Official Game Day Thread: Penguins vs Devils 2/10/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Game Day Thread: Penguins vs Devils 2/10/13

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Gaucho wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:German humor

Another contradiction?

Possibly. Any great German stand-up comics?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SoupOrSam on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:24 pm

sniper wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:
The U wrote:Hope we don't see them in the playoffs. Bad matchup and boring.

Actually I think the Devils are pretty effective at the same style the Pens played when HCMT was canned and DB took control. They are probably the hardest working team in the league too. I guess you can call it boring but they won damn near every battle for loose pucks all night.

NJ outworked the Pens in the second period and that's why they won. Pittsburgh needs to match their work ethic and they will prevail, because they are the more skilled team. At some point this season NJ is going to go through a long losing streak. They can't keep playing that way all year with games in such a short time frame. It will catch up to them.

Their game really doesn't exert effort though. Once they lead, it's pretty much ham and egg.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby The U on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:25 pm

Adding a winger to line 1 or 2 will help round out all 4 lines. Looking forward to that day.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ILikeTurtles on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 pm

I can't recall any time the Pens cycled the puck and had sustained pressure in the Devil's zone, but I noticed for often than not the Devil's hemming the Penguins in. The Devil's outplayed the Pens plain and simple. If they can get back to what they had when HCDB started it would be a different thing. If they have to go to the dump and chase, actually go in and get the puck instead of having one Penguin to the 2+ opposing players.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:28 pm

So the filet o fish video is 5-1 now. Time to retire it forthwith.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:29 pm

The 3rd and 4th line need to pick it up. They have been zeroes all year thus far. If they can't produce any offense, then it becomes difficult to wear the D down and get to the 3rd pairing. It also saps momentum. Our 3rd and 4th are not only not scoring, but they are not creating any pressure or chances. It's allowing even more focus on lines 1 and 2 for.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:36 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:So the filet o fish video is 5-1 now. Time to retire it forthwith.

Fire FoF
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:38 pm

Pens played better but it still wasn't enough. The Devils are a really good team and an even harder matchup for the Pens. Yes, the Pens did some dumb things out there (Despres, the breakout, lack of cycle) but in my opinion tonight was more about what the Devils did than what the Pens didn't. That team is really good and what's infuriating about it is they just suck the life out of a team if they get up any goals at all.

I pray the Pens don't play the devils in the playoffs.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The U on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:43 pm

ILikeTurtles wrote:I can't recall any time the Pens cycled the puck and had sustained pressure in the Devil's zone, but I noticed for often than not the Devil's hemming the Penguins in. The Devil's outplayed the Pens plain and simple. If they can get back to what they had when HCDB started it would be a different thing. If they have to go to the dump and chase, actually go in and get the puck instead of having one Penguin to the 2+ opposing players.

They haven't cycled all season really. I'm concerned about that aspect of their game. Everything is hit or miss off the rush. No zone time, no cycle, no board play.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:43 pm

I think what did it for me was the timeout with 8 seconds left. I wasn't completely furious before that moment.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Just got home, my third home game of the season. One more than the Penguins have all season.

Boychuck's time is up, package he and TK together and get a new goal song.

The loss of 2 of the top 4 dmen is understandable, but to fix that by not scoring? Interesting strategy.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:58 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:I think what did it for me was the timeout with 8 seconds left. I wasn't completely furious before that moment.

That's the kind of crap that sours people on Bylsma. And I like the guy, but people who criticize him get railed around here. What in the world was the point if that?? He watched Laviolette in games 1 and 2 last year call first period TOs to settle his team down after hot pens starts, and they ended up winning both games. Then game 3 his team is down 1-0 early, and instead of calming them down on the road, they get into a 5 on 5 brawl 10 minutes into a must win game and start getting thrown out
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 am

Who cares if he calls a timeout with 8 seconds left in the 3rd or 10 minutes left in the second?

Really. If that's your complaint, don't bother posting.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:10 am

MRandall25 wrote:Who cares if he calls a timeout with 8 seconds left in the 3rd or 10 minutes left in the second?

Really. If that's your complaint, don't bother posting.

Because it was head scratchingly odd, and I'd like to see what others thought. It doesn't mean I think a time out that late cost the pens the game. Geezus.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:13 am

I thought it was a waste as well. It looked like 87 was a bit perturbed by it too.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:21 am

One thing I did see tonight was Despres finally looking like a rookie. It's gonna happen but tonight was essentially a simulation playoff game and he wasn't ready. Tells me he isn't ready for primetime so to speak. Letang was in the same boat his first year when we played Detroit in the finals and he was a healthy scratch. If Despres is on this team come playoff time, I expect something similar to happen. Dude is incredibly talented but next year will truly be his year to shine.

Hopefully, Shero can find that top 4 guy they so badly need. Or maybe Niskanen and Letang being injured at the same time did us in. Haha.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:25 am

BurghThing wrote:Just got home, my third home game of the season. One more than the Penguins have all season.

Boychuck's time is up, package he and TK together and get a new goal song.

The loss of 2 of the top 4 dmen is understandable, but to fix that by not scoring? Interesting strategy.

Boychuk was the best player on his line tonight.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ILikeTurtles on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:35 am

The U wrote:
ILikeTurtles wrote:I can't recall any time the Pens cycled the puck and had sustained pressure in the Devil's zone, but I noticed for often than not the Devil's hemming the Penguins in. The Devil's outplayed the Pens plain and simple. If they can get back to what they had when HCDB started it would be a different thing. If they have to go to the dump and chase, actually go in and get the puck instead of having one Penguin to the 2+ opposing players.

They haven't cycled all season really. I'm concerned about that aspect of their game. Everything is hit or miss off the rush. No zone time, no cycle, no board play.

Being able to cycle the puck and keep it in the offensive zone is essential. With Staal, the 3rd line could hem teams in for a minute, now any line is lucky to keep the puck in the zone for more than twenty seconds with out a stupid no look drop pass to open space. It is pretty embarrassing really.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:13 am

“They played a great game,” right wing Pascal Dupuis said. “They played a smart game. They actually played the game the way we want to play. We have to get to their level.”

Bylsma is also 9-12-1 against the Devils as a Pens coach.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/346 ... z2Kb0VbDwd
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 pm

KG wrote:“They played a great game,” right wing Pascal Dupuis said. “They played a smart game. They actually played the game the way we want to play. We have to get to their level.”

Bylsma is also 9-12-1 against the Devils as a Pens coach.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/346 ... z2Kb0VbDwd
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Being that good doesn't matter much in February... But thats what we have to be prepared for. They really drive consistency and execute extremely well. Gotta hand it to them, they rode that approach all the way to the SCF last year.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby CERV96 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 am

Bioshock wrote:One thing I did see tonight was Despres finally looking like a rookie. It's gonna happen but tonight was essentially a simulation playoff game and he wasn't ready. Tells me he isn't ready for primetime so to speak. Letang was in the same boat his first year when we played Detroit in the finals and he was a healthy scratch. If Despres is on this team come playoff time, I expect something similar to happen. Dude is incredibly talented but next year will truly be his year to shine.

Hopefully, Shero can find that top 4 guy they so badly need. Or maybe Niskanen and Letang being injured at the same time did us in. Haha.

Let's not forget Letangs best friend Luke Bourdon died days before the final started. I agree he was not ready either. If he played he probably would have been even worse.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:42 am

Bioshock wrote:One thing I did see tonight was Despres finally looking like a rookie. It's gonna happen but tonight was essentially a simulation playoff game and he wasn't ready. Tells me he isn't ready for primetime so to speak. Letang was in the same boat his first year when we played Detroit in the finals and he was a healthy scratch. If Despres is on this team come playoff time, I expect something similar to happen. Dude is incredibly talented but next year will truly be his year to shine.

Despres played as well as any defenseman last night. He played in last year's playoffs too, so this won't be his first rodeo. I think he is more than ready, and he shouldn't be singled out because he wasn't great last night. Nobody was.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins