Mindy McCready dead at 37

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Mindy McCready dead at 37

Postby viva la ben on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:39 pm

Police are reporting she died of an apparent self inflicted gunshot wound.

RIP

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/17/showbiz/m ... ?hpt=hp_t1
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Mindy McCready dead at 37

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Wow, she had to be really ill to leave her two kids one of only 10 months old. Sad.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JS© on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:47 am

so not only did she leave her two kids without ever really knowing their parents, she also shot the dog before shooting herself.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:55 am

Extremely sad, wasn't she involved with Roger Clemens?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:57 am

SolidSnake wrote:Extremely sad, wasn't she involved with Roger Clemens?

That is what google tells me.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:47 am

Shed been fighting substance abuse issues and had been a train wreck lately. What a shame.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 am

I had never heard of this person, must have been pretty messed up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:12 am

Quite tragic
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:48 am

RIP
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 am

RIP. Although she has been really f'd up lately. I wasn't surprised when I heard this. I feel bad for the kids.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 am

Never heard of her...was this an Amy Winehouse type of situation?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:33 am

you have to be a first rate jagoff to kill your own dog.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:43 am

Awful. What's not helping is when people - especially celebs - say that addition is a disease. Bullcrap. Cancer, lupus, the flu, those are diseases that people get without choosing to do so. But if one gets hooked on something, it's entirely within their power to stop. This is coming from someone who was addicted to chewing tobacco for 20 years. My addiction wasn't a disease, it was a damned stupid choice I kept making every day for a long time. Took a while to stop, but I did it, and now dip-free for coming up on 5 years. Thinking of it as a 'disease' would remove personal culpability for my actions, which is the downside of all this celebrity 'it's not your fault' crap that's doing way more harm than good.

And as usual, an innocent kid suffers.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:you have to be a first rate jagoff to kill your own dog.

Agreed
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:25 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Wow, she had to be really ill to leave her two kids one of only 10 months old. Sad.

Kids are lucky to be alive. Apparently they had been taken from her recently... again.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby BadHands71 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Eismann wrote:Awful. What's not helping is when people - especially celebs - say that addition is a disease. Bullcrap. Cancer, lupus, the flu, those are diseases that people get without choosing to do so. But if one gets hooked on something, it's entirely within their power to stop. This is coming from someone who was addicted to chewing tobacco for 20 years. My addiction wasn't a disease, it was a damned stupid choice I kept making every day for a long time. Took a while to stop, but I did it, and now dip-free for coming up on 5 years. Thinking of it as a 'disease' would remove personal culpability for my actions, which is the downside of all this celebrity 'it's not your fault' crap that's doing way more harm than good.

The flip side of this is that mental illness is a disease, and unfortunately people with mental illness are far more prone to addictions. I completely agree that addiction itself isn't a mental illness. Part of the issue is the stigma against mental illness in this country, and unfortunately people who are mentally ill don't get treatment when they need it and often end up addicted.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby legame on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Eismann wrote:Awful. What's not helping is when people - especially celebs - say that addition is a disease. Bullcrap. Cancer, lupus, the flu, those are diseases that people get without choosing to do so. But if one gets hooked on something, it's entirely within their power to stop. This is coming from someone who was addicted to chewing tobacco for 20 years. My addiction wasn't a disease, it was a damned stupid choice I kept making every day for a long time. Took a while to stop, but I did it, and now dip-free for coming up on 5 years. Thinking of it as a 'disease' would remove personal culpability for my actions, which is the downside of all this celebrity 'it's not your fault' crap that's doing way more harm than good.

I'm having trouble agreeing with this after watching my dad drink himself to death...
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 pm

legame wrote:

I'm having trouble agreeing with this after watching my dad drink himself to death...

That's terrible, I wish it didn't happen, and I don't know the circumstances.

My three great uncles who smoked and drank themselves to death before age 60 were mentally competent, stupid and knew exactly what they were doing. As are millions of people with self-destructive behaviors of all kinds right now.

For the love of what ever people find valuable: if you know you're doing something destructive, stop it now. And if you think you can't, get help. Now.

What helped me stop dipping was something a veteran quitter said: you don't want to be sitting in hospital bed with poisons coursing through your veins in a last-ditch attempt to save your life, and having to look your kid/husband/wife in the eye and tell them you got there because you didn't want to stop doing what is was that put you there.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Never really heard of her before. Feel awful for her kids, but apparently she's attempted suicide like 5 times, including once when she was pregnant. Any sympathy for her goes straight out the window. Congrats on having success this time.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to NHR