Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrien

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby Puffymuffin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:45 am

Magistrate Desmond Nair has ruled that Pistorius's case is a schedule six offence. That makes it extremely unlikely the defendant will be granted bail unless the defence can provide exceptional circumstances.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,357
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:29 am

Puffymuffin wrote:A South African newspaper is reporting they found a cricket bat covered in blood in his house along with steroids. :pop:


Here is his side of the story, and why the cricket bat was there. It seems rather weak.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/02/19/oscar-pistorius-unintentional-death-murder-blade-runner-reeva-steenkamp-south-africa/
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,478
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby mac5155 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:09 am

Sorry, but the first thing you do whenever you are about to shoot an "intruder" is make sure you know where your spouse/family member is.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,422
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby Firebird on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Why would an intruder go straight for the bathroom?
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,764
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Firebird wrote:Why would an intruder go straight for the bathroom?


Either CNN or TMZ had a layout of the crime scene. Large window in the bathroom. Pistorius' defense team will probably argue he thought someone broke in through the window.

Weak, but what else can they say?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,478
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby Puffymuffin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:07 am

They have now also found testosterone and needles in his bedroom. I guess everyone really is using dope then :pop:
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,357
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 am

I haven't read any of the coverage, but from what I've heard on the radio this is what I've gathered is his story:

He and his smokin' hot girlfriend went out and had a romantic Valentine's Day dinner, then retired to his house. At some point, he heard a bump and commotion in the night. Crawled out of his bed sans legs but avec pistol to investigate. Heard noises in the bathroom, presumed intruder had entered through window in said bathroom. Bathroom door was locked, from the inside. Pistorious - having not ascertained the whereabouts of his girlfriend - fired through the door at the noise, and killed his girlfriend. And then somehow got blood on a cricket bat?

Yeah, I can see how his attorney would think this is a good story.

Spoiler:
:face:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,814
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:53 am

tifosi77 wrote:I haven't read any of the coverage, but from what I've heard on the radio this is what I've gathered is his story:

He and his smokin' hot girlfriend went out and had a romantic Valentine's Day dinner, then retired to his house. At some point, he heard a bump and commotion in the night. Crawled out of his bed sans legs but avec pistol to investigate. Heard noises in the bathroom, presumed intruder had entered through window in said bathroom. Bathroom door was locked, from the inside. Pistorious - having not ascertained the whereabouts of his girlfriend - fired through the door at the noise, and killed his girlfriend. And then somehow got blood on a cricket bat?

Yeah, I can see how his attorney would think this is a good story.

Spoiler:
:face:


Seems to skip over the (unconfirmed) part of the story where she got a text message from a rugby player on South Africa's national team while they were laying in bed together and proceeded to argue before she went into the bathroom.

Seems like a classic case of leg envy.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,692
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Image
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,288
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:51 pm

During his bail hearing this morning, they were presenting his defense and the judge just cut him off at the knees.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,865
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:18 pm

blackjack68 wrote:During his bail hearing this morning, they were presenting his defense and the judge just cut him off at the knees.


It was because, like most things in his life, Pistorius' defense was without foundation.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,692
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:47 pm

after he fired three shots, and heard something, why wouldnt he check before putting on his legs? also, if he heard a noise in the first place, wouldnt that be the best time to get your legs on? rather than after capping a mysterious intruder three times?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,763
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:50 pm

The bloody cricket bat is the most damning item to me so far.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,865
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Seems the chief investigator faltered on some key points under cross examination by the defense.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/20/world/africa/south-africa-pistorius-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,478
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby Shyster on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:05 pm

I’m not defending this guy, but South Africa’s crime rates are through the roof, and home-invasion robberies and “hot” burglaries (burglaries where the residents are home at the time) are unfortunately quite common. It’s not unusual for “good” communities to not only be gated, but to be patrolled 24/7 by armed guards with semi-auto rifles. The crime rates are that bad. In that light, a defense that Pistorius thought there was an intruder in the house might be more believable to South Africans than to us.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,093
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:41 am

The lead investigator is now being charged with attempted murder - for chasing a mini bus full of people, while drunk, and opening fire on the bus.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/21/world/africa/south-africa-pistorius-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,478
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby JS© on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 am

Between Shyster's comments about SA's insane crime rates and llipgh's comments about the lead investigator, I have a feeling he's gonna walk (no pun intended)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,155
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → [B] [A] [start]

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 am

JS© wrote:Between Shyster's comments about SA's insane crime rates and llipgh's comments about the lead investigator, I have a feeling he's gonna walk (no pun intended)


maybe a little intended?
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,865
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby OutofFoil on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:48 pm

JS© wrote:Between Shyster's comments about SA's insane crime rates and llipgh's comments about the lead investigator, I have a feeling he's gonna walk (no pun intended)


Unfortunately, it's not that simple in SA. Weird laws over there. There was a case last year where a guy came home to his house in a walled off community to find 2 robbers in his house, raping his wife. He shot them dead with his legally registered handgun. He was then tried and convicted of murder. Got life and the scum's family received a large amount of restitution from him. The governments argument was that deadly force wasn't needed even though they had machetes and were in the process of doing the deed... He apparently was supposed to detain them somehow and call the police instead because they weren't actually trying to kill her or him. During the trial it came out the deceased were HIV positive and the defense tried to argue that the rape was them in fact using deadly force, but the judge agreed with the prosecution that the defendant had no way of knowing that fact at the time even though it's a well known fact that the SA poor population has the highest rate of HIV in the world. Like I said, strange place...
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby Easton on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:49 am

OutofFoil wrote:
JS© wrote:Between Shyster's comments about SA's insane crime rates and llipgh's comments about the lead investigator, I have a feeling he's gonna walk (no pun intended)


Unfortunately, it's not that simple in SA. Weird laws over there. There was a case last year where a guy came home to his house in a walled off community to find 2 robbers in his house, raping his wife. He shot them dead with his legally registered handgun. He was then tried and convicted of murder. Got life and the scum's family received a large amount of restitution from him. The governments argument was that deadly force wasn't needed even though they had machetes and were in the process of doing the deed... He apparently was supposed to detain them somehow and call the police instead because they weren't actually trying to kill her or him. During the trial it came out the deceased were HIV positive and the defense tried to argue that the rape was them in fact using deadly force, but the judge agreed with the prosecution that the defendant had no way of knowing that fact at the time even though it's a well known fact that the SA poor population has the highest rate of HIV in the world. Like I said, strange place...


Before researching SA, I always thought it was a much more... civilized place.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,657
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:12 am

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby OutofFoil on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:54 am

Easton wrote:
OutofFoil wrote:
JS© wrote:Between Shyster's comments about SA's insane crime rates and llipgh's comments about the lead investigator, I have a feeling he's gonna walk (no pun intended)


Unfortunately, it's not that simple in SA. Weird laws over there. There was a case last year where a guy came home to his house in a walled off community to find 2 robbers in his house, raping his wife. He shot them dead with his legally registered handgun. He was then tried and convicted of murder. Got life and the scum's family received a large amount of restitution from him. The governments argument was that deadly force wasn't needed even though they had machetes and were in the process of doing the deed... He apparently was supposed to detain them somehow and call the police instead because they weren't actually trying to kill her or him. During the trial it came out the deceased were HIV positive and the defense tried to argue that the rape was them in fact using deadly force, but the judge agreed with the prosecution that the defendant had no way of knowing that fact at the time even though it's a well known fact that the SA poor population has the highest rate of HIV in the world. Like I said, strange place...


Before researching SA, I always thought it was a much more... civilized place.



It's not as bad as it is made out to be, but it isn't the safest place in the world. One just has to always be aware of what is going on in their surroundings, which is good advice in any area. You just know which places you shouldn't go and never stop for anything besides your destination after dark. Yes, you live behind walls/barbed wire/electric fences and it's completely normal there. But that being said, I'm getting married in 2 months, and my job wants me to relocate there for a year sometime this summer. Of course I'd rather stay in the US, but I really do not have a big issue concerning mine, or more importantly, my fiancee's safety there. Of course, the offer from the company to relocate has provided incentives that help alleviate concerns like armed guards in the compound where we'd live, free rent while I'm there in a place much nicer than we have here, flights home to visit relatives, flights for relatives to visit us, live in domestic help, and of course, a nice bump in pay. I actually love visiting SA, I've been there 9 times in the last 2 years. It's absoulutely beautiful and the "normal", non-criminal people are among the nicest I've met in my travels around the world. The problems stem from a huge divide between the haves and have nots. The poor are very poor with literally almost nothing and they do what they feel they have to do to survive. There really is no middle class. Also, there is the touchy subject of racism. If you think racism is bad here, go there. There is a large majority of both races that openly hate each other. It is steadily getting better, but they are about 50-60 years behind where we are now with respect to this issue. Although it is very disconcerting to go by a demonstration where the ANC is protesting something and chanting their ever popular, "Kill the Boer (Whitey)" song. But, where else can one hold and play with 4 - 2 month old lions, which might be one of the coolest things I've ever gotten to do?
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby yubb on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:59 am

OutofFoil wrote:
Easton wrote:
OutofFoil wrote:
JS© wrote:Between Shyster's comments about SA's insane crime rates and llipgh's comments about the lead investigator, I have a feeling he's gonna walk (no pun intended)


Unfortunately, it's not that simple in SA. Weird laws over there. There was a case last year where a guy came home to his house in a walled off community to find 2 robbers in his house, raping his wife. He shot them dead with his legally registered handgun. He was then tried and convicted of murder. Got life and the scum's family received a large amount of restitution from him. The governments argument was that deadly force wasn't needed even though they had machetes and were in the process of doing the deed... He apparently was supposed to detain them somehow and call the police instead because they weren't actually trying to kill her or him. During the trial it came out the deceased were HIV positive and the defense tried to argue that the rape was them in fact using deadly force, but the judge agreed with the prosecution that the defendant had no way of knowing that fact at the time even though it's a well known fact that the SA poor population has the highest rate of HIV in the world. Like I said, strange place...


Before researching SA, I always thought it was a much more... civilized place.



It's not as bad as it is made out to be, but it isn't the safest place in the world. One just has to always be aware of what is going on in their surroundings, which is good advice in any area. You just know which places you shouldn't go and never stop for anything besides your destination after dark. Yes, you live behind walls/barbed wire/electric fences and it's completely normal there. But that being said, I'm getting married in 2 months, and my job wants me to relocate there for a year sometime this summer. Of course I'd rather stay in the US, but I really do not have a big issue concerning mine, or more importantly, my fiancee's safety there. Of course, the offer from the company to relocate has provided incentives that help alleviate concerns like armed guards in the compound where we'd live, free rent while I'm there in a place much nicer than we have here, flights home to visit relatives, flights for relatives to visit us, live in domestic help, and of course, a nice bump in pay. I actually love visiting SA, I've been there 9 times in the last 2 years. It's absoulutely beautiful and the "normal", non-criminal people are among the nicest I've met in my travels around the world. The problems stem from a huge divide between the haves and have nots. The poor are very poor with literally almost nothing and they do what they feel they have to do to survive. There really is no middle class. Also, there is the touchy subject of racism. If you think racism is bad here, go there. There is a large majority of both races that openly hate each other. It is steadily getting better, but they are about 50-60 years behind where we are now with respect to this issue. Although it is very disconcerting to go by a demonstration where the ANC is protesting something and chanting their ever popular, "Kill the Boer (Whitey)" song. But, where else can one hold and play with 4 - 2 month old lions, which might be one of the coolest things I've ever gotten to do?


Finally, another racist word for white people besides "cracker". I've been looking for one for years!

"Then this freakin' Boer walks in and we're all like 'WHAAAAAT?'"
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby OutofFoil on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:59 am

Boer isn't a derogatory racist term.

From WIKI, Since it's always factual...:

Boer (pron.: /ˈbʊər/, /ˈboʊ.ər/, or /ˈbɔər/; Afrikaans: [ˈbuːr]) is the Dutch and Afrikaans word for farmer, which came to denote the descendants of the Dutch-speaking settlers of the eastern Cape frontier[2] in Southern Africa during the 18th century, as well as those who left the Cape Colony during the 19th century to settle in the Orange Free State, Transvaal (which are together known as the Boer Republics), and to a lesser extent Natal. Their primary motivations for leaving the Cape were to escape British rule and extract themselves from the constant border wars between the British imperial government and the native tribes on the eastern frontier.


Although, both groups have plenty of other despicable, racist terms for each other that are unique to the area. I won't share them here because we already have enough racist terms that are thrown around here and there's no need to add to the hate.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby OutofFoil on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:00 am

Granted Bail.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Re: Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius - murdered girlfrie

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 am

OutofFoil wrote:Granted Bail.


Of course.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,478
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

e-mail