space in which to move around. IIRC, he did a montage from one of the movies of just how many times a scene involved the actors walking like 10 feet and then stopping to talk.

IMO, I think Disney should hand the movies over to Pixar and make them entirely animated. Also, that way we could have movies that follow the existing ones fairly close in time. If people like Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford are only voice actors, their present ages wouldn’t be a problem to any sense of continuity.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Absolutely NOT to all animated.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:03 pm

The Han Solo story would take place in the time period between Revenge of the Sith and the first Star Wars (now known as A New Hope), so although it’s possible Harrison Ford could appear as a framing device, the movie would require a new actor for the lead — one presumably much younger than even the 35-year-old Ford when he appeared in the 1977 original.

The Boba Fett film would take place either between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, or between Empire and Jedi, where the bounty hunter was last seen plunging unceremoniously into a sarlacc pit. Exactly who would play him isn’t much of a complication – in the original trilogy, he never took off his helmet. And in the prequels, we learned he was the son of the original stormtrooper clone, played by Temuera Morrison, who’s still the right age for the part if his services were required.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/star-wars-spin-offs-young-han-solo-movie-boba-fett/
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:08 pm

As popular a character as Boba Fett is among Star Wars fans, I have a hard time believing it would be a blockbuster movie. But that is ok, as long as the budget and so forth are adjusted. Just because it doesn't make $300,000,000 domestic doesn't make it a failure, as long as the cost is in order.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:09 pm

I haven't read any of the stand-alone Boba Fett books. I might have to pick one up just to see what he does.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:17 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:As popular a character as Boba Fett is among Star Wars fans, I have a hard time believing it would be a blockbuster movie. But that is ok, as long as the budget and so forth are adjusted. Just because it doesn't make $300,000,000 domestic doesn't make it a failure, as long as the cost is in order.

in this gentleman's opinion, it would be much more enjoyable to have boba fett remain a mysterious character. thats why he was so cool in the original movies.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:34 pm

They should make one with Jar Jar and show how he became so retarded.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:38 pm

newarenanow wrote:They should make one with Jar Jar and show how he became so retarded.

maybe jar jar can go walk through traffic with old people
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Shyster wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:I find it interesting that the majority of this discussion has been about the story line and not the cinema photography.

Is anyone else here, besides me, really curious how they're going to use the technical advances (3D etc..) as much as they are with the storyline?

Just about every scene in the prequel movies was shot in front of a green screen. If you watch Red Letter Media reviews, he goes into some detail on why that’s a bad thing. For example, many scenes in the prequels involve characters pretty much standing in place, walking short distances, or riding in elevators. Those scenes are necessary because the green-screened environment doesn’t leave much room for the actors to actually move around. Sure, the digitally-inserted background may look like a massive hallway or a huge library or a big starship hangar or something, but the actors actually have only like 20 feet of space in which to move around. IIRC, he did a montage from one of the movies of just how many times a scene involved the actors walking like 10 feet and then stopping to talk.

I've watched those reviews, but haven't seen them in some time. He was spot on about nearly everything except for the lightsaber combat. I prefer the flashier style of the prequels.

It's amazing how bland the prequels made so many Oscar nominated/winning actors seem. Now thatis a feat that is truly outstanding.
I think it partly had to do with the excessive green screen because they didn't know wtf was going on.

I'm not even going to mention the writing.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Give the people what they want:

Ewoks
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:18 pm

:face:
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:35 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
newarenanow wrote:They should make one with Jar Jar and show how he became so retarded.

maybe jar jar can go walk through traffic with old people

That would be good.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Hahaha......... I've had the Red Letter reviews on all afternoon, and they're frickin' hysterical. Right now it's "The People vs George Lucas".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Give the people what they want:

Ewoks

I saw this blog post - years ago on the Interwebs, around the time of Phantom Menace - that RAGED about the Ewoks. How Lucas created them to soften Star Wars and sell more toys, at the expense of a large scale Wookiee battle (that happened in a later prequel). This guy had inside sources, or at least sounded like he did.

I've often wanted to read some of the expanded universe, but didn't know where to start. Bless you, LGP. Bless you. :lol:

There is a TV series - live action, not animated - that has been in the works for a while. It is supposedly about the seedy underworld on Coruscant, similar to the upcoming video game Star Wars 1313.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:46 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Hahaha......... I've had the Red Letter reviews on all afternoon, and they're frickin' hysterical. Right now it's "The People vs George Lucas".

They are phenomenal. Watch the ones on Titanic and Avatar.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Oh and "The People vs. George Lucas" is mad depressing. It is like one giant WHY!!!!!
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:00 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Spangler wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Why did people hate Darth Maul?

I think only one person did.

Yeah, of all things, I don't even know why he was mentioned at all.

I don't think people hate Darth Maul as much as they hate the fact that his character was almost entirely useless and killed off in a completely silly way.

He COULD have been an awesome character with a strong back story, but he was billed as the key antagonist in Ep. I, was literally on-screen for 10 minutes, and was killed by a padawan. Not sure how people picked up 'hate Darth Maul'. Watto was featured more prominently than Darth Maul...

There is a lot more to all of the characters than what is in the movies, and I think more character-driven movies will be awesome.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
Spangler wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Why did people hate Darth Maul?

I think only one person did.

Yeah, of all things, I don't even know why he was mentioned at all.

I don't think people hate Darth Maul as much as they hate the fact that his character was almost entirely useless and killed off in a completely silly way.

He COULD have been an awesome character with a strong back story, but he was billed as the key antagonist in Ep. I, was literally on-screen for 10 minutes, and was killed by a padawan. Not sure how people picked up 'hate Darth Maul'. Watto was featured more prominently than Darth Maul...

There is a lot more to all of the characters than what is in the movies, and I think more character-driven movies will be awesome.

This is what ticked me off about Ep. 1. I was led to believe that Darth Maul would be a central character.

...and seriously. General Grevious? Awful.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Spangler on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:51 am

To be fair with General Grievous, he was an excellent villain in anything but the movie. The same with Dooku.

It speaks volumes at how bad the movies were at character development. You see Dooku for 5 minutes in the 2nd movie, and then dies 5 minutes into the next movie.

Maul should have been in all 3 movies because that would have made sense.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RJW76 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:56 am

I always hate that I feel that Star Wars may be one of the most overrated things in history. And this is not any kind of troll. It's just an ok series of movies. The writing is kind of cheesy, the characters are ok. The villians are cool, but like the last poster noted, you don't see enough of a lot of them. The storylines and plots are very standard. The movies are just not worthy of the culture surrounding them, IMO.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:42 am

Alejandro Rojas wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Hahaha......... I've had the Red Letter reviews on all afternoon, and they're frickin' hysterical. Right now it's "The People vs George Lucas".

They are phenomenal. Watch the ones on Titanic and Avatar.

I had never watched the "Titanic" one before, so when I fired it up I was quite surprised. You see, I, er..... um....... I like "Titanic", too. :oops:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:55 am

Jar-Jar Binks!

:pop:

:scared:
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer