Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 pm

offsides wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:If you guys didn't see a change in the way the team played and handled themselves in the 3rd period (besides the Malkin penalty), I don't know what else to tell you.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but from my POV, we definitely outplayed these guys in terms of zone time, chances, etc.

You can say all you want that "Nothing's working", or "Bylsma sucks and can't make adjustments", but I saw what I saw.

This is a completely different team. Last year's team would've lost 10-2 and given up 4 in the 2nd period. The team I watched tonight got off their game, took a bad penalty (Malkin), played extremely well the rest of the way, fought back, drew some penalties, and tied the game. THAT is the kind of effort I like to see.

I really have no idea what else you guys want.

Two points and a win against Philly would be OK.

1) They have a win against Philly already.

2) They almost had it, too. Bad goal by Vokoun killed it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 pm

MRandall25 wrote:If you guys didn't see a change in the way the team played and handled themselves in the 3rd period (besides the Malkin penalty), I don't know what else to tell you.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but from my POV, we definitely outplayed these guys in terms of zone time, chances, etc.

You can say all you want that "Nothing's working", or "Bylsma sucks and can't make adjustments", but I saw what I saw.

This is a completely different team. Last year's team would've lost 10-2 and given up 4 in the 2nd period. The team I watched tonight got off their game, took a bad penalty (Malkin), played extremely well the rest of the way, fought back, drew some penalties, and tied the game. THAT is the kind of effort I like to see.

Well said, Pens have some weaknesses and adjustments to make but all teams do. Can't expect them to go 48-0.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cagsjr724 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 pm

Beveridge wrote:
Kharlamov wrote:Sounds crazy, but I think the Pens are too much in the 'rivalry' of these games with the flyers. I think it's it time for them to ignore all the history, the cheap shots, and just beat them. Them and the fans will enjoy that much more...

This is where a Billy G type player is much needed.

Anyone who doesn't think he was a big reason they won the cup when they won it is off his/her rocker.

:thumb: Agree with this.
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 pm

Not the end of the world at all. The PP has been outstanding all year and was tonight. They played more composed in the third I'll give you that.

BUT, they played exactly the same way as the did last year against them. Way too agressive on defense, getting way too involved after the play, letting Philly get under their skin, and blowing leads at home.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:49 pm

They also ALMOST came nowhere close. Luckily Philly took a bunch of fluky penalties in a row and let us back in it
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:49 pm

How about some coaching instead? Preemptive coaching maybe? Say a superstar takes a stupid penalty way back in a meaningless game and you sit him. And when it happens again, you do so again. 71 or 87, does not matter. Gosh, wouldn't you like some accountability out there? So that the players would police themselves when it counts... This is really simple. But just one way of coaching. There are probably 20 thousand other little things an analytically-minded coach could come up to change the stupid way this team looses to likely playoff opponents.

You could have written this same post in April. Actually, many people did. The Pens keep taking stupid, undisciplined penalties because Bylsma doesn't hold them accountable. Then they play the Flyers and they completely lose their heads because they have no practice in keeping themselves disciplined. It's a broken record from last season.

Again, the Pens only hope of going anywhere is to hope and pray that Philly misses the playoffs. My guess, they come up just short (again) for the division and face them (again) in the 4/5 match-up. And if tonight is any indication, they will again be humiliated because they are Philly's *****.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:49 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
GDR wrote:Bylsma: "We got too involved in the emotion of the game."

The Pens are becoming aware that other teams are aware that they can get rattled. That's a good thing.

And I think we saw them (the Pens) come back to Earth in the 3rd. Bylsma must've said something, because aside from the Geno penalty, they played pretty disciplined.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:49 pm

Henry Hank wrote:The Pens need to do some praying that somehow the Flyers miss the playoffs because if they meet again, we're going to see a repeat of last spring. I actually thought that overall, the Pens have been fairly impressive this season but tonight just proves that they haven't made any progress since last spring. They still have no answer for the Flyers. No, coach, it wasn't just a couple bad weeks, and no you can't pin it all on Fleury. Until they figure out how to control themselves against the Flyers, and until they learn in general how to play with a lead, they are on their way to another early upset.

Dead on.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:50 pm

So tonight was a confirmation of last years playoffs, but game 1 against the Flyers was an aberration?

That's what I'm reading from this thread.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby booboo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 pm

Since you've asked, please tell me why they changed the way they played and handled themselves when they were 2 goals up in the first period?
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 pm

columbia wrote:So tonight was a confirmation of last years playoffs, but game 1 against the Flyers was an aberration?

The Pens eeked out a 2-1 win or whatever it was. 1st game of the season from a lockout. You couldn't say much for either side.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
How about some coaching instead? Preemptive coaching maybe? Say a superstar takes a stupid penalty way back in a meaningless game and you sit him. And when it happens again, you do so again. 71 or 87, does not matter. Gosh, wouldn't you like some accountability out there? So that the players would police themselves when it counts... This is really simple. But just one way of coaching. There are probably 20 thousand other little things an analytically-minded coach could come up to change the stupid way this team looses to likely playoff opponents.

You could have written this same post in April. Actually, many people did. The Pens keep taking stupid, undisciplined penalties because Bylsma doesn't hold them accountable. Then they play the Flyers and they completely lose their heads because they have no practice in keeping themselves disciplined. It's a broken record from last season.

Again, the Pens only hope of going anywhere is to hope and pray that Philly misses the playoffs. My guess, they come up just short (again) for the division and face them (again) in the 4/5 match-up. And if tonight is any indication, they will again be humiliated because they are Philly's *****.

I agree with everything you said only I don't think Philly gets the 5th seed. I see them barely making the playoffs. They aren't a great team at all. They just bring out the worst in the Pens at the moment.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:52 pm

Wayne Simmonds is sweet by the way
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby booboo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:52 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:The Pens need to do some praying that somehow the Flyers miss the playoffs because if they meet again, we're going to see a repeat of last spring. I actually thought that overall, the Pens have been fairly impressive this season but tonight just proves that they haven't made any progress since last spring. They still have no answer for the Flyers. No, coach, it wasn't just a couple bad weeks, and no you can't pin it all on Fleury. Until they figure out how to control themselves against the Flyers, and until they learn in general how to play with a lead, they are on their way to another early upset.

Dead on.

Mmmm-hmm!
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 pm

columbia wrote:So tonight was a confirmation of last years playoffs, but game 1 against the Flyers was an aberration?

I thought game one of the season could have gone either way. Pens got up early and pretty much clinged to dear life. Glad they won, but it didn't erase any demons. Even if it did, any good that came from that one was erased tonight.

The only silver lining is that tonight was regular season. As if it shouldn't have already been obvious to them after last spring, they were once again served an example of what they can't do against Philly. Will they finally get it into their heads? Hope so
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 pm

booboo wrote:

Since you've asked, please tell me why they changed the way they played and handled themselves when they were 2 goals up in the first period?

I didn't ask, but I'll bite.

They didn't change the way they played. They let the Flyers get to them. We pretty much controlled the play for at least 65-75 percent of the game. The only difference was, they started playing down to the Flyers.

BUT.

Something was said in the locker room in between the 2nd and 3rd periods, because the team in the 3rd was completely different mentally than the team in the 1st. Aside from the Malkin penalty, they were much, much more composed, and look at the result. Came back from a 2 goal deficit.

I'd say that's encouraging, but I'm also not a pessimist.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 pm

the flyers baiting the pens into the nuthouse is a major component to the whole thing. let me know if they did that in game 1.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 pm

my heart cant take these games
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:58 pm

shmenguin wrote:

the flyers baiting the pens into the nuthouse is a major component to the whole thing. let me know if they did that in game 1.

Are you not encouraged that the Pens found a way out of the nuthouse in the 3rd, though?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GDR on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:00 am

MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Are you not encouraged that the Pens found a way out of the nuthouse in the 3rd, though?

Glass also took a 4 minute penalty aside from Malkin's penalty. While it wasn't exactly "undisciplined" a 4 minute penalty is a 4 minute penalty.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 am

1. I dont really get the whole "we let them get under our skin" thing. Other than the Malkin penalty when the game was starting to tilt it wasnt really us losing our composure.

2. We got back into the game because of penalites which is fine, we have skill and teams should pay for that. But (and please correct if I am wrong, I dont have the stats and could be wrong) but does James Neal actually play even strength?

3. We blame the officials for the goals (I think goal 1 was fine, I think goal 4 wasnt) and we can say Matty Ice tipped the puck in and thats luck. But all 3 goals happened because the Flyers attack and swarm. Goal 3, if a Flyer wasnt charging towards the net we dont have the need to HAVE to tip it, if he isnt there its an easy goal. Look at our ES or regular PP goals: D shot from the point, D shot from the point off the boards, D shot from the point long rebound to TK, Sutter behind the net when a Flyer takes the wrong the side.

We simply dont get dirty, ever. If it wasnt for random high sticks and a moronic play by Talbot the game gets way out of hand.

4. HCDB. This is more than a trend now. The Pens switch up styles to start games and it throws the Flyers off. Once they adjust we lose our game. I am not a coach, but it seems to me that slight adjustments to style and breakouts are better served than altering your style. The Flyers figure it out after 10 minutes, even tonight with their behind the net game plan. I busted out laughing when he was interviewed in I think the 2nd period and was asked about it, he stammered, the announcers laughed and were saying he almost gave away his secret.

I was laughing because the entire world figured that out about 5 minutes into the game. Did HCDB think he was giving something away?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 am

There was no lack of composure in period 2, at least none that wasn't present in period 3.

We gave them free reign of the neutral zone. They continuously got scoring chances and zone time as a result of entering the zone with speed. We never made any adjustments to stop that from happening.

Early on we entered their zone with speed. They adjusted and took away the blue line. Did we dump it? No. We still skated it in like we always do, and the guy entered the zone by himself with no puck support and got forced wide. 2 options at that point: A. fire a low-percentage shot at the net, B. make a low-percentage pass to the middle
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:02 am

Will every pens vs flyers thread have this many pages?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:03 am

GDR wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Glass also took a 4 minute penalty aside from Malkin's penalty. While it wasn't exactly "undisciplined" a 4 minute penalty is a 4 minute penalty.

That was an odd penalty, to say the least.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:03 am

Sky is falling time again
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins