Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby shmenguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
nocera wrote:What a ridiculous game. Anyone who thinks the Flyers are better, well, are just plain wrong. They are so lucky. Vokoun was a joke that game and the goals waived off (at least the first) was questionable.

I'm completely comfortable with this team.

it was a carbon copy of the playoffs. it makes me feel ill that we still don't get it. so "comfortable" isn't my first reaction

Not even close.

How was that a carbon copy? You mean the horrible calls, Malkin's 1st goal that was in but not counted......TWO LATE whistles on Vokoun.... Malkin getting cross checked 10 times before losing his mind and going after that pippy lipped ***** Courterier?

Just a stupid, stupid game. And Vokoun loses his mind at the end and allows a stupid bank shot, probably exhausted from having to sit his ass on the puck for minutes before getting a whistle.

But NBC got what they wanted. "Rivalry night". Hopefully this didn't inspire the officials.

if you're going to describe how dissimilar it was from the playoffs, malkin losing his mind and getting poor goaltending isn't the best evidence
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:29 pm

sniper wrote:Entertaining game, but that's not the way they should be playing. When you get up 2-0 early in the game, that game has to be a win every time. Instead they start playing the way the flyers want to play. Obviously that doesn't work. The good news is I really don't think the flyers make the playoffs this year so should have to see them there.

This game was exactly what the Flyers needed. Now they're back in the hunt. They'll take a spot in the top 8 by next week. Then Hartnell comes back, and they'll be game from then out.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby booboo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:
booboo wrote:Bylsma was awful tonight. I was never in the fire HCDB camp before but now I just realized he is being consistently outcoached in most of the emotional games. He can't prevent his star players from taking stupid penalties. He takes timeouts at random occasions. He cannot teach his team to keep the lead. Ray Shero please do something about this mess. I just do not want the Pens to be in this "game" anymore.

I laugh at this. How the hell can a coach stop a player from taking stupid penalties? You can preach and plead and stress all you want but a dumb player will take a dumb penalty any time. Other than benching him (you gonna bench Geno? didn't think so.), you can't totally stop it. The players have to take it upon themselves to not be dumb.

You make adjustments. You certainly can sit a player a couple shifts if they take dumb penalties.

+1
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Lol, never change LGP. Never change.

For effect.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 pm

Then you would be on here ******** about Blysma not putting Geno on the ice.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 pm

i feel worse for sutter, he made a great play to tie it up and we lose off of that

havent been this pissed all year
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:32 pm

pcm wrote:
sniper wrote:Entertaining game, but that's not the way they should be playing. When you get up 2-0 early in the game, that game has to be a win every time. Instead they start playing the way the flyers want to play. Obviously that doesn't work. The good news is I really don't think the flyers make the playoffs this year so should have to see them there.

This game was exactly what the Flyers needed. Now they're back in the hunt. They'll take a spot in the top 8 by next week. Then Hartnell comes back, and they'll be game from then out.

Fact is there are 3 Atlantic teams above them. The odds of 4 teams from one division making the playoffs when you only play within your conference isn't good. So they will have to likely beat out one of NJ, Pitt, or NYR. I don't see it happening.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 pm

since1970 wrote:...was the first goal waived because the puck was in the glove and they couldn't determine the glove was over or they couldn't see the puck???

From the overhead, it's tough to see where the puck was in his glove and if it was 100% fully across the line. It's one of those where it's probably in, but to overrule a call on the ice of "no goal" with some probably evidence isn't what generally happens at this level of play...it sucks for us, but we wouldn't want that call to go against us either...we got it right back, wasn't the reason why we lost.

Nothing wrong with the officiating tonight really...a couple of non-calls got called, a couple calls got non-called...something you'd see in every hard fought, rivalry game...you'd guess by the reaction of this board that the refs picked the puck up and threw it behind Vokoun four times tonight...

That's what most of our GDT's are, unfortunately, just whining about refs...it's a shame that the real game can't be discussed, there's much to talk about...other team's GDTs are also pretty bad, but this board's rank pretty high in terms of ref whining...which is a shame, but it's a poster's right to do so I suppose...ad nauseum or otherwise...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 pm

Oh no we are 1 and 1 against the flyers this year. We lost a game full of stupid crap and horrible goaltending. How will we ever recover?
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 pm

Nothing like a holier-than-thou attitude MRandall25
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 pm

sniper wrote:
pcm wrote:

Fact is there are 3 Atlantic teams above them. The odds of 4 teams from one division making the playoffs when you only play within your conference isn't good. So they will have to likely beat out one of NJ, Pitt, or NYR. I don't see it happening.

there will be 4 atlantic teams in the playoffs.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:34 pm

booboo wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:
booboo wrote:Bylsma was awful tonight. I was never in the fire HCDB camp before but now I just realized he is being consistently outcoached in most of the emotional games. He can't prevent his star players from taking stupid penalties. He takes timeouts at random occasions. He cannot teach his team to keep the lead. Ray Shero please do something about this mess. I just do not want the Pens to be in this "game" anymore.

I laugh at this. How the hell can a coach stop a player from taking stupid penalties? You can preach and plead and stress all you want but a dumb player will take a dumb penalty any time. Other than benching him (you gonna bench Geno? didn't think so.), you can't totally stop it. The players have to take it upon themselves to not be dumb.

You make adjustments. You certainly can sit a player a couple shifts if they take dumb penalties.

+1

Well, if you think sitting Malkin a couple of shifts for that dumb penalty he took in the 3rd period, then you're both dumber than the coach y'all are criticizing.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:34 pm

Godric wrote:
Matthew Monstar wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
nocera wrote:What a ridiculous game. Anyone who thinks the Flyers are better, well, are just plain wrong. They are so lucky. Vokoun was a joke that game and the goals waived off (at least the first) was questionable.

I'm completely comfortable with this team.

it was a carbon copy of the playoffs. it makes me feel ill that we still don't get it. so "comfortable" isn't my first reaction

Not even close.

How was that a carbon copy? You mean the horrible calls, Malkin's 1st goal that was in but not counted......TWO LATE whistles on Vokoun.... Malkin getting cross checked 10 times before losing his mind and going after that pippy lipped ***** Courterier?

Just a stupid, stupid game. And Vokoun loses his mind at the end and allows a stupid bank shot, probably exhausted from having to sit his ass on the puck for minutes before getting a whistle.

But NBC got what they wanted. "Rivalry night". Hopefully this didn't inspire the officials.

Courterier, Rinaldo, Talbot Zwhateverthehell

they all need to get hit by a meteor

Their grinders make you hate them. Mission accomplished.

Do you think any Flyer fans "hate" Craig Adams, Vitale, Kennedy, etc...? We are far too easy to play against right now.

Our forwards were getting abused by the Flyers D. On the other hand Philly forwards have no fear around our net. That was the case last year as well.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GDR on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:34 pm

Grunthy wrote:Oh no we are 1 and 1 against the flyers this year. We lost a game full of stupid crap and horrible goaltending. How will we ever recover?

Just about every game against Philly is full of stupid crap and horrible goaltending.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 pm

booboo wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:

+1

Well, if you think sitting Malkin a couple of shifts for that dumb penalty he took in the 3rd period, then you're both dumber than the coach y'all are criticizing.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 pm

booboo wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:

+1

Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Nothing like a holier-than-thou attitude MRandall25

Speak for yourself.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:36 pm

I know how to fix this team. We need to play moar road games. Just tell the NHL that we will agree to play twice as many road games as home games, or maybe just be a road team. This should work out well since everyone complains about CEC anyway.
Last edited by offsides on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby booboo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:36 pm

malksby8771 wrote:
offsides wrote:
nocera wrote:What a fun game. Sucks to be on the losing side for sure but man that was crazy. Pens are fine

At least in the regular season. Just can't play NJ or Philly in the playoffs.

It's basically impossible to avoid playing either of them so something better change or else we're doomed for another early playoff exit, in which case HCDB should be fired.

Sadly, I must agree.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:37 pm

pens#1 wrote:2 things, DB got out coached again and Geno should not be an assistant captain if he's going to take dumb penalties

I'm not going to personal attack you, but just no.

Perhaps if you were more hockey smart and watched the game and why Geno got so aggressive instead of just randomly calling out players. :slug:
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The U on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Nothing like a holier-than-thou attitude MRandall25

Aka Baghdad Bob
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:37 pm

mikey287 wrote:
since1970 wrote:...was the first goal waived because the puck was in the glove and they couldn't determine the glove was over or they couldn't see the puck???

From the overhead, it's tough to see where the puck was in his glove and if it was 100% fully across the line. It's one of those where it's probably in, but to overrule a call on the ice of "no goal" with some probably evidence isn't what generally happens at this level of play...it sucks for us, but we wouldn't want that call to go against us either...we got it right back, wasn't the reason why we lost.

Nothing wrong with the officiating tonight really...a couple of non-calls got called, a couple calls got non-called...something you'd see in every hard fought, rivalry game...you'd guess by the reaction of this board that the refs picked the puck up and threw it behind Vokoun four times tonight...

That's what most of our GDT's are, unfortunately, just whining about refs...it's a shame that the real game can't be discussed, there's much to talk about...other team's GDTs are also pretty bad, but this board's rank pretty high in terms of ref whining...which is a shame, but it's a poster's right to do so I suppose...ad nauseum or otherwise...

It was the right call. Unfortunately, the only place where 'probably' evidence is good enough is the Big Ten in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:38 pm

Sounds crazy, but I think the Pens are too much in the 'rivalry' of these games with the flyers. I think it's it time for them to ignore all the history, the cheap shots, and just beat them. Them and the fans will enjoy that much more...
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:38 pm

GDR wrote:
Grunthy wrote:Oh no we are 1 and 1 against the flyers this year. We lost a game full of stupid crap and horrible goaltending. How will we ever recover?

Just about every game against Philly is full of stupid crap and horrible goaltending.

Game 1 wasn't.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:38 pm

This game was a near carbon copy of the playoffs. The coach is the leader of the team and they came out and played with zero composure and were out of position all night.

Yes, the Flyers got very lucky tonight, but they scored a lot of weird, lucky goals in the playoffs too. For some reason Bylsma wants to run and gun and play after the whistle against Philly. It isn't working.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins