Game 14 vs Ottawa - Thoughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 14 vs Ottawa - Thoughts from the morning after

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:-MAF was pretty good IMO. First goal flukey (but we say that alot it seems) and second goal was a nice hard rising wrister that handcuffed him a bit. He got a piece but not enough. Came back and stoned Alfie to keep the game close. Huge save and good to see him recover from 2 quick ones to make that point blank save with the leg.

He made some big saves, but both goals were horrific. Until he eliminates these from his nightly repertoire he remains a huge question mark. That kind of goal cannot be overcome in the playoffs. He has to be better. If he only gave one of these up every 10 starts I wouldn't care, but he makes great saves and then gives up a bad goal every night it seems. That is why he has so few shutouts. He clearly deserved one last night if he had made two routine plays more

To anyone thinking Cooke did that one purpose, what exactly would his motivation be to throw away a year + of clean work on that play? Was it revenge on Karlsson...no, the kid barely touches anyone out there. Was it because that game was so important that it was worth risking his career with a new suspension that would surely end his time in Pittsburgh.....no. Was there a subtext of cheap play going on that would lead him to exact revenge on their best player....no. There's just no reason he would have stepped out of his recent character for that moment willingly.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Agreed, Snapshot. Whether it was his own decision or an ultimatum from the Penguins (or both) -- Cookie knew that he'd have to change, which he did. He has no reason or incentive to willingly step backwards and throw that away.

I certainly don't expect many outside of the Penguin universe to like Cookie. But people on HFboards go so far as to call him a "sociopath" or compare him to a serial killer, it's just completely dumb.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PhantomJB93 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:40 pm

sil wrote:I have to say, Engelland was terrible last night...and terrible is putting it nicely. He was so far out of position on the second OTT goal, he may as well have not even been out there.

I know Engelland has "experience" but I think Bortuzzo has earned a spot in the top 6 at least until he does something to warrant being benched, and to this point, he hasn't.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:19 am

littlemoonboot wrote:Agreed, Snapshot. Whether it was his own decision or an ultimatum from the Penguins (or both) -- Cookie knew that he'd have to change, which he did. He has no reason or incentive to willingly step backwards and throw that away.

I certainly don't expect many outside of the Penguin universe to like Cookie. But people on HFboards go so far as to call him a "sociopath" or compare him to a serial killer, it's just completely dumb.

What did you think about the implied conspiracy about Canadian players taking out Swedish players in anticipation of Sochi? O. M. G.

That thread is like a "Twilight Zone" marathon. No, it's Bizarro World.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:47 am

lots of speculation now that Karlsson's achille's ruptured rather than was cut. lack of blood seems to be reason people think this. thoughts?
I'd love it if that were the case and became public and Murray had to eat his words about Cookie.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:58 am

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Odd, but don't recall Eugene (Barbados) Melnyk's outrage when Chris Neil's headshot took out Brian Boyle in last year's playoffs.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins