Sens owner things Cooke deserves lifetime ban

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sens owner things Cooke deserves lifetime ban

Postby PensFaninRegina on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:56 pm

TSN.ca wrote:Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk is "outraged" that his club will be without Norris Trophy-winning defenceman Erik Karlsson for the remainder of the season.

Melnyk spoke to the Ottawa Sun on Thursday and wondered aloud why Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke, whose skate blade cut Karlsson's achilles tendon on Wednesday night, was still allowed to play in the league after being suspended by the NHL five times previously.

"I'm very upset. Actually I'm more than upset; I'm outraged that in this day and age this continues," said Melnyk. "Whether it's accidental or not, that's not our job to judge. That's why the NHL is there to assess it.

"This guy should be kicked ... He doesn't belong in the league. He belongs somewhere where the goons play," Melnyk told the Sun. "Get him in the Central League. He can be a $60,000-a-year guy playing pick-up hockey there."

This isn't the first time that Melnyk has expressed his thoughts on handing out lifetime bans to repeat offenders. In 2010, Jason Spezza suffered a shoulder injury after being hit by Penguins forward Kris Letang, and Melynk spoke out after that incident as well.

"(Cooke has) got one purpose. I remember when this happened with Spezza. I said, 'If these are the rules, I just want to know.' We'll play with the same rules. Make sure you have one or two goons whose job is to do this either intentionally or unintentionally.

"I'm OK with it, just tell me I'm OK with it. I play by the rules. I'm just shocked an organization would do this," added Melnyk.

Melynk also told the Sun that he contacted the league after Karlsson's injury and stated that he thought Cooke should have been suspended for the incident.

"I can't comment on (Cooke not getting suspended) only because it's not helpful for anybody," Melnyk stated. "They came to their conclusions and it's not going to change anything."

Despite the challenges of losing Spezza and Karlsson to significant injuries and not having defenceman Jared Cowen for the entire year due to hip surgery, Melynk expressed his belief to the Sun that his team can make the playoffs.

"I really believe with fan support that this is a team that has the motivation and the veterans that can motivate the young ones, that we can pull together and I believe that we can pull this off. These guys can use this to rally around this tragedy.

"I believe we can be lucky enough to pull this off."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416046
PensFaninRegina
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Sens owner things Cooke deserves lifetime ban

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Andy Sutton.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 pm

u mad?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 pm

I understand his frustration, and Cooke has certainly earned his reputation. I think it's completely out of line for an owner to speak out like this on pretty much anything, though.

That said, this statement is absurd:

"Whether it's accidental or not, that's not our job to judge. That's why the NHL is there to assess it.

"This guy should be kicked ... He doesn't belong in the league. He belongs somewhere where the goons play," Melnyk told the Sun. "Get him in the Central League. He can be a $60,000-a-year guy playing pick-up hockey there."

Clearly, he doesn't think it is an accident, so why not say so? Say "he did it on purpose, and he should be kicked out of the league." Otherwise, the owner absurdly suggests that "if it was an accident, he still deserves to be kicked out of the league."
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:01 pm

Todd Bertuzzi wearing the hallowed winged uniform and loved.
Last edited by penny lane on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Does he mean Chris Neil, the goon/joke on his own team?

Ottawa makes it sound like they were the number 1 seed right now, they had no chance of winning the cup this year, fringe playoff team at best. It sucks. He's going to miss like 30 games only because of the short season. Isn't Spezza out with a serious injury as well? Just devote the season to Alfreddson, give the C to Spezza next year and move on...

Crybaby Ottawa.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Whether it's accidental or not, that's not our job to judge. That's why the NHL is there to assess it.

and they have, moron.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:02 pm

So, banned for life regardless of it being intentional or not?

Ok.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:03 pm

And before he was traded to the Sens:

Melnyk has no room.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Melnyk should be fined. I'm serious.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:05 pm

I forgot about the attempted murder of Leopold.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Krom on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:06 pm

"Make sure you have one or two goons whose job is to do this either intentionally or unintentionally."

How can it be someone's job to do something unintentionally?
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:06 pm

I understand the anger/frustration...this will hit his pocketbook pretty hard, his star attraction is out and it probably will cost him playoff revenues...

What I don't understand is why he should be kicked out of the league if it's accidental or not...? At least lie and say Cooke did it on purpose and he should be banned...not "things happen...and they include lifetime bans" - no one got kicked out of the league when incidents with Zednik and Malarchuk happened...

I don't mind him being outraged, I just don't get the rationale behind the request...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 pm

mikey287 wrote:I understand the anger/frustration...this will hit his pocketbook pretty hard, his star attraction is out and it probably will cost him playoff revenues...

What I don't understand is why he should be kicked out of the league if it's accidental or not...? At least lie and say Cooke did it on purpose and he should be banned...not "things happen...and they include lifetime bans" - no one got kicked out of the league when incidents with Zednik and Malarchuk happened...

I don't mind him being outraged, I just don't get the rationale behind the request...

Anger has no rationale.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Gaucho wrote:Melnyk should be fined. I'm serious.

I thought the same thing when I read this article earlier today. The NHL should fine him (a solid dollar amount) and make it VERY known publicly. His comments border on lunacy.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:10 pm

mikey287 wrote:I understand the anger/frustration...this will hit his pocketbook pretty hard, his star attraction is out and it probably will cost him playoff revenues...

I wonder if he felt Hossa should have had a lifetime ban when he chopped Berard's eye out?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwest21 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 pm

canaan wrote:
Whether it's accidental or not, that's not our job to judge. That's why the NHL is there to assess it.

and they have, moron.

but apparently not to the moron's satisfaction. I fully expect on-ice retribution for this, now.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:15 pm

I don't even know what to thing about this.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 pm

So has anyone in the media brought up the fact that Cooke only had like 40 pims last year, with no majors or suspensions? I don't follow hockey media, but it seems like this information is relevant
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwest21 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Last edited by jwest21 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Does this loon even realize he employs Chris Neil?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:23 pm

That's the second Chris Neil knock, and while I don't love him and he's an enforcer type player, he's actually got a pretty clean rap sheet. In fact, has he ever been suspended for anything ever? He's a by-the-code guy pretty much and I even support what he did to Cooke after the game to be honest...a star player got hurt, Neil wanted to take him to task for it, accidental or not, Neil should have gone over and started pushing him around...show that he cares about his teammate...the game was over, why not? And I'm not even a fan of fighting really...but Neil is a pretty stand-up guy actually...

Melnyk makes of a fool of himself enough in the article, no reason to drag anything else into it really...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:28 pm

He should be fined. He's an owner who is responsible through the commissioner he hires to make the rules; yet be acts like he has no influence. To be acting in such a way publicly instead of discreetly leads me to believe the other owners think he's an idiot.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Did Lemieux get fined for his talk about headshots?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins