Ottawa Media

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ottawa Media

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:08 am

The worst part about playing the Maple Leafs is their obnoxious fans.

The worst part about playing the Devils is the style of play they have employed since 1994

The worst part about playing the Flyers is… everything.

The worst part about playing the Senators is definitely the pomp-pomp carrying media that covers them.

Here are a selection of quotes I pulled scanning the Ottawa Sun fishwrap this morning:

“The best player on the Senators and possibly the best player in the league, Karlsson, was cut by Pittsburgh Penguins winger Matt Cooke’s skate in a collision along the boards late in the second period.” (No, the best player in the world was in the black jersey with the #87 on the back last night)

“the play of Karlsson, who many would say has been the best non-goalie in the NHL over the first month of the season.”(Those ‘many’ being your cheerleader pressbox buddies?)

“Back in their dynasty days, the Montreal Canadiens were led by the “Big Three” on defence: Larry Robinson, Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe. Well, it seems the Ottawa Senators have an even bigger three now. On their side is God (aka Daniel Alfredsson), King (aka Erik Karlsson) and Superman (aka Chris Phillips).” (Robinson: 6 Stanley Cups. Savard; 8 Stanley Cups. Lapointe: 6 Stanley Cups)( I realize this article was sort of a joke, but still, come on…)

“A bigger secret is how the Senators have managed to contain Sidney Crosby all these years. Nobody has done it better for an extended period of time.” (he seemed sooo contained and bottled up last night, didn’t he? And they go on to compare their stats against them to… the Leafs. Little brother complex much?)

“Somebody needs to name a beer after Craig Anderson.” (Is that the Canadian equivalent of knighthood?)

“Karlsson, obviously a much different player, bested both players with his offensive abilities and overwhelming production from the blueline, lapping the field like no one has seen since Paul Coffey's best days” (wasn’t their someone who just retired from the Redwings, wore #5, racked up 7 Norris Trophies? You’re already putting Karlsson above him?)
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Ottawa Media

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 am

Are you suggesting that its unfair to say that Karlsson is in the discussion for best player in the league this season? As for lapping the field, yes he's probably the best skating defenseman since Coffey, don't see a problem with that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:18 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Are you suggesting that its unfair to say that Karlson is in the discussion for best player in the league this season?

its a fair point to discuss, but if you read the Ottawa papers they ALWAYS overinflate their own players to the n-th degree.
they will beat you over the head with the point that, he is, according to many unamed people, already the best player in the league.
he is certainly a talent, but to already be putting him in comparison to Coffey, Lidstrom, and such is a bit over the top, don't you think?
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:20 am

“It doesn’t surprise me. I looked at it 50 times. I understand where the fans are coming on it because it’s Cooke,” said former Columbus GM Doug MacLean, an analyst with Rogers Sportsnet Thursday morning. “I saw as a hit and pin play and a hit and pin play that went wrong.”
This won’t sit well with Ottawa fans. Cooke has a shady past and many believe if the incident wasn’t intentional, at the very least it was reckless and that’s why he should face some kind of discipline for what happened.
Karlsson returned to Ottawa with the Senators Wednesday after the game to have surgery here. He lacerated his achillies tendon. Two league executives told the Sun the normal recovery period is 4-to-6 months.
I don’t agree with this decision. I think Cooke should get something just because he’s Matt Cooke.

Here's Bruce "Malkin to the Kings" Garrioch's take on it. http://blogs.canoe.ca/offtheposts/gener ... Cs.twitter

His colleague, Don Brennan, called the Senators out to attack Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar back in 2008. Good times. I don't see that level of homerism in print journalists, usually.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 pm

no kevlar socks, helmet unstrapped, whose the irresponsible player here?
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:05 pm

That is going to be my new facebook profile picture.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Cooke's reaction alone proves it's an accident. If it were premeditated, his face wouldn't show shock like tha.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:33 pm

i dont think thats a shocked face. thats a concentrated face
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:
“Karlsson, obviously a much different player, bested both players with his offensive abilities and overwhelming production from the blueline, lapping the field like no one has seen since Paul Coffey's best days” (wasn’t their someone who just retired from the Redwings, wore #5, racked up 7 Norris Trophies? You’re already putting Karlsson above him?)

He outscored the next defenseman by 25 points. Prior seasons gap between #1 and #2: 6, 7, 9, 5, 2, 9, 4, 1, 3, 8, 11, 5, 2.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Karlsson is the closest to Coffey the league has seen since Coffey. I have no problems saying Karlsson is the best offensive defenseman in the league. And his defense doesn't seem to be lacking because of his desire to score.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:50 pm

Do you want me to go back to articles from 2009 and 2010 that were declaring Mike Green the new Paul Coffey?
Paul Coffey went 15 years in a row putting up 60+ points from the blueline. (I'll count his 58 points in 45 games during the 94/95 lockout as close enough)
Lets cool it with players being the next Paul Coffey every few years when a young guy breaks out for a season or two offensivly.
Karlsson is a great young player, I feel for the Sens and their fans, but Paul Coffey he is most certainly not.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Yeah, I'd like for you go to back to those articles. What are you going to do when you get there?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:53 pm

Karlsson was on his way to doing it for a second consecutive year. In fact, he was the entire offense for the Sens. He is still young, but its obviously that he is the offensively gifted defenseman since Coffey IMO. He isn't Coffey though, you are right about that. He is Erik Karlsson and his play has me believing his name will be remembered in the same tone as Coffey.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm

We'll see how he comes back. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i dont think thats a shocked face. thats a concentrated face

Looks more like a "I'm ticked off and gonna slice your ankle you punk" face to me.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby scals37 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:56 am

I'm wondering if he'll lose any jump in his skating after he fully recovers
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:27 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i dont think thats a shocked face. thats a concentrated face

thats his "what? i stomped as hard as i could and his leg is STILL attached?" face.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 pm

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/02/14/pit ... k-karlsson

Don Brennan, Ottawa Sun wrote:Matt Cooke must pay. Somehow. Somewhere. At the hands of someone.

The guy is a Devil disguised in Penguin clothes. He essentially ended the career of Marc Savard without repercussion. Yes, he's been suspended a number of times for trying to decapitate others, but then Wednesday in Pittsburgh he almost chops Erik Karlsson off at the ankle, and again nobody is doing anything about it?

For real?

It's not like Cooke is getting away with murder, but close. He probably killed the Senators' playoff chances -- and hurt attendance throughout the league

Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:20 pm

People need to shut up about Savard. Brutal hit yes, legal at the time, completely. I suppose Cooke made good ol Marc lie to doctors and come play while his brains were still scrambled to.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:People need to shut up about Savard. Brutal hit yes, legal at the time, completely. I suppose Cooke made good ol Marc lie to doctors and come play while his brains were still scrambled to.

Didn't Mike Richards lay pretty much the exact same hit on David Booth of the FLA Panthers the same year?
And nobody cried about that because A) its the FLA Panthers and B) the team didn't cause further damage to his career by trying to rush him back in time for a playoff series with the Flyers that year.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Image

no kevlar socks, helmet unstrapped, whose the irresponsible player here?

Its a great point... the reason this doesn't happen all the time is because guys wear gear to prevent it. This is like taking a puck to the face without a visor. Hindsight...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/02/14/pittsburgh-penguins-forward-matt-cooke-must-pay-for-cutting-erik-karlsson

Don Brennan, Ottawa Sun wrote:Matt Cooke must pay. Somehow. Somewhere. At the hands of someone.

The guy is a Devil disguised in Penguin clothes. He essentially ended the career of Marc Savard without repercussion. Yes, he's been suspended a number of times for trying to decapitate others, but then Wednesday in Pittsburgh he almost chops Erik Karlsson off at the ankle, and again nobody is doing anything about it?

For real?

It's not like Cooke is getting away with murder, but close. He probably killed the Senators' playoff chances -- and hurt attendance throughout the league

This kills me. They cover a team with CHRIS NEIL on it, for heavens' sake.

Equally as funny-Eugene Melnyck calling for goons (meaning Matt Cooke) should be banished from the league.

Well Mr. Hypocrite, you can start by cutting Neil.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:12 am

Cooke at his worst is a different class of dirtball than Neil at his worst. And not in a good way. Just sayin.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sniper on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Pucks_and_Pols wrote:

He outscored the next defenseman by 25 points. Prior seasons gap between #1 and #2: 6, 7, 9, 5, 2, 9, 4, 1, 3, 8, 11, 5, 2.

A big reason the gap was so big last year was the other top scoring defensemano were injured for a portion of the year. Points per game wise Karlsson was at 0.96. Pronger only played 13 games, but was at 0.92. Letang played 51 games and was at 0.82. Byfuglein played 66 games at 0.80. Had Letang played all 82 games at the same ppg pace the point difference was going to be around 12. Still very good, but not that different than other years.

My problem with him is that he is deep in the offensive zone so often that he's not really playing defense, but more of a winger while the real winger has to cover his position for him. As far as I'm concerned he's a wing who starts lined up as a defenseman. That and when he actually tries to play defense he's not very good at it. In the first Pens vs Sens game this year he was the worst defenseman on the ice. Turnover machine. He was pretty invisible before the injury last game too.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:58 pm

So what you're saying is that the article is correct, he is the next Coffey?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NPR