Be honest

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Be honest

Postby MarioLives on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:06 pm

Do you like listening to Mark Madden? I have to say he knows hockey better that anyone in Pittsburgh, and is funny in a way
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Be honest

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 pm

I enjoy when he talks about the Pens. He pretty much trolls the Steelers and Pirates. His 2PM show on Penguins Radio is so much better than his normal show because he tones down the jag act a little.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Durbano on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Definitely. I download his podcast segments daily.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I enjoy when he talks about the Pens. He pretty much trolls the Steelers and Pirates. His 2PM show on Penguins Radio is so much better than his normal show because he tones down the jag act a little.

This

I listen to his Pens Radio show sometimes.

Quit listening to his X show. 1/3 commercials, 1/3 X Music, and 80% of the content he actually does, he's being a jagoff. I quit wasting my time.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 am

Proud MFer here...
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:19 am

When I lived in Pittsburgh, I always listened to the X and Madden. I'm not fond of Madden's views on most things, although I've never had trouble with him personally, as we've spoken a few times and in person, he's usually a nice enough guy. The main reason though I listened to the X/Madden though? They talked hockey. Period. When you're a diehard Pens fan in Pittsburgh, there are times when its hard to tune into the news or talk radio, even in Feburary without hearing about the Steelers or the Pirates still. The X/Madden are different. I rarely agree with Madden on thoughts on the Pens, but at least they're talking hockey.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:51 pm

I don't care for Madden when he gives Geno a hard time on everything and constantly sniffs Sid and Ben's jockstrap, but outside of that I like listening to him. It's not just because he talks hockey but because he's fun to listen to. I like it when he trolls yinzer nation and the Succos and when he insults the people who call into his show. On top of that, he always has great guests on every show and he's a very good interviewer.

Only downside to listening to his show is the music. When i'm listening to the Madden from 3-6 i'm listening to Madden because I want to hear him talk, not listening to the same 10 songs on every show. I mean he speaks for 8 minutes thern song come back and talks for 5 then he has to take a commercial break. There's no rhythm on his show as a result.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby Tim Thomasen on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:56 pm

npv708 wrote:When I lived in Pittsburgh, I always listened to the X and Madden. I'm not fond of Madden's views on most things, although I've never had trouble with him personally, as we've spoken a few times and in person, he's usually a nice enough guy. The main reason though I listened to the X/Madden though? They talked hockey. Period. When you're a diehard Pens fan in Pittsburgh, there are times when its hard to tune into the news or talk radio, even in Feburary without hearing about the Steelers or the Pirates still. The X/Madden are different. I rarely agree with Madden on thoughts on the Pens, but at least they're talking hockey.

Or the NBA for that matter.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby CERV96 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:15 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Proud MFer here...
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:59 am

I've been listening to Madden for years and years. Back in the day, before the online hockey community became what it now is, his show on 1250 was THE source for little inside hockey tidbits, rumors, and an insiders view of the Pens.
Being that I was a big fan of pro wrestling when he started on the airwaves, I was very much in tune with his "act" from day one. I totally got when he was heeling it up against the likes of Bettis and Hines, and how he will always defend Ben because so many Stiller fans have an instinct to blame the QB for all the teams woes.
I still listen on my drive home from work, but his content is not nearly as vital a lifeline to the puck universe as he once was. not his fault, the world we live in has very much changed. he still does snag some quality interviews and his show is generally still better than 90% of the other sports talk in this city.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:05 pm

i only ever tune in come playoff time. i think he's a great interviewer but i cant stand the way he treats his callers. he's a bully, plain and simple.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:04 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:i only ever tune in come playoff time. i think he's a great interviewer but i cant stand the way he treats his callers. he's a bully, plain and simple.

Some of those callers deserve to be treated for how they call into the show and thet's just schtick, he does that for ratings and personally I find it entertaining.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:19 pm

I listen to the NHL Channel on Sirius-XM. So, no I'm not a fan.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Buccobruce on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:36 pm

I used to listen to him religiously when he was on Espn 1250 but now I mostly download his podcasts for whatever hockey interviews I want to listen too. Plus I can get most of the interviews on his 2-3 show on penguins radio. Not a fan of all the music like a lot of people but it is a music station and thats another reason why I don't tune in that often. The Fan sucks I like starkey but thats about it. I tend to listen to sirius nhl home ice for great hockey talk.
Buccobruce
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:15 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Proud MFer here...

:pop:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NPR