will mcphee get fired?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

will mcphee get fired?

Postby Godric on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:26 am

Will he?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: will mcphee get fired?

Postby bhaw on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:32 am

If the team plays bad enough that attendance also suffers, yes.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:58 am

Well, something needs to change, and he is the only thing that hasn't recently.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:15 am

Unfortunately, I don't think he is the problem per se. When your 2 star players are pedestrian at best, mixed in with the rapid decline of Mike Green, and goaltending that can labeled shaky at best all adds up to a formula where your team will fail. But, I do think think he will be fired here in the next year or so if things don't turn around.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:18 am

I agree with Rylan, if not this summer, then definitely next season if things continue to go south.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:02 am

Rylan wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think he is the problem per se. When your 2 star players are pedestrian at best, mixed in with the rapid decline of Mike Green, and goaltending that can labeled shaky at best all adds up to a formula where your team will fail. But, I do think think he will be fired here in the next year or so if things don't turn around.

If those problems aren't caused by him, who caused them?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 am

Gee, I hope not. That would mean them really changing...

The team has a problematic franchise culture that stems from ownership on down as well. Having "arrived" when you really haven't, telling your star to just be free and himself thus letting the inmates run the asylum, and the Penguin complex -- "Pittsburgh has their Cup..." just waiting in line with this sense of entitlement like one is naturally meant to fall into your lap, too.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 am

I don't think he decided for Ovie, Backstrom, and Mike Green to have rapid and severe declines in play.

Based on the play of Holtby and Neuvirth I would also be encouraged and feel that goaltending was going to be fine heading into this season.

Looking over their roster and I don't find too many places on paper that show major weakness. This should be a well rounded team capable of scoring significantly more than they do. They could probably go for another defenseman or winger, but many teams can say that.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:16 am

The GM signs the players, they and they alone are responsible for those contracts. Boudreau didn't sign Ovechkin and his leach to decade long deals.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:22 am

what?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:26 am

The GM is responsible for the players' play declining. He's also responsible for trading away the team's best goalie without having a viable replacement. If personnel is the issue, its on the GM.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:41 am

Rylan wrote:I don't think he decided for Ovie, Backstrom, and Mike Green to have rapid and severe declines in play.

Based on the play of Holtby and Neuvirth I would also be encouraged and feel that goaltending was going to be fine heading into this season.

Looking over their roster and I don't find too many places on paper that show major weakness. This should be a well rounded team capable of scoring significantly more than they do. They could probably go for another defenseman or winger, but many teams can say that.

Out of this thread, this is the post that's closest to saving me from typing all that much. It's pretty much on the money.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:01 am

There is a perfect storm of underwhelming in Washington. Semin regressed to the point of not being re-signed. Backstrom regressed. Ovechkin regressed. Green regressed. The young D (Carlson, Alzner, etc) haven't been consistent. Fleischmann wasn't replaced. Varlamov wasn't replaced. Perrault/Johanssen are inconsistent. Chimera hasn't contributed. Joel Ward has been the only player that has been a bright spot.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 am

canaan wrote:Joel Ward has been the only player that has been a bright spot.

Ribero would like a word

But yeah, the team just isn't playing to their peak ability.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 am

yeah, i forgot him. oops.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Rylan wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think he is the problem per se. When your 2 star players are pedestrian at best, mixed in with the rapid decline of Mike Green, and goaltending that can labeled shaky at best all adds up to a formula where your team will fail. But, I do think think he will be fired here in the next year or so if things don't turn around.

If those problems aren't caused by him, who caused them?

This... his cap space is overweight on 8 and 19, and has little room to make any adjustment that could be meaningful. He's reliant on the system producing NHL talent, and that takes time. They seem to have squandered their best opportunity and are in the middle of a complete rebuild. To rebuild, sometimes you need to move key guys to shake things up.

What hurts is that all his major pieces have NMC, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Green or Backstrom moved over the summer.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby brwi on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:21 pm

Going from BB to Dale Hunter and now Oates rather quickly sure doesn't help either.

I don't know what is up with Backstrom because he's got a lot of talent but can't seem to do a helluva lot any more. Green starts to try and be more defensively responsible and then can't do anything offensively. AO isn't the same guy from the past. Their young goaltenders that looked very promising are showing some real flaws.

Doubt McPhee gets fired but there are some real problems in DC.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:44 pm

brwi wrote:Going from BB to Dale Hunter and now Oates rather quickly sure doesn't help either.

I don't know what is up with Backstrom because he's got a lot of talent but can't seem to do a helluva lot any more. Green starts to try and be more defensively responsible and then can't do anything offensively. AO isn't the same guy from the past. Their young goaltenders that looked very promising are showing some real flaws.

Doubt McPhee gets fired but there are some real problems in DC.

The coach shuffle is another McPhee problem, not sure why I forgot that. Should have hired someone who actually wanted to coach in the NHL.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:57 pm

the contract they gave ovechkin never made any sense. if you commit to that many years, you typically get a discount in price. they got the worst of both worlds.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:07 pm

OV isn't on a line with Backstrom anymore either. That's an Oates mistake though.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Every time I visit Capgeek and see Ovechkin signed until I am 38 years old and Backstrom to a similar length I lulz wholeheartedly
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:48 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Every time I visit Capgeek and see Ovechkin signed until I am 38 years old and Backstrom to a similar length I lulz wholeheartedly

Ovechkin wasn't even draft eligible when I was 38. :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:21 pm

When backstrom signed that deal most people on here thought it was a great home town discount for the Caps. Not sure what happened to him
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:40 pm

MarioLives wrote:When backstrom signed that deal most people on here thought it was a great home town discount for the Caps. Not sure what happened to him

He got a concussion and hasn't been the same player since then.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Durbano wrote:
MarioLives wrote:When backstrom signed that deal most people on here thought it was a great home town discount for the Caps. Not sure what happened to him

He got a concussion and hasn't been the same player since then.

Also, there's that thing about the caps playing a recklessly offensive game, and how their players stopped producing once they abandoned that strategy.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to NPR