LetsTalkWine...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LetsTalkWine...

Postby LeopardLetang on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:30 am

haha, i was wondering when bacon grease became a term for someone. butt face on the other hand, ah, a known classic.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:08 am

eddysnake wrote:Didn't think good wine and local pa wineries could be possible together? Snobbish comments aside, Geneva on the lake in ohio is good times for bouncing around drinking lousy wine and enjoying the scenery. They have a great grape festival as well. About to open a malbec, i like playing the under $10 with coolest bottle design. Beware of Bycicle gladiatores

Pretty sure the wineries up in Erie and Northeast all specialize in fruit wines because that's the kind of grapes that grow up there. Briar Valley in Bedford is quality stuff though...pretty sure they're like a legit, like recognized place.

http://www.briarvalleywinery.com/
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:33 am

these cats are doing some cool stuff:

http://vineyardathershey.com/
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:40 am

I started getting big into wine when I got my high cholesterol result. Drink a glass of Cabernet most days, since it has the most of whatever that is that is great for your heart and body in general.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Wines from the west cost... most notably the Napa Valley region are mine. Trinchero Family Estates wines are a must to try. Many many different brands. You'll love them. tfewines.com
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Willie Kool on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:39 pm

eddysnake wrote:Didn't think good wine and local pa wineries could be possible together? Snobbish comments aside...

You ever find out what kind of grapes you had or try to make wine with them? Perhaps you could help change that perception. How could the snobs possibly look down on a bottle of Chateau de Eddysnake.

Troy Loney wrote:Pretty sure the wineries up in Erie and Northeast all specialize in fruit wines because that's the kind of grapes that grow up there.

There is definitely an overabundance of Concord and Niagara wines up here, but there are a few pretty good alternatives available.
Willie Kool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re:

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:You might try Stone Villa Wine Cellars. We went there over Thanksgiving and brought back half a case. While they don't grow many of their own grapes, they do have a wide range from sweet to dry. I am much more a dry fan, and I found several that were pretty good. My in-laws like sweeter wines, and they found several, too. They do have tastings so you can try to decide which ones you like best.

A guy that was in my wedding was a manager there. Not a fan of wine, but if I liked wine, it'd be some sort of their collection.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Didn't think good wine and local pa wineries could be possible together? Snobbish comments aside...

You ever find out what kind of grapes you had or try to make wine with them? Perhaps you could help change that perception. How could the snobs possibly look down on a bottle of Chateau de Eddysnake.

I did not, think they are just concord, but not sure. Bad weather destroyed most of them a few days before I was going to pick, so that got scrapped. For whatever reason, I didn't get much back this year, same for my apples and plums, very short supply this year.

Had a couple bottles last night

Malbec - it was good, will definitely get again, especially if its on sale for 9.99
Spoiler:

Pinot Noir - did not like one bit, way too sweet
Spoiler:

Troy Loney wrote:Pretty sure the wineries up in Erie and Northeast all specialize in fruit wines because that's the kind of grapes that grow up there. Briar Valley in Bedford is quality stuff though...pretty sure they're like a legit, like recognized place.

yeah, there not really my kind of thing, don't get me wrong though, I'm no snob, I'll drink whatevers in front of me and be happy for the most part. It's a blast going up there and bouncing from winery to winery with wonderful views of the lakes.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Re:

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:32 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:You might try Stone Villa Wine Cellars. We went there over Thanksgiving and brought back half a case. While they don't grow many of their own grapes, they do have a wide range from sweet to dry. I am much more a dry fan, and I found several that were pretty good. My in-laws like sweeter wines, and they found several, too. They do have tastings so you can try to decide which ones you like best.

A guy that was in my wedding was a manager there. Not a fan of wine, but if I liked wine, it'd be some sort of their collection.

Its cool going there on a warm day and buying a couple bottles and sitting out back to drink them. They even let us bring the dogs with us. I don't even care for wine but love their Villa Sunset.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:51 am

narcissi winery is pretty good. i admire the vintners in this area, it takes a fair amount of skill to make respectable wine
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 pm

had another good malbec last night, I think it was around $16. Really been digging these

Spoiler:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:59 pm

canaan wrote:Mega bump.

Drinking a Chilean funky llama Chardonnay while watching horror flicks tonight and this thread popped in my noggin. Glug glug glug

I see that you've taken my Chilean suggestion even three years later. Great stuff isn't it?

I wasn't the least bit surprisd that the 'Wine of choice' in Costa Rica was Chilean.

I do see some folks mentioning (Argentinian?) Malbecs. They're pretty good too. Not quite as full bodied or full flavored as the Chilean Cabs but close.

I'm already planning my vacation for Jan 2014. I've wanted to go to the wine region south of Santiago for years. It should be a lot of fun.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:00 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Drinking a Chilean funky llama Chardonnay while watching horror flicks tonight and this thread popped in my noggin. Glug glug glug

I see that you've taken my Chilean suggestion even three years later. Great stuff isn't it?

I wasn't the least bit surprisd that the 'Wine of choice' in Costa Rica was Chilean.

I do see some folks mentioning (Argentinian?) Malbecs. They're pretty good too. Not quite as full bodied or full flavored as the Chilean Cabs but close.

I'm already planning my vacation for Jan 2014. I've wanted to go to the wine region south of Santiago for years. It should be a lot of fun.

i drink mostly chilean wines...your fault. :lol:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:02 pm

canaan wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

i drink mostly chilean wines...your fault. :lol:

You're welcome 8-)

There's a HUGE difference between Chileans. The wines of the Valle Central are good the best region within that area is the Colchagua area (I may have the spelling wrong, I'll correct it in a minute).
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:02 pm

So I'm just now finishing a bottle of Silverado Vinyards Cabernet Sauvignon 2005.

I bought four bottles of this vintage in early 2010 and this is the last one.

So smooth.

It's a bit on the pricey side, but if you're wanting to celebrate with a nice beef tenderloin roast (which I did tonight), it can't be beat.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:07 pm

There's some good reviews at this site: http://www.bumwine.com/
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:35 pm

Muscadine wine.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 pm

How have I missed this thread for five years???

My wife and I are big wine drinkers. Every year for the past five summers we've gone on a wine tasting weekend trip with some of Mrs Tif's ex-coworkers. We normally go to Sonoma, altho we did Santa Barbara County two summers ago. We had our honeymoon in Tuscany at a winery called Fattoria Casa Sola, we belong to multiple CA wine clubs (Foppoli, Nicholson, Ceja are our favorites), and generally drink wine with every dinner every night.

I don't really have a favorite varietal, altho I have yet to meet an Albariño that I don't like. But while I'm a person that can drink wine just for the sake of enjoying the fruits of the labor that went into a given bottle, I primarily evaluate wine in the context of food. Since I'm a cook, I sort of naturally gravitate towards slightly more acidic wines, as they tend to be the easiest to pair.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Wine is ok the only kind of wine i really love is Tawny Port, its a real sweet fortified wine. Fortified wine is a wine during the process of making it 140 proof pear brandy is added to the barrell. This is usually 18-20% abv. wine. Really flavorful, but for most its to sweet. Suits me fine though, at the store they carry 40 year old bottles for $150, i never had anything higher than a 20 yr. tawny. If its called Porto it is from the region in Portugal.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:35 pm

i bought my mom three 375ml bottles of 2007 vintage taylor fladgate for christmas back in 08. will be pretty pumped to open those 20 years
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm

After not being able to find it for a while, the wife grabbed some Louis jadot pinot noir while in jersey, looking forward to it. Had some really good castle Rock (I think) pinot over the weekend
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:40 pm

also, in terms of dessert wines, ive taken a liking to some of the madeira wines where they are lightly baked to about 150 degrees or so for a period of time to speed up oxidation.

i had a 1984 margaux several weeks ago that was very unique. excellent bricking for a wine of that age
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LeopardLetang on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:27 pm

JS© wrote:There's some good reviews at this site: http://www.bumwine.com/

good site. read every word.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:52 pm

I've been buying random $10-12 Rieslings recently and have quite enjoyed them.
Any specific recommendations, if I want to step it up?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Schloss schonborn is good. Prager is very good but pretty $$. Poets leap if you can find are excellent value. I have heard good thing about nefarious cellars but never tried. My favorite Riesling tho is tegersneerhof which will be 30-40
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR