Mario Lemieux fantasy camp

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Mario Lemieux fantasy camp

Postby CERV96 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:18 pm

I know this is an extreme amount of money for most people. I said what the hey and took a loan out to do this. If you have any chance to do something once in a life time. Do it!

I am also aware some people posted about this before but I thought I would go ahead and share my experience with everyone on here and those who don't have me as their friend on facebook(more pics are on there) :pop:

Contract signing and photo op with Mario Q the Morozov jokes!
Spoiler:

Ran in to the Janitor so I had to get a pic.
Spoiler:

Neal came in to our locker room for a visit.
Spoiler:

Also Paul Coffey showed up due to the lockout
Spoiler:

Here is the camp video of the experience. They even show me beating Billy Guerin to a loose puck for a goal at the 3:05 mark to score a goal. I am sure he let me beat him though :pop:

Here is a link to a series of other videos from the camp. There are a few interviews in there from me as well.
http://www.mariolemieux.org/2013-daily-videos/

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me. It supports a great cause and it is something that you will never forget.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Mario Lemieux fantasy camp

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Were you free to get autographs of said Pens? And when you say loan, how much was this whole experience? Very cool thing though.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Wow that looked awesome, i can't imagine the money it cost?? 10k - 15k??
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:54 pm

no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby viva la ben on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:02 pm

viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Godric on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Gsnyder58 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:19 pm

I can't remember the exact difference but the Gretzky camp is like $15k+++ where this one was considerably less. Not like any of us would go Gretzky fantasy camp over this anyways.
Gsnyder58

Postby CERV96 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:25 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Were you free to get autographs of said Pens? And when you say loan, how much was this whole experience? Very cool thing though.

Absolutely they signed whatever I wanted signed. The price was $8,766.00
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Gsnyder58 wrote:I can't remember the exact difference but the Gretzky camp is like $15k+++ where this one was considerably less. Not like any of us would go Gretzky fantasy camp over this anyways.

Some of the campers said they went to both. They said this one was 10x better. They said there wasn't as much celebrity/player interaction as example dress in the same locker room as them and stay in the same hotel.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Awesome. If I hit the lottery or get rich this is one of the first things I am doing. Did you ask Mario if they're bringing back the 90s cup jerseys?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SDPen77 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Wow this is cool. Thanks for sharing. What an awesome experience! I am sure it was worth the money.
SDPen77

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Looks cool cerv.

Not trying to be a jerk, serious question, how did you get a loan for a fantasy hockey camp?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Looks cool cerv.

Not trying to be a jerk, serious question, how did you get a loan for a fantasy hockey camp?

Just went to my credit union and asked for a personal loan and they approved it.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Awesome. If I hit the lottery or get rich this is one of the first things I am doing. Did you ask Mario if they're bringing back the 90s cup jerseys?

Nah, but I do believe they are trying to get those for the campers to wear next year.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby champeen on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:38 pm

i wonder how many beers theo snuck in before getting up and singing 'brown-eyed girl'....
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:06 am

Awesome stuff, great pics! Lol @ Janitor
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 am

champeen wrote:i wonder how many beers theo snuck in before getting up and singing 'brown-eyed girl'....

LOL. He was one of the more personable guys there. If he saw someone sitting by themselves he would walk right over and start talking to you.

His co-captian was Tocchet and he(Tocchet) said in the locker room that the showers were nice and Theo said "like I never heard that one before"
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Should of told Neal to wash his hair. Thanks for sharing the pics and vid. If i had the money i would of done that in a minute.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:21 pm

no name wrote:Should of told Neal to wash his hair. Thanks for sharing the pics and vid. If i had the money i would of done that in a minute.

I did offer him a beer. He declined, said he was in training. If the lockout never happened we would not have been able to get anywhere near those guys. The lockout ended on day 2 of the camp and the Pens were going in and out of the arena all throughout camp to get their gear and stuff. The guys who went to the camp the year before said they wouldn't let you anywhere near them.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Batman15 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:34 am

Thank you for posting this, I missed the video going up on youtube. Hopefully our dvds are in the mail!

Second year doing it, a truly amazing experience. Cant say enought about Mario, the alumni, and the entire foundation. They sure know how to exceed expectations.

I did actually tell Neal - "Nice Hair" he got a pretty big kick out of it.
Batman15
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CERV96 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:54 am

Seeing last years youtube video was the deal breaker that made me decide to do this. At first I was like no way I would pay this much and then I saw the video on the website and said I have to do this. It was worth every penny for me thats for sure. I am guessing this must be a sign that the dvd is almost complete.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 am

Sounds awesome. What all is included in the package? Meals, hotel, transportation? How much time do you spend on your own, or do they keep you with the group and pretty busy the entire time? We need to ask a CPA if you can write it off on you tax return since the money is going to a charity! I've thought about attending this before. I'm just a few years out of college so if I start saving now maybe I can go in like 15 years!
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:38 am

PensHckyFan79 wrote: We need to ask a CPA if you can write it off on you tax return since the money is going to a charity!

Not to tangent away from the topic of the thread but you can't write if off as itemized unless the money is above the FMV of the experience.

For example: You attend a banquet for some charity that costs you $250 to get through the door (dinner and activities). Unless you are donating money beyond that $250 you paid to get in, IRS will say :thumbdown:
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Everything was included in the cost. The only thing we had to have was tipping money if you wanted to tip. If you wanted a beer at the hotel bar you had to pay for that as well. Different players stayed an closed the hotel bar every night if they wanted. Domi closed the bar every night. We got to keep all the team issued gear pant shells, gloves, hockey bag , and helmet.

I was told we will get a itemized reciept of what we can claim on our taxes along with the dvd when it arrives in the mail.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Godric on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 pm

CERV96 wrote:His co-captian was Tocchet and he(Tocchet) said in the locker room that the showers were nice and Theo said "like I never heard that one before"

that would make me cringe
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins