Game 13 vs NJ Devils - Thoughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 13 vs NJ Devils - Thoughts from the morning after

Postby Penspal on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Pens lose 3-1

- NJD are the real deal, get behind by 2.... done like diner
- Much better discipline (and better ref'ing), but Pens system(adjustments) << Devils system/adjustments
- Boychuk is putting up ET type of points on line 1b. Pretty sure I saw Boychuk on line 4 late game
- NBC was reporting Despres as hurt late game, but Morrow was sent back... any have a link/update on Despres?
- One shift with Despres + Reese was all Devils buzzing for 1 minute... Can't have basically an all rookie pairing
- Too many stupid dumps that Brodeur was able to handle
- Where is the passion in some players.... TK, Boychuk even Orpik need to make a little more of a physical statement.
- Jeffrey looked okay, he deserves anothe game, maybe replace TK for a game?
- Bortuzzo's early fight got the crowd going, he's growing on me, did he fall down in this game, is the streak over?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 13 vs NJ Devils - Thoughts from the morning after

Postby Lesky on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Penspal wrote:Pens lose 3-1

Did you even watch the game? :lol: EX Penguins Hedberg was solid in net :)

Horrible blue jerseys means LOSS btw - get rid of them NOW! :thumbdown:
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:19 pm

Agree with some of what you said, especially Jeffrey replacing TK for a game or two.

The most important point you make is the first one. There is a reason why NJ was in the Stanley Cup last year. They reminded me so much of the Red Wing team we faced in the first Stanley Cup clash. They are everywhere and they ALWAYS have position on the puck battles. I swear, they had to have won 95% of all puck battles on the boards.

Great teams always beat great players.

Only other point was that Orpik looked a bit dazed and confused. Tired maybe?
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:27 pm

- Love the look of the blue jerseys, but I always get a bad feeling when they wear them.
- Pens coaching staff have to work on ways to beat systems where they are hemmed to the outside.
- Was wondering what the Pens were going to do about TK, Cooke and Dupuis after this year. Looks like the Pens will gain $4.3 million in cap space there to shop.
- While not a Norris candidate yet, Letang is missed.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Last night was the first game I've been to this season. Let me start with the most important thought...

1.) All of the pre-game and in-game sounds seemed louder than last season. Maybe it's just been so long that I don't remember what it's normally like, but instead of feeling fired up by all of the videos, music, etc., I felt more beaten into submission and looking forward to the actual play as breaks in the noise.

2.) I thought the Pens played reasonably well. The Devils are a good team, incredibly disciplined, positionally sound, and equipped with enough skill up front to punish mistakes. The Pens had multiple good chances/half-chances, but it just wasn't happening for them last night.

3.) I heard it mentioned on the postgame on the way home that some of the problems clearing the zone and holding the zone stemmed from missing two right-handed d-men. I hadn't thought about that, but it makes a lot of sense. The first goals resulted from Engelland and then Martin being unable to hold the puck in on their backhand.

4.) Despres consistently seemed to think he had a half second more to play the puck than he actually did. I don't know if the Devils were pressuring more and more quickly than other teams or Despres was getting a little too comfortable or what, but I almost wouldn't mind sitting him for a game or two when Niskanen is ready (not really as a punitive measure, but more to see if he might benefit from seeing the game from a higher perspective).
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Penspal wrote:- Boychuk is putting up ET type of points on line 1b. Pretty sure I saw Boychuk on line 4 late game

Geno has 7 even strength points, Neal has 3. You can look at that as the 3rd player on that line being a problem, or you could look at it as Geno not playing up to snuff. I prefer the later.

Boychuk has been effective in his role on that line. He makes good decisions with the puck, uses his speed effectively, and has created some good scoring chances (though he does seem a little snake bitten when it comes to putting the puck in the net.) Geno's decision making has been poor, he's taken some horrible (and selfish) penalties, and in general has not been effective at even strength. The second line goes as Geno goes, and right now Geno isn't carrying them anywhere.

Also, Joe Vitale should never be out of the lineup.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bh on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:13 pm

- The Devils play a good game. They are well coached and they have some very good players. Kept the pens to the perimiter all night.
- The ice looked terrible all night to me. Instead of crisp passes, it looked like they were just whacking the puck from one end to the other.
- Rookie defensman looked like rookies.
- Sid is slowly looking better and better.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 pm

I saw some references in the GDT about Despres playing like a rookie. Sharing the ice with another rookie will do that....no cause for alarm.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:Also, Joe Vitale should never be out of the lineup.

vitale gives a zillion percent every shift. with the season paced how it is, maybe it's not a bad idea to harness that energy every once in a while
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:28 pm

....any one else having a problem with their puck support and gap control ? NJ looked like they had 3/4 guys within 5 feet of the puck and had any passing lane blocked. I need someone to explain exactly what this "our game" is, because I see more individual play against disciplined teams. I used to think it was speed and puck control and cycling in the offensive zone. I'll throw Saturday away for obvious reasons, but yesterday should be an eye opener for the coaching staff, it was a little like the playoffs last year.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 pm

shmenguin wrote:
vitale gives a zillion percent every shift. with the season paced how it is, maybe it's not a bad idea to harness that energy every once in a while

He doesn't play 25 minutes a game, so nobody needs to worry about him tiring out. Besides, you can sit him every so often and substitute in one of several other guys.

As for the game itself: NJ looked like a team that was really good last year, and is on their game again this year. Excellent positioning, support, discipline, and effort. With just enough offensive punch to hurt teams on mistakes.

That's what they do. It's also why they are near unbeatable if they score first, or are able to keep it to a 1 goal deficit. Cashing in chances early against them is of the utmost importance (as it is with every team). But with NJ, getting early leads, particularly that magic 2 goal lead, completely forces them out of their comfort zone. Easier said than done.

Losing a couple games to them is no reason to panic. They are going to beat a lot of good teams this year.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iceolater on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:46 pm

If Hedberg lets one of those early chances in then it is a different outcome. He appeared to get stronger and gain confidence with those great saves. The Pens played a lot better then Saturday. It's still early, but still not sold on Dupuis being a top 6 winger and staying on the top line. Especially with Kunitz having a great year thus far. Geno at times attempts to do too much but Boychuck gotta bury those shots when Geno puts it on his stick. Would like to see the 3rd and 4th line put pucks in the net especially the 4th line. Adams usually can bury a few and Glass hasn't done it either so a bit concerned about them not giving us a few goals here and there. I look for RS to make a move to get a winger for Sid and move Dupuis down to Geno's line or the 3rd line in place of Kennedy. No need to panic just a solid effort by the Devils in all areas of the game. We had our chances. Plus Devils with the exception of Parise have basically played together compared to our lines who are still getting to know the new guys. We will be ok. Let's Go Pens!
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby guiner on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Penspal wrote:- Boychuk is putting up ET type of points on line 1b. Pretty sure I saw Boychuk on line 4 late game

Geno has 7 even strength points, Neal has 3. You can look at that as the 3rd player on that line being a problem, or you could look at it as Geno not playing up to snuff. I prefer the later.

Boychuk has been effective in his role on that line. He makes good decisions with the puck, uses his speed effectively, and has created some good scoring chances (though he does seem a little snake bitten when it comes to putting the puck in the net.) Geno's decision making has been poor, he's taken some horrible (and selfish) penalties, and in general has not been effective at even strength. The second line goes as Geno goes, and right now Geno isn't carrying them anywhere.

Yeah, its not Boychuk's fault when Geno tries to skate around the offensive zone 2 times, loses the puck, too dogged to backcheck and gives up a goal. Malkin is not playing a team game right now, he is trying to do it by himself too much.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Lesky wrote:

Sorry, two games in two days blurred together. Are you always that harsh when a mistake is made?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Penspal wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Sorry, two games in two days blurred together. Are you always that harsh when a mistake is made?

He or she has two smiling/laughing emoticons in there, so I don't think he/she was being harsh. :lol:
In your defense, Hedberg played very well, very Brodeur like. :thumb: :slug:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:23 pm

columbia wrote:I saw some references in the GDT about Despres playing like a rookie. Sharing the ice with another rookie will do that....no cause for alarm.

This x 1000. Imagine you are Despres. One minute you are skating with Kris Letang, the next minute it's Dylan Reese. That is a cataclysmic drop off that would impact ANY player negatively.

Tanger and Despres play off of each other's strengths well. They have good chemistry. Remember what happened to Robby Brown and Kevin Stevens after they left Mario's wing? Letang is a tremendous talent who can elevate the games of players around him. Dylan Reese and Robert Bortuzzo, while they are both solid, are not even in the same universe as Letang. Good post.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Penspal wrote:
Lesky wrote:

He or she has two smiling/laughing emoticons in there, so I don't think he/she was being harsh. :lol:
In your defense, Hedberg played very well, very Brodeur like. :thumb: :slug:

Sorry, I was on a PC where smilies were not showing. Funny how a little emoticon can completely change the tone of a sentence.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Penspal wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Penspal wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Did you even watch the game? :lol: EX Penguins Hedberg was solid in net

Horrible blue jerseys means LOSS btw - get rid of them NOW!

In your defense, Hedberg played very well, very Brodeur like.

Sorry, I was on a PC where smilies were not showing. Funny how a little emoticon can completely change the tone of a sentence.

Deal with it :evil: :oops: :roll: :lol: :fist: :scared:
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lesky on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Penspal wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Hey man. Sorry If I come across angry, I meant it in a funny way as I think Brodeur stands out in net :) Apologize if you took offense, not my intention.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penscup on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:42 pm

No comments on the Cooke elbow? How did that not get called?

It was intentional and high to the head. So much for him being reformed.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:10 pm

penscup wrote:No comments on the Cooke elbow? How did that not get called?

It was a shoulder, and IIRC, the replay showed it wasn't near as bad as it looked.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sniper on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:54 pm

penscup wrote:No comments on the Cooke elbow? How did that not get called?

Definitely wasn't an elbow. Shoulder hit him in the head.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Teams like the Isles and Devils are playing them perfectly,let the Pens control the puck on the perimeter and not allow cross ice passes. Dont allow the Pens to get odd man rushes and wait for them to make mistakes because they will.

The Pens have no interest in getting bodies in front of the goal or taking the puck strong to the net. Until this team starts showing some interest in scoring dirty goals and getting to the front of the net this has the feeling of another one and done playoff campaign.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:55 pm

guiner wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

Yeah, its not Boychuk's fault when Geno tries to skate around the offensive zone 2 times, loses the puck, too dogged to backcheck and gives up a goal. Malkin is not playing a team game right now, he is trying to do it by himself too much.

Actually... if Geno had someone to pass to, he wouldnt have to skate around the zone like that. Boychuk does a good job of getting open on the rush, but in that situation, having a guy who can plant himself in front of the net and tie up a defender or two would give Geno more opportunities.

It doesn't make much sense that Malkin and Neal have been fine on the power play, but struggling at ES, except to say that they dont have an ES linemate who works well with them.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sniper on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:17 pm

I think when you play teams like the Devils you have to beat them at their own game. Stay patient and don't give them any easy scoring chances. Make them earn everything they get. Look at the goals they scored. Saturday 2 on the power play after killing off the first 6 or 7 and one because Orpik was standing out by the blue line and left his man alone. Sunday two 2 on 1 chances and another power play goal. The power play goals will happen now and then, but had they stayed more disciplined saturday and not given up 2 on 1's yesterday the Devils only score 1 goal each game. 1 total if Orpik stays with his man Saturday.

Playing against the Devils this weekend reminded me of playing against Montreal a couple years ago in the playoffs. The Pens are a better team than the Devils and were far better than the Canadiens. They just play stupid against them. Limit the mistakes, keep the third forward high and force them to earn their goals. That's what the Flyers did against Montreal the year they beat us and Washington. Montreal couldn't score against Philly. When they were forced to earn their goals they couldn't do it. NJ's offense is 3 players. Clarkson, Kovalchuk, and Elias. Elias isn't getting any younger. The rest of them are Pascal Dupuis. This isn't a team capable of scoring a large amount of goals. The skill level simply isn't there. The penguins gave them their chances.

If I was a coach I'd try weird things against teams like the Devils. I'd tell Crosby or Malkin to stay at the offensive blue line when NJ got the puck just to see what they would do. Would they leave one D man back to watch whichever one was there and play 4 on 4 in the offensive zone and take the chance of the Penguins getting the puck and getting it to Crosby or Malkin against their lone D man? Would they be too worried about getting beat and leave both D men back and negate pretty much any offensive attack they have? I'd try it just to see how they react. If they take 4 on 4 and leave me 1 on 1 with my superstar against their D man I'll take it all day.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins