Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Defence21 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Jackmisfit wrote:Yeah, I thought about it a bit more and a deal like that one does seem more likely to be a miss than a hit for the Penguins.

Jeffrey has no value, as mentioned above. Dupuis and Cooke are way more valuable to the Penguins as players than they are as a trade assets. I can't think of many scenarios that would involve me wanting to move Dupuis out of town. He's just too valuable to this team.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Letes2.0, maybe Columbus could use Jeffrey on the top line.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Matt Cullen?

http://www.pensburgh.com/2013/2/19/4005 ... att-cullen

Assets: Is a very creative player that is usually aware of his surroundings. Makes smart decisions with the puck. Can play the point on power plays. Skates very well. Can also play wing, as well as center.
Flaws: Lacks consistency on offense, especially in the goal-scoring department. Can struggle against bigger, more dominant opponents. Injuries have been a concern at times throughout his career.
Career Potential: Speedy, savvy veteran forward.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:41 pm

I like Cullen, but not sure he is what they're looking for.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Could be just to bolster bottom six. Could play 3rd RW, move Kennedy down to 4th or use as trade.

Cooke Sutter Cullen
Glass Vitale Adams/Kennedy

Could play 4th C and move Vitale to 3rd RW if same scenario, to make 3rd line more difficult to play against.

Cooke Sutter Vitale
Glass Cullen Adams/Kennedy
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 pm

Pens might be forced to take some depth wingers since i can see Setoguchi costing a pretty penny. Cullen wouldn't be much of an addition, even if you wanted to promote Sutter.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Cullen would be brought here to be a voice and consistent example more than anything.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:18 pm

mikey287 wrote:It's not an unfair point. I just wonder if the organization sees that spot belonging to a big, slow, board worker at this point. Tangradi is shipped off for a song and the organization picks up a small, fairly quick skill guy. Maybe I shouldn't read much into the comings and goings of fringe NHLers, but you just kind of wonder how far detached we are from the 2008 and 2009 teams...

Malone, Guerin, Tangradi out. Sullivan, Boychuk, Bennett in.

You even start to see it in the drafting/prospects:
Before: signed scrubs Sill and Payerl, drafted Staal (big and slow), drafted Veilleux (big and slow), drafted Pierro-Zabotel (big, slow and terrible), drafted Caputi (big and slow), drafted Jeffrey (pretty big, fairly smart and pretty slow), drafted Hanowski (big and slow), drafted Petersen (big and slow)...

Now: signed Megna (skilled, small and quick), drafted Bennett (skilled, average and quick), drafted Archibald (small and skilled, and not as slow as Hanowski I don't think), drafted Wilson (uh, kind of gritty and skilled, not overly fast I guess...whatever), drafted Zlobin (small and skilled), drafted Marcantuoni (fast and somewhat skilled), drafted Blugers (small and skilled)...

I just kind of wonder if all this is adding up to something or if it's just the organization flushing out something it had too much of in exchange for something it didn't have enough of...

As for trade value, they just don't want him anymore it seems...they could use a PMD prospect (I don't think we have too many of those, let me ask the board...) or a center prospect...honestly, after the investment the Stars have made on drafting D in the past couple drafts (Oleksiak, Bystrom, Lindell, Sinitsyn is a super sleeper, etc.), they probably could use a center prospect. Though, on paper, it looks like they drafted a bunch (Gemel Smith, Mike Winther, Devin Shore, etc.) I'm not sure any of them project to be centers at the pro level. They'd all probably be better suited on the wing, except maybe one, maybe...

I'd prefer just to give them a 2nd and tell'em to keep the change if that's the route we're going. Otherwise, it's a matter of what their scouting staff likes...it wouldn't be Marcantuoni because they have him in Gemel Smith already...Blugers would work for them (but I wouldn't do it), Maatta would work for them (but I wouldn't do it), Morrow and Pouliot are overpayment in my opinion...

The organization is coo-coo for college puffs prospects (as if you had to guess by who is in charge)...if they like Nick D'Agostino as much as I do, I'd pair him up with a conditional 4th that becomes a 3rd if we win the Cup or something...otherwise, the simplest solution is to cough up our 2nd...which most people would say, "well, yeah, of course, do that!" but I'm protective of draft picks...

You really can't figure this one out bro?

Shero said he wanted BIG BODY NA like the 2006 Ducks. So in 2006 he drafted that way. When they won the cup the game was going more towards fast paced, less clutching and grabbing (even though the Red Wings were the kings of slight obstruction that never got a call)...since then the NHL Refs have reffed the last 2 playoffs like this is 1998. So our team has been less effective.

Shero and Bylsma for the past 2 years have been drafting, signing, players for a different NHL than the game is reffed. Think Goligoski's, Leopold pick up (completely terrible), Sullivans.. etc. Letting Mike Rupp, 6'5" go.

I don't have a problem with Shero drafting massive amounts of PMD because he gets returned. However, when you have the 8th pick in the draft, and you take the 7th defenseman on the board, reach for him, its just bad in my opinion. We knew about Saad the previous year, didn't pick him, got Harrington instead. Now Saad, isn't he Toews winger already? Whats Harrington, 7C on HF? Great...
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Uhh........ Saad went how many picks before Harrington? And I'd rather have Morrow than Saad if that's what you're getting at too.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:56 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Uhh........ Saad went how many picks before Harrington? And I'd rather have Morrow than Saad if that's what you're getting at too.

Please don't confuse someone who sole mission in life is to rant with facts :scared:
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Yeah, I'm not sold on Saad proving to be the better player over Harrington in the long run.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:04 pm

7C?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:05 pm

sil wrote:Yeah, I'm not sold on Saad proving to be the better player over Harrington in the long run.

Long run doesn't matter, Saad got to the NHL first therefore he is better. What the heck were you thinking Shero :face:
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Gaucho wrote:7C?

A reference to Hockeysfuture.com's ranking system for prospects. It's basically a very poor ranking system and should be ignored at all costs.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Saad's in the NHL because Chicago didn't know how to manage their cap. They can't afford someone to fill a hole in the top 6.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 pm

sil wrote:
Gaucho wrote:7C?

A reference to Hockeysfuture.com's ranking system for prospects. It's basically a very poor ranking system and should be ignored at all costs.

:thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 pm

pens_CT wrote:
sil wrote:Yeah, I'm not sold on Saad proving to be the better player over Harrington in the long run.

Long run doesn't matter, Saad got to the NHL first therefore he is better. What the heck were you thinking Shero :face:

I'm not one to use the facepalm much, but I do know this...Saad and Harrington both look like pretty solid players...the one big difference is that in the year leading up to the draft, Saad consistently went ( v ) on the draft board (wasn't he considered a top-5 pick at one point???), and Harrington consistently went ( ^).

Also, in my less-educated opinion, Harrington is pretty much the only untouchable prospect we have right now from an asset standpoint. A trade involving him better fetch quite a return.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:12 pm

If Saad turns out to be a top 6 forward, then Shero clearly missed.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm more into being realistic and making these assessments, say, 5 years or so after the draft.
Especially when there was a D involved.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If Saad turns out to be a top 6 forward, then Shero clearly missed.

What if Harrington turns out to be a top-2 defenseman (something a bit more rare)?
Last edited by sil on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:16 pm

columbia wrote:I'm more into being realistic and making these assessments, say, 5 years or so after the draft.
Especially when there was a D involved.

That's why Shero drafts 'em all...gotta hit a homer with one of 'em!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:19 pm

sil wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:If Saad turns out to be a top 6 forward, then Shero clearly missed.

What if Harrington turns out to be a top-2 defenseman?

The pens have a glut of defenseman, and more than 2 projected to be high end defensemen. They have one forward in their system that has realistic potential to be a top 6 forward, how many defensemen do they have that can be projected as top 4(or top 2) defensemen?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
sil wrote:

The pens have a glut of defenseman, and more than 2 projected to be high end defensemen. They have one forward in their system that has realistic potential to be a top 6 forward, how many defensemen do they have that can be projected as top 4(or top 2) defensemen?

So draft for need regardless of who is the best avaliable player?
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby saints11 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Is it Matt Cullen or John Cullen...in other words....pass. Why move Vitale? He has been one of the most consistent third/fourth line face-off men. If we need wings; then get wings, not centers to move to wing. For the cost of Cullen, we can find a wing. Plus, with the Wild in the hunt; if Cullen was worth it why would they move him?
If Shero missed on Saad; he probably didn't miss on Morrow or Harrington. Like many, I question the acquisition of so many young D; but this spring we may see the method to his madness if those picks secure a wing or wings we need.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:27 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
sil wrote:

So draft for need regardless of who is the best avaliable player?

Yep. That is exactly what I am saying.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins