Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 am

Pitts wrote:
columbia wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I don't know what this game says, but it proves that they lack veteran leadership. All game they were goaded into bad penalties. 87 and 71 weren't totally, but they need to get their heads on straight sooner or later

Well,sure.
It's not clear why more don't see that.
I guess it's easier to blame the coach?

I posted the same thing during the game. 71 and 87 may be considered "vets", but they are still too young to be able to brush off the Flyer's gameplan and get the win. They miss Roberts/Guerin type to settle them when things are getting out of hand. I think it's crystal clear this hasn't been the same team since Guerin left.

I think it would be beneficial if they could get Guerin down on the bench in some capacity, but I have no idea how they'd accomplish that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:42 am

One thing is clear.

They flyers depth players are bigger, faster, younger, and more tenacious
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Godric on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 am

shmenguin wrote:
Godric wrote:
shmenguin wrote:yeah, sure. no use panic firing anyone now or trading the bad seeds (since the main one won kinda won league mvp last year) .

WHAT NOW?? LOLOLOLOL Oh yeah guys, its Malkin's fault the pens lost not the player who is getting raped by Giroux everytime we play the Flyers.

I honestly want to see the stats what how many points Crosby has against the flyers even strength against the Giroux line. I'm sure its loltastic

I don't mean to make this a Crosby is underpreforming thing or a Crosby vs Malkin thing but jesus

I don't think you understand the specifics of what's being discussed

Probably not. Still full of rage and pain pills (just had surgery)
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:44 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Ok, my last post on this. I have seen tweets from over 5 media types with their thoughts, 3 players quotes, a HCDB quote, the Pens Inside Scoop and now the actual Penguins. All keep talking about the retaliating penalties and how the Flyers get them involved.

Is it me or did I see I game that lots of teams in the NHL play and the type of game I see 90% of the time in the NHL?. In your face, hitting, swarming the net. I dont remember much after the whistle stuff at all. Letang cross checked some turd 3 times, he slashed him back - 2 penalties. Big deal, happens twice in EVERY NHL game. A fight after a questionable hit, a guy cross checks Malkin and he retaliates.

This isnt limited to the Flyers people, this has been going for eons in the league.

This game was nothing like that at all anyways. Its like nobody can admit what actually happened on the ice. Starting to think our media and team itself are the same and its why we got bounced in the playoffs easily.

totally agree
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ad@m on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 am

The U wrote:
BleuLineLady wrote:The thing I notice the most is the way that Philly puts pressure on the Penguins players constantly. The forecheck and backcheck are relentless. That is definitely more of recent change over the past couple seasons since laviolette has been the coach. The Flyers make it uncomfortable and hard to play against and for a team like the Pens who are used to just using their offensive talent to glide through games sometimes, it can frustrate players like Malkin. I dont know if the Flyers play this intense every game, I doubt it, theyre 8-9-1, theres reason why. But when it comes to playing the Penguins, they know the formula to beat them. Just frustrate them and they get thrown off. I wish the Pens played more like that and maybe Shero needs to trade for a couple guys who play more of that style of a game. They need more guys who are like Kunitz, Dupuis, Sutter...players who have some scoring touch but are tough to play against and are defensively responsible. We have too many guys on the team who are thinking offense, instead of playing both sides of the ice.

Agreed. Pens were getting hit and harassed all over the ice in every zone. We played that way in 2009.

Philly doesn't play like this all the time, only against us.

Unfortunately for us they have our number right now. How many games they win or lose vs Florida, Caps, Toronto, etc...are meaningless. They play well vs the Penguins. Throw out seeds and records. We need to find a way to beat them and NJ.

Shero has 13 million to spend and we are coming off three incredibly disappointing playoff runs. Pressure is on.

Physical defensive dman, tough bottom 6 forward or two, and a top 6 scoring winger are all needed. Between now and April I wouldn't be surprised if 4 new guys are added and 3 or 4 current Pens are demoted or traded.

Its know its highly unlikely, but i would love to see Douglas "Crankshaft" Murray wearing a Pens jersey.
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 am

At the game crowd was really into the game tonight.

Bennett is just a little off speed wise, as in the game is just a bit too fast for him. He's gotta put on some weight as well. Def has talent.
D needs to stop trying to step up in the neutral zone and blow people up, it's too easy for guys to just skate right by them
D-zone coverage is awful, if anyone on the Pens seems to get anywhere near control of the puck the 3 forwards move up the ice as fast as possible and offer no support for a breakout. That's more the system though.
Flyers, the team that cried and tried to make a mockery out of Tampa playing a 1-3-1 used it quite a few times this evening.
Refs were awful in all directions. Realized they had been calling the game terribly then called it just as bad near the end in favor of the Pens. Awful.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joopen on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:48 am

Another problem I see for HCDB. Malkin obviously gets frustrated playing against Coturier. HCDB refuses to avoid the matchup. I don't get it?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Matthew Monstar on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 am

Godric wrote:One thing is clear.

Which depth players scared you???? Only players that ever seem to screw us is Simmonds, Vorecek sometimes Giroux, sometimes Briere.

Jesus Christ.

Everytime Voracek plays us, he has the game of his career.

Was Giroux a factor today? Did Danielle Briere even play today? A lot of players did nothing today.

Flyers won off some flukey goals on non whistles, Malkin's goal in the glove across the line.

Poor officiating, Vokoun piss poor goaltending at the end of the game and Brooks Orpik was pretty bad tonight.

Don't lose sleep over this total piss Flyers team that shouldn't worry anyone. Fact is, we still scored 5 goals on them and we've already beat them early in the season.

Goodnight
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:51 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Ok, my last post on this. I have seen tweets from over 5 media types with their thoughts, 3 players quotes, a HCDB quote, the Pens Inside Scoop and now the actual Penguins. All keep talking about the retaliating penalties and how the Flyers get them involved.

Is it me or did I see I game that lots of teams in the NHL play and the type of game I see 90% of the time in the NHL?. In your face, hitting, swarming the net. I dont remember much after the whistle stuff at all. Letang cross checked some turd 3 times, he slashed him back - 2 penalties. Big deal, happens twice in EVERY NHL game. A fight after a questionable hit, a guy cross checks Malkin and he retaliates.

This isnt limited to the Flyers people, this has been going for eons in the league.

This game was nothing like that at all anyways. Its like nobody can admit what actually happened on the ice. Starting to think our media and team itself are the same and its why we got bounced in the playoffs easily.

I think it was a big issue tonight. The Pens were up 2-0 and in control. Philly started getting nasty and the game started getting stupid. By the end of the period, it was a tie game and the Flyers were completely energized. Happened how many times last year too. I'd assume that's what they're talking about. The Pens need to learn to stay calm in those situations and not feed into what drives the Flyers. I can't believe they still haven't figured that out.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:51 am

joopen wrote:Another problem I see for HCDB. Malkin obviously gets frustrated playing against Coturier. HCDB refuses to avoid the matchup. I don't get it?

DB is on my **** but this is something that Malkin has to sack up and deal with. Malkin is 6'4 210 pounds and the League MVP Cout-a-douche is 6'4 180 or 190 pounds and like 19/20 years old. Get mean Malkin.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:51 am

Was at the game this evening and it was the first time i left with a bad experience. Sat in front of a STH who reminded me that, "I have been a season ticket holder for 4 years!" Was pretty bad because i was threatened by him for being too loud and swearing at the game. My buddy said on a slashing penalty that if the Flyer in question keeps shaking his stick he's just playing with himself.

There were no kids in our section and everyone else was just flabbergasted. The guys literally yells at us for being as loud as we could be.

Not sitting in section 104 again if i can't be as loud as i possibly can be at a damn Flyers game.

Also, this dude only even cheered or made noise during the final two goals the Pens scored. Made our experience suck after the second period.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:52 am

joopen wrote:Another problem I see for HCDB. Malkin obviously gets frustrated playing against Coturier. HCDB refuses to avoid the matchup. I don't get it?

Not sure why HCDB doesn't try putting Kunitz or Glass out there with 71 once in awhile and tell them to level Coturier at every opportunity. The dude needs to be clocked a few dozen ties IMO.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Matthew Monstar on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:53 am

If I cross check you 20 times in the ribs, you gonna be cool with it or will you get pissed off when there is NO penalty being called on illegal play?

I mean, re-watch the game. If you play Hockey, getting cross checked when you're not in the play isn't very good feeling.

Malkin was all over, set up Neal's goal, scored a goal himself and had another that ...*ahem*...couldnt be proven but was totally in.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 am

:( that sucks
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 am

Godric wrote:

DB is on my **** but this is something that Malkin has to sack up and deal with. Malkin is 6'4 210 pounds and the League MVP Cout-a-douche is 6'4 180 or 190 pounds and like 19/20 years old. Get mean Malkin.

Malkin does get mean...and takes a penalty. Geno doesn't know how to crush someone with a legal, back-breaking check into the boards.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Matthew Monstar on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 am

Godric wrote:

You guys like to just talk crap just to talk crap.

Malkin took how many cross checks when he **** shouldn't have to. Cross checks are illegal and should be called. If the officials are going to call slashes and high sticks and every other infraction, CALL the game how you see it. Malkin can handle Couts.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BleuLineLady on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 am

One thing that should be done also is Malkin should be sat out for a game. It wont ever happen. I'm sorry but his play has been too sloppy, undisciplined. Way too many costly penalties and no look passes going to the other team. He would be fine if he just cleaned it and woke up a bit. Bylsma should sit him a game to send him a message.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joopen on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 am

Godric wrote:

He gets mean and takes dumb penalties. If you have the last change why do you not take advantage of it?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:57 am

Matthew Monstar wrote:
Godric wrote:One thing is clear.

Which depth players scared you???? Only players that ever seem to screw us is Simmonds, Vorecek sometimes Giroux, sometimes Briere.

Jesus Christ.

Everytime Voracek plays us, he has the game of his career.

Was Giroux a factor today? Did Danielle Briere even play today? A lot of players did nothing today.

Flyers won off some flukey goals on non whistles, Malkin's goal in the glove across the line.

Poor officiating, Vokoun piss poor goaltending at the end of the game and Brooks Orpik was pretty bad tonight.

Don't lose sleep over this total piss Flyers team that shouldn't worry anyone. Fact is, we still scored 5 goals on them and we've already beat them early in the season.

Goodnight

Couts and Simmonds
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:57 am

joopen wrote:
Godric wrote:

He gets mean and takes dumb penalties. If you have the last change why do you not take advantage of it?

What's it going to matter if we have to face them in the playoffs again (god willing), and they get the last change on their ice and do the same thing?

Sooner or later, Malkin is going to have to rise up and fight through the crap.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:58 am

Henry Hank wrote:

I think it was a big issue tonight. The Pens were up 2-0 and in control. Philly started getting nasty and the game started getting stupid. By the end of the period, it was a tie game and the Flyers were completely energized. Happened how many times last year too. I'd assume that's what they're talking about. The Pens need to learn to stay calm in those situations and not feed into what drives the Flyers. I can't believe they still haven't figured that out.

What then? What exactly? They had a boarding penalty we scored on? What other things got us so off our game we had to give up 4 goals? What nasty and stupid things did these big bad meanie Flyers do from minute 14 of the first to minute 1? I guess they didnt do all this dirty after the whistle stuff in the 2nd? What got us off our game to start the 3rd?

Was it all this mysterious and vague dirty stuff after the whistle? That got us off our game? Or was it a team that adjusted, attacked, swarmed and when got zone time it didnt pass it around like a basketball team it drove to the net?

I am not trying to be a d!ck, but I just didnt see it. I saw a team that ONE HUNDRED PERCENT adjusted to our style and game plan that started the game, that played hard, that tried to cycle and that swarmed the net. The other stuff is just a myth so we can excuse the loss.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joopen on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:58 am

Matthew Monstar wrote:
Godric wrote:

You guys like to just talk crap just to talk crap.

Malkin took how many cross checks when he **** shouldn't have to. Cross checks are illegal and should be called. If the officials are going to call slashes and high sticks and every other infraction, CALL the game how you see it. Malkin can handle Couts.

Coturier is in Malkins head. Get him away from the matchup to get him comfortable. You have the last change... Use it
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:59 am

MRandall25 wrote:
joopen wrote:
Godric wrote:

What's it going to matter if we have to face them in the playoffs again (god willing), and they get the last change on their ice and do the same thing?

Sooner or later, Malkin is going to have to rise up and fight through the crap.

Agreed. At home you have the last change. Right now it is a bad matchup for Malkin. Why play into it?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 am

Matthew Monstar wrote:

If I cross check you 20 times in the ribs, you gonna be cool with it or will you get pissed off when there is NO penalty being called on illegal play?

I mean, re-watch the game. If you play Hockey, getting cross checked when you're not in the play isn't very good feeling.

Malkin was all over, set up Neal's goal, scored a goal himself and had another that ...*ahem*...couldnt be proven but was totally in.

Oh, are we talking about Letang in the first period? When he got away with 3 and then was slashed. Oh wait, it was Rinaldo and he is a scum bag so it doesnt count. Give me a break, its always something. We lost because we dont play a hard, fast, swarming style when its needed period.

The other stuff is just crap to help fans sleep better at night.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 am

I won't get too involved in this...

But Malkin did get mean, that netted him vacation time...so that doesn't work...

Additionally, you can use your stick to push an opponent and even jab an opponent in the back with both hands on your stick...that's not an auto-call, if it was, we would have been in the box quite a bit tonight ourselves...it's not like high sticking, where it's an auto-call...cross-checking is tough call...you wouldn't like it if there was a call every. single. time. a stick was put on the back of an opponent...

Frankly, we were a little bit fortunate to get one with Couturier on Neal...if Neal is a little closer to the boards, that's probably not a call...even there, it was a low-end call, not horrible, not great...understandable, probably a good idea at that point in the game all things considered...but even that wasn't a "YOU HAVE TO CALL THAT!" penalty...

We got a way with quite a bit tonight ourselves, even while we were on the power play...which is when you're under a tighter watch...

EDIT: Not saying cross-checking isn't a penalty that should be called, not saying that the Flyers didn't get away with a couple of close calls...but it was nothing to really write home about...we got good power play chances at the end, we gave up a horrible goal and loss...can't blame the refs for this one...shouldn't really resort to that regardless, but that's another story...
Last edited by mikey287 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins