Buying a new bed. (Mattress and Box Spring)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Buying a new bed. (Mattress and Box Spring)

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 am

Yeah thats why we need to move to the Queen sized bed. Currently have a roommate that doesn't want a pet. I am goign to move on getting a german shephard as soon as we move, and it will be sleeping in or on the bed if he so desires. You haven't met me, so you don't understand that I wouldn't take up much space in a bed though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:32 am

Sleep Number beds need some acclimation time - it took me about 10 days to get used to it, and we love it. Everytime I change the setting, I go through a smaller acclimation period, where I have trouble sleeping for a few days...But once you get it set, it is really very comfortable.

As for complaints that it's a glorified air mattress, there is a memory foam top layer that you sleep on that conforms to your body. The inflatable part is underneath that.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:33 am

I did not know that was how sleep number beds worked. Sounds cheap. I'd rather just find the right mattress and purchase it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:52 am

Azkar wrote:That's one fat golden.

Haha. Hes massive. My fiancee is always asking the vet about his weight, and he says he's a healthy weight. She's worried he's going to have hip problems.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 am

beware if you visit a Sleep Number store or send for more info. you will never get off their junk mail list, even if you tell them you bought another mattress.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I did not know that was how sleep number beds worked. Sounds cheap. I'd rather just find the right mattress and purchase it.

Nothing cheap about it (literally and figuratively :lol: ) - it's a solid feeling bed that happens to be adjustable. I was a skeptic until we tried one.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:33 am

when we visited the Sleep Number bed we found the motor to be kind of loud. that and we didn't want to have to deal with what happened when the motor burned out. yes they have a warranty but after the first 2 years it doesn't cover 100%. less moving parts = less things to break.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:40 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I did not know that was how sleep number beds worked. Sounds cheap. I'd rather just find the right mattress and purchase it.

Nothing cheap about it (literally and figuratively :lol: ) - it's a solid feeling bed that happens to be adjustable. I was a skeptic until we tried one.

I'm still at a point where I can either sleep on a bed with no support or sleep on a thinly carpeted floor, I don't think i'd appreciate it. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:43 pm

viva la ben wrote:
Ron Trzcinski wrote:This is Ron Trzcinski...

Annoying, yet effective... :slug:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 pm

shoeshine boy wrote:when we visited the Sleep Number bed we found the motor to be kind of loud. that and we didn't want to have to deal with what happened when the motor burned out. yes they have a warranty but after the first 2 years it doesn't cover 100%. less moving parts = less things to break.

Truth be told, I rarely use the motor. I set it and forget it, and check it maybe once a month.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Azkar wrote:
Rylan wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Spend the money on a sleep number. After 7 years there is no difference in the mattress. Lifetime warranty too. A Dyson and a Sleep Number in every home. Thats what I say...

Are they really that nice?

I slept on a sleep number once and it was really bad compared to my bed from the Original Mattress Factory.

Guess Im a freak of nature. I had chronic shoulder pain that was gone after 2 nights on our bed.

Sure, you can call it a glorified air mattress, but its design makes it just a tad more complicated than just an air blubber you fill.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
shoeshine boy wrote:when we visited the Sleep Number bed we found the motor to be kind of loud. that and we didn't want to have to deal with what happened when the motor burned out. yes they have a warranty but after the first 2 years it doesn't cover 100%. less moving parts = less things to break.

Truth be told, I rarely use the motor. I set it and forget it, and check it maybe once a month.

Same here. We didn't even get the sleep number option. It was $200 more to have a remote that tells you the number. I could care less that I'm a 45 or a 50.

Temperpedic beds heat up with your body temp and become saggy. That has been my experience at least.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:31 pm

I bought the 2nd most expensive one from original mattress factory... I think Super Pillow top?

That really is the best place to get a mattress. They eliminate the middle man and all associated costs.

The coiling system is excellent, and the double-sided pillow top feature pretty much doubles the life of your mattress
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:35 pm

That was something i was astonished at, the lack of double sided mattresses.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:I bought the 2nd most expensive one from original mattress factory... I think Super Pillow top?

That really is the best place to get a mattress. They eliminate the middle man and all associated costs.

The coiling system is excellent, and the double-sided pillow top feature pretty much doubles the life of your mattress

Exactly what i bought. The mattress that was one step softer was just too soft for my tastes.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:08 am

shoeshine boy wrote:tempur-pedic. it's worth every penny. the only bad thing about owning a tempur-pedic is that it makes staying in hotels difficult because the beds aren't as comfortable.

Co-signed

They always offer no interest financing, too. Just finished paying mine off.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tjand72 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:04 pm

My wife and I just went looking last weekend. I think we're going to go with the Original Mattress Factory. The prices may be a bit higher than the "sale" prices of other places, but I've read some good reviews about their products and customer service.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm

We got a serta and its pretty good. One thing i found out for sure is when you talk to people about matresses there seems to be 1000 opinions on what you need and why. We kinda just both looked at one laid on it and bought it. My mom bought like 3 or 4 until she found "the right one".
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR