Ottawa Media

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ottawa Media

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:33 pm

I think the comparison of Karlsson to Coffey is warranted. Possibly two of the best offensive defensemen i've seen in my lifetime. The only problem is both were/are clueless in their own end.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:18 pm

sniper wrote:
Kraftster wrote:In the first Pens vs Sens game this year he was the worst defenseman on the ice. Turnover machine. He was pretty invisible before the injury last game too.

I watched the Sens quite a bit because I did find them entertaining, but this is pretty accurate about Karlsson just as it was about Coffey. People need to decide whether the Norris for them is about an all-around defenseman ala Lidstrom - or is it an award for the most offensively flashy guy.

Coffey and Karlsson were both liabilities in their defensive zone. Last year in the Playoffs, he was an even player but was held to 1 point in 7 games by the Rangers. The year before, he produced points, but was -4. The Rangers targeted him for punishment and he was ground down.

I'm not saying he isn't fun to watch, but I didn't like Coffey for mailing it in in the defensive zone and I am not ready for Karlsson's coronation for that reason.

If you look at Letang's point per game average last year, and then consider how hard and physical he plays - I'm not sure I would pick Karlsson over him. The guy needs to play top-line minutes for your team no doubt, but he is definitely then impacting your team's style of play as open and loose in the defensive zone. Your D, whether effective or not, is NOT going to be hard to play against for the 28 minutes a night he is on the ice.

It's a valid argument. The Oilers and Pens, where Coffey had his greatest successes, won on Offense and timely goaltending. That is not where the league is right now and may never be again. If Coffey scored 100 point from D, it didn't matter that he barely tried in the defensive zone.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:47 am

Garrioch began whining on Twitter during a recent game when Cooke was serving a minor penalty.

Karlsson was whining at a press conference today, wound up by Garrioch and Brennan:

“He knows exactly what he is doing out there. That is why I am sitting here with leg in cast.”

http://fromthepoint.com/penguins/karlss ... -me-before
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:50 am

"I don't think he did it intentionally, but it's Matt Cooke; he knows exactly what he's doing"

Karlsson's rant in a nutshell.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:55 am

Karlsson's comment about supporting Melnyck's view says it all (saw it in a tweet). It doesn't matter what he actually thinks. He is toeing the party line, parroting the owner.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Karlsson's comment about supporting Melnyck's view says it all (saw it in a tweet). It doesn't matter what he actually thinks. He is toeing the party line, parroting the owner.

this comment goes a bit beyond that. it's just a total disconnect from reality.

“He knows exactly what he is doing out there. That is why I am sitting here with leg in cast.”
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to NPR