Two questions for homeowners

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Two questions for homeowners

Postby eddysnake on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Friends of the family knew we were looking & gave us an offer we couldn't refuse, ended up working pretty well in regards to any questions with the history of the house. Like nan said, location is everything, we got a smaller house but couldn't have ended up with a better location.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tomas on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:24 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Additional question:

When you went to view the home you eventually purchased what was your initial reaction to it? How long did it take you to decide that it was the right house for you?

I simply cannot decide on a house over, say, a weekend trip. So, in my case, I found my house after seeing 30+ properties over several months. I was not looking for a steal, but I simply had some requirements I did not want to compromise on. Usually, it took me less than 5 minutes to realize "this cannot be the house for me." The "winning property" was the first house where this did not happen.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Something I always thought was good was to keep looking after you found "the one" as long as it didn't mean losing out on it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:29 pm

mac5155 wrote:Something I always thought was good was to keep looking after you found "the one" as long as it didn't mean losing out on it.

Do you have a history of second guessing yourself?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Third fourth and fifth actually
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Me too
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:42 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Additional question:

When you went to view the home you eventually purchased what was your initial reaction to it? How long did it take you to decide that it was the right house for you?

We liked it from the start. It was just a matter of if we'd find anything better. However, we were in a bit of a time crunch and we really liked the neighborhood, so it was an easy choice.

Another thing, not a bad idea to get a home warranty. We had the seller include a year warranty in the deal. I've just kept it up since that year was up, at about $40 a month. Every summer we have AC issues, have had the oven repaired, and had a plumbing issue. Each was covered by the warranty.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Yep, my fiancees mom bought a home in 2011 and got a home warranty. It's more than paid for itself. Clogged sewer main, gas pipe leak, and furnace blower all covered with like $100 deductible. If you only keep it for the first few years its still worth it. I think i'll definitely get one when we buy our first home.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:55 pm

We have a home warranty too. It has paid for itself easily.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:55 pm

That is one of the benefits of building new. We get a 10 year home warranty with the house. Can't be happier about that.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Shyster wrote:
Tomas wrote:One other thing: only after I bought my house, I realized how costly it is to maintain it (especially comparing to just renting an apartment). There are so many things that can go wrong in the crawlspace, attic, roof, plumbing system - even for well built houses. The deck needs to be re-stained every X years. Even relatively new HVAC systems can break, same with water tanks. Plus the costs of maintaining the property. Etc, etc...

Preach on, brother. After a couple years of owning my house I discovered that my main sewer line was infiltrated with tree roots to the point that the only way to fix it was to dig it up. The cost for that was $7,000. Seven thousand freaking dollars. That was years ago and it still hurts.

After several sewage backups into the basement, we just did the same thing a few months ago. It was 4 grand. Either your yard is a lot bigger than mind or your plumber's got some splaining to do.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:34 pm

shmenguin wrote:After several sewage backups into the basement, we just did the same thing a few months ago. It was 4 grand. Either your yard is a lot bigger than mind or your plumber's got some splaining to do.

Because I live on a hill and my front yard slopes, my sewer line is extra deep underground; I think it was somewhere around 10’ deep. it was deep enough that the plumbers had to bring in a bracing device to shore up the hole. That was the source of the extra cost.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm

That'll do it. We were lucky everything was shallow enough that they didn't need safety precautions. Though they tore up our side walk, clipped our water line by accident, found a mystery pipe that required the police and fire dept to come and then they couldn't shut off the water valve at the street because of 70 years of corrosion. So I had a nice argument with the township about who was responsible for that valve.

Yaaaay homeownership.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:03 pm

We are in the process of selling our house and buying a bigger one. Such a pain in the rear. We need to sell our current house to buy a new one, and every house that we like goes off the market as soon as we see it. This bodes well for us selling, but we are worried about finding something we like since they are selling so fast around us. We just put our house on the market yesterday. Our agent said that she would be shocked if it didnt sell in 2 weeks. We shall see.

Also, for those who have recently sold, what % of the sale price of your house did you pay in commission to your agent?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:41 pm

I wish that we never bought our house. The realtor and home inspector were in collusion as it turns out, the sellers covered a ton of stuff on our post-inspection list up or fixed it poorly which malfunctioned soon after we moved in, the house is a constant source of stress, and it is a lemon. Pretty much anything that could go wrong has. Oh, and the sellers directly lied on the disclosure and had their realtor represent them at the closing and didn't even bother to show up.

I'm lawyering up on this one.

I wish I could walk away right now but can't. So it's been a fun year.

I do not recommend Coldwell Banker South Hills by ANY means.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:06 pm

We used Coldwell Banker South Hills for our first house, and had no issues. Though our realtor has since moved on from them and is with Prudential. Wonder if she left them because they are shady.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR