Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby penny lane on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:05 pm

Bill Phillips ‏@WPXI_BPhillips
#Penguins will start Tomas Vokoun against Flyers tonight. Bylsma wants him to see Philly at least once during reg. season @11ontheIce @WPXI


good idea; give the fly boys a different look.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,491
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Good call.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,623
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby no name on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Tommy V! V is for Victory.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,937
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:12 pm

I guess that is a good reason.

I don't have a good feeling about the Pens winning tonight. A wnning streak followed by a two day break usually follows with a crap effort. Hopefully with the Flyers being the opponent that will stir up the team enough to come out strong. The Flyers need this game more than us too. Also Jinx BEPF is going to the game. I really want to see a win to drown the Flyers in the standings even more though.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,884
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby largegarlic on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote: I don't have a good feeling about the Pens winning tonight. A wnning streak followed by a two day break usually follows with a crap effort. Hopefully with the Flyers being the opponent that will stir up the team enough to come out strong. The Flyers need this game more than us too. Also Jinx BEPF is going to the game. I really want to see a win to drown the Flyers in the standings even more though.


That's my feeling too. Plus, you have the first game back from a road trip (even if not a long one) factor.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,685
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby tfrizz on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
#Pens Bylsma: Vokoun in net. No injuries, healthy 23-man roster. Lineup will be game-time decision

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
#Pens Bylsma: We are off (goalie starts) script. Fleury playing a lot/great, had 1 more in rotation. Tomas hasn't played,want him to see PHI
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:38 pm

A winning streak followed by a 2 day break? If it weren't a compressed schedule, that would be extremely normal. In fact, it still happens often enough. 9 2+ day breaks this season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,623
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:47 pm

I feel like the team just doesn't play well after more than one day off after a winning streak. The extra day somehow breaks up their rhythm. I'm not talking about this season only.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,884
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Froggy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Did I miss the part where people speculate that Fleury not playing tonight is an indictment on his performance, or fear that he can't handle playing Philly?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,570
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Yeah, he probably has PTSD.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,623
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby npv708 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:23 pm

GOALIE CONTROVERSY
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,667
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Tim Thomasen on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I guess that is a good reason.

I don't have a good feeling about the Pens winning tonight. A wnning streak followed by a two day break usually follows with a crap effort. Hopefully with the Flyers being the opponent that will stir up the team enough to come out strong. The Flyers need this game more than us too. Also Jinx BEPF is going to the game. I really want to see a win to drown the Flyers in the standings even more though.


I'm not worried. The Pens are playing the Flyers and I have a feeling they can win tonight. Maybe that's the eternal optimism in me talking or maybe I like that the goalie who has given the Pens the fits now plays in Ohio but I think we can beat them tonight.

But I disagree Sam that the Flyers need the points more than we do. To me both teams need every point they can get for different reasons. For the Pens it's to stay a pace with NJ for the division lead so we can get one of the top 3 spots in the conference, for the Flyers it's to stay alive to make the playoffs.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 pm

tfrizz wrote:Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
#Pens Bylsma: We are off (goalie starts) script. Fleury playing a lot/great, had 1 more in rotation. Tomas hasn't played,want him to see PHI


Pens are hitting a streak of games where they are playing practically every other night for the next 2 weeks. Vokoun needs to get back into the mix.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,478
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby columbia on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:35 pm

I actually find it more reassuring to know that Vokoun will be between the pipes.

:shrugs:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,794
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Penspal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:53 pm

columbia wrote:I actually find it more reassuring to know that Vokoun will be between the pipes.

:shrugs:


Agreed, Tommy Vokoun needs to get games in, we may need him, playing in Philly will ensure he's has recent experience there come playoff time.

Also, anytime a team wins big and easy like Philly just did 7-0, it is very easy to let some "bad habits" slip in.... Seen it countless times with many Pens teams over the years, almost dread seeing those big wins. Hopefully Philly falls victim to that tonight and the Pens capitalize.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,388
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Jasmine on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:53 pm

That's it . . . throw in the backup to show 'em we ain't scared! :lol:
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,197
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:50 pm
Location: Where I eat, drink and sleep hockey . . . like Sid

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Nizzy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:59 pm

I would have started Vokoun game 1, vs philly in philly. After Fleury was a joke there all playoffs, he didn't deserve to start the first game. Give him some extra motivation by starting Vokoun in that first game is what I would have done. But this is the correct move.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Kaizer on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Nizzy wrote:I would have started Vokoun game 1, vs philly in philly. After Fleury was a joke there all playoffs, he didn't deserve to start the first game. Give him some extra motivation by starting Vokoun in that first game is what I would have done. But this is the correct move.


well they won, so that automatically makes you wrong.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,315
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Nizzy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Kaizer wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I would have started Vokoun game 1, vs philly in philly. After Fleury was a joke there all playoffs, he didn't deserve to start the first game. Give him some extra motivation by starting Vokoun in that first game is what I would have done. But this is the correct move.


well they won, so that automatically makes you wrong.


So if Fleury still played like crap and let up 5 goals, and we scored 6 for the win still?? You consider that a win with Fleury's confidence? I simply think MAF didn't deserve to start the first game after his performance last year. The defense was crap, but he was equally as bad.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Nizzy wrote:
Kaizer wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I would have started Vokoun game 1, vs philly in philly. After Fleury was a joke there all playoffs, he didn't deserve to start the first game. Give him some extra motivation by starting Vokoun in that first game is what I would have done. But this is the correct move.


well they won, so that automatically makes you wrong.


So if Fleury still played like crap and let up 5 goals, and we scored 6 for the win still??


That's not what happened, though.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,700
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Puck Drama on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:18 pm

See - Dejan Kovacevic rules DB.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby Nizzy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:23 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Nizzy wrote:
Kaizer wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I would have started Vokoun game 1, vs philly in philly. After Fleury was a joke there all playoffs, he didn't deserve to start the first game. Give him some extra motivation by starting Vokoun in that first game is what I would have done. But this is the correct move.


well they won, so that automatically makes you wrong.


So if Fleury still played like crap and let up 5 goals, and we scored 6 for the win still??


That's not what happened, though.


Cool story. Well it's what I would've done. It's easy for you 2 to sit in that chair and say this, because if they lost then I'm right. I'm not playing that card though. I'm just saying Fleury didn't deserve the start IMO. Even though he was overused last season from carrying the team. He did had a good regular season.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:27 pm

You say Fleury didn't deserve the start. I say "results".

The end.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,700
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Nizzy wrote:I would have started Vokoun game 1, vs philly in philly. After Fleury was a joke there all playoffs, he didn't deserve to start the first game. Give him some extra motivation by starting Vokoun in that first game is what I would have done. But this is the correct move.


By this logic, practically everyone should have been benched for the first game, and Granato should have coached.

There was much failure to go around in that series...
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,478
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Tomas Vokoun starting in goal

Postby meow on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:31 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I would have started Vokoun game 1, vs philly in philly. After Fleury was a joke there all playoffs, he didn't deserve to start the first game. Give him some extra motivation by starting Vokoun in that first game is what I would have done. But this is the correct move.


By this logic, practically everyone should have been benched for the first game, and Granato should have coached.

There was much failure to go around in that series...

Have to point the finger at someone, llipgh. You know that.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,042
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Scate, ShaPe, Staggy and 5 guests

e-mail