How much longer for Boychuk?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: How much longer for Boychuk?

Postby Penspal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:37 am

I thought I saw a tweet from HCDB where it stated Boychuk was improving on that line, but not producing any points. In a shortened season amidst a losing streak, if HCDB moves Boychuck off line 1b, I do not disagree with it. Hopefully Boychuck can find some other minutes and find his game, but at some point, not producing is well, not producing.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 am

shmenguin wrote:cooke is a great penalty killer but isn't doing anything at even strength either. i think boychuk is 2nd line or bust, but if you're tinkering with putting him on line 3 for some reason, i'd rather make it a faster line and replace cooke. if the coaching staff thinks it would be helpful to send a message to kennedy by demoting him or sitting him for a game, i wouldn't be totally opposed to that. though they probably shouldn't have screwed around with his circuitry to begin with by putting him on LW. he was playing well until that point. either way, the 3rd line is brutal right now. where's the cycle?

Agreed they don't look to be on same page. Of the upcoming UFA/RFA forwards I would be happy to replace:
-TK (only plays ES and seems incapable without Staal, 2mil is 2much)
-Tangradi (doesn't fit system etc etc)
-Adams (love CFA but doubt he maintains current pace for a full season)
I would keep:
-Dupuis (ideally as a 3rd liner, great PKer and can move up and down as needed)
-Jeffrey (I have no delusions that he should be Geno's winger but he's a perfect 13th 'utility' guy to fill in.
I'm undecided on:
-Cooke (is the reformed Cooke effective? Is he tough to play against or can we get a better 'grinder with upside'?)
-Boychuck (if it doesn't work with Geno then he's a cheap TK replacement - try speedy line of Boychuck-Sutter-Dupuis?)
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 pm

He has looked ok with Malkin and Neal, i see him playing with them, he joins the play but he just can't get the points. If he was on another line with any other player i would wait it out... But Malkin and Neal...

It won't take long for one of them to tell the coach its not working out.

Still think you need Kunitz back on that line, Get sid a winger, Kessel, Iginla, Perry or even Chris Stewart.
Last edited by no name on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:09 pm

Why are some people so unhappy with CFA and what do these people expect from him?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Gaucho wrote:Why are some people so unhappy with CFA and what do these people expect from him?

He is just going to be physical on the odd shift and then play the PK. I will say that he has flubbed more and more clearing attempts and the presence of Crosby in the PK rotation along with Suttter for righty draws in my mind makes his spot less and less secure.

He basically kills the 4th line's offensive hopes. Not that you depend on a 4th line for offense, but when things get tough on the scoresheet you feel the effect of having him out there.

Overall, he isn't a big issue, but he also hasn't been any part of any solution.

I'm also not feeling Tanner Glass either. He isn't fast enough for 4th line duty to me. That line does not provide energy in the form of speed and physicality.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:26 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Why are some people so unhappy with CFA and what do these people expect from him?

He is just going to be physical on the odd shift and then play the PK. I will say that he has flubbed more and more clearing attempts and the presence of Crosby in the PK rotation along with Suttter for righty draws in my mind makes his spot less and less secure.

He basically kills the 4th line's offensive hopes. Not that you depend on a 4th line for offense, but when things get tough on the scoresheet you feel the effect of having him out there.

Overall, he isn't a big issue, but he also hasn't been any part of any solution.

I'm also not feeling Tanner Glass either. He isn't fast enough for 4th line duty to me. That line does not provide energy in the form of speed and physicality.

i agree with this. adams being part of a 4th line puts a lower ceiling on it than you'd like. if he's bringing it on the PK like in years past, then it's still worth it to have him around. if he's not effective on the PK, he probably doesn't belong in the NHL anymore. glass is pretty much in the same boat, but he has 10-15% more speed than adams at this point in his career which makes him someone who can still generally hang.

we're only talking about a 4th line here, so it's not like these guys are going to have a huge effect either way. but since it was brought up, it's worth mentioning
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm not unhappy with CFA, in fact I think he's played great thus far, however I think he'd struggle to maintain for a full season. Vitale flies round the ice, Glass is growing more comfortable, perhaps a faster younger model might compliment them a little more? But not Boychuck...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Good thing they scratched Vitale to correct that issue.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm

I'd say he has no role on the team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Adams turns 36 in April, so I assume he'll not be re-signed. I wouldn't mind keeping him around, though.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 pm

A 4th line of Sill-Vitale-Farnham next year would be really fun to watch -- wouldn't happen though.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 pm

If Adams were an extra forward at this point, I would be fine with it. I just think the NHL is going big and fast, or at least fast and physical on the 4th line these days. Adams lacks the speed to be effective in his even strength role. I personally do not think he adds that much to the PK either.

When teams roll out their 4th line they are looking for energy. He provides a stable presence that I don't think is needed in that spot. I want a little anarchy.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:48 pm

The Snapshot wrote:If Adams were an extra forward at this point, I would be fine with it. I just think the NHL is going big and fast, or at least fast and physical on the 4th line these days. Adams lacks the speed to be effective in his even strength role. I personally do not think he adds that much to the PK either.

When teams roll out their 4th line they are looking for energy. He provides a stable presence that I don't think is needed in that spot. I want a little anarchy.

Anarchy good, goonery bad
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:55 pm

no name wrote:He has looked ok with Malkin and Neal, i see him playing with them, he joins the play but he just can't get the points. If he was on another line with any other player i would wait it out... But Malkin and Neal...

It won't take long for one of them to tell the coach its not working out.

Still think you need Kunitz back on that line, Get sid a winger, Kessel, Iginla, Perry or even Chris Stewart.

With the cap going to $64.3-million next season, I'm not sure there's going to be room to "get Sid a winger". Here's how things look for next season:

Code: Select all
Kunitz     ($3.725m)   Crosby     ($8.700m) 
                       Malkin     ($8.700m)   Neal ($5.000m)
                       Sutter     ($2.067m) 
Glass      ($1.100m)   Vitale     ($0.550m)

Orpik      ($3.750m)        Martin     ($5.000m)
     Niskanen   ($2.300m)        Letang     ($3.500m)
     Despres    ($0.840m)        Engelland  ($0.567m)

Fleury     ($5.000m)
                       Vokoun     ($2.000m)

Salary Cap:           $64.300m
Cap Payroll:          $52.799m
Cap Space Remaining:  $11.501m
Roster Spots Open:    7

If Bennett's able to step into a top 6 spot it's be a huge help, but right now they're looking at having to find 2 top 6 wingers + 2 - 3rd line wingers + 1 - 4 line winger for $11.5-million... and hopefully have space left over for a 13th forward and 7th defenseman.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 pm

I have to admit that I'm a little underwhelmed by Glass so far. I was hoping for a little more spunk. Vitale spunk.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Gaucho wrote:Adams turns 36 in April, so I assume he'll not be re-signed. I wouldn't mind keeping him around, though.

Pens are heading toward the danger zone with ageing wingers. Adams turns 36 this year, Cooke turns 35, and Dupuis & Kunitz both turn 34.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Blysma's preferred treatment for vets is annoying. He won't sit a vet. It creates two tiers of players that divides the team from being a competitive whole. There are players competing for ice time, and then there are the players with tenure.

The truth is, almost half the forward group will be competing for new contracts for this team. Why not harness that? Rest some of the older legs and give them a moment to reflect on the state of their careers.

Otherwise, it's just going to leave the dirty work to Shero.

Oh, and surprise surprise, a couple younger players get a chance due to injury, (Despres and Bort) and prove that they've got something to contribute. It's almost like the organization leaves the development of its prospects up to Gad.
Last edited by pcm on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm

I think Dupuis and Bortuzzo get extensions during the season. Bennett should be counted on to be in the top 6 next year as well. (2.0 for Dupuis, .700 for Bort and .900 for Bennett)
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:12 pm

pcm wrote:
Oh, and surprise surprise, a couple younger players get a chance due to injury, (Despres and Bort) and prove that they've got something to contribute.

False.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:15 pm

how is that false?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Why do people think rookies/unproven players deserve playing time over players who have established themselves?

If the rookies want playing time, they have to earn it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:20 pm

Because Despres did not replace an injured player.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:25 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Why do people think rookies/unproven players deserve playing time over players who have established themselves?

How did Ben Lovejoy establish himself as a player who needs playing time over anyone?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:29 pm

@Dejan_Kovacevic: Seeing couple drills now with Kennedy on second line with Malkin, Neal. #Pens #TribHKY
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:37 pm

joopen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Why do people think rookies/unproven players deserve playing time over players who have established themselves?

How did Ben Lovejoy establish himself as a player who needs playing time over anyone?

Because he was on the team prior to this year. He knows/knew the system, and had established a position on the 3rd pairing. He got a chance to show what he could do, and the rookies were given a chance to show they were better.

Really don't get why that's a hard concept to grasp.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins