Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 am

Just wondering.....

Will all the panic and bridge jumping happen after every loss or just after flyers loss?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,379
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Chino Moreno Likes Toast!

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby Matthew Monstar on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:01 am

What the hell is it with everyone jumping on the "Hate Malkin" bandwagon.

Am I missing something? He had "two" goals, set up James Neal, was a beast in the third.

He took the penalty againsts Couterier but that was pretty much an even wash.


So let's sit one of our "Best players in the world". Sit him and let Sutter or Vitale fill in... That'll help the team!!!!
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,071
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 pm
Location: oHIo

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:02 am

joopen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
joopen wrote:
Godric wrote:
joopen wrote:Another problem I see for HCDB. Malkin obviously gets frustrated playing against Coturier. HCDB refuses to avoid the matchup. I don't get it?


DB is on my **** but this is something that Malkin has to sack up and deal with. Malkin is 6'4 210 pounds and the League MVP Cout-a-douche is 6'4 180 or 190 pounds and like 19/20 years old. Get mean Malkin.

He gets mean and takes dumb penalties. If you have the last change why do you not take advantage of it?


What's it going to matter if we have to face them in the playoffs again (god willing), and they get the last change on their ice and do the same thing?

Sooner or later, Malkin is going to have to rise up and fight through the crap.

Agreed. At home you have the last change. Right now it is a bad matchup for Malkin. Why play into it?


Because if you hide him from it, how is he going to face it when the Flyers have the last change and get the matchup out? You're just ignoring the problem until it pops up in another game.

If Malkin is ever going to get over it, he has to go out there and face it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,374
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:04 am

I guess you guys missed Malkin leveling that Flyer in the first with a clean shoulder check in open ice. He can hit better than Sid. I have no problem with him sticking up for himself after being cross-checked 10 times in the back and ribs because I know how it feels.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,312
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby Matthew Monstar on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:04 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:Just wondering.....

Will all the panic and bridge jumping happen after every loss or just after flyers loss?



Half of the less then knowledgeable hockey smart posters go absolutely mental after a loss.

Bench Malkin? Are you kidding me? Fire Dan Bylsma?

It is one game. A total piss game, but just one.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,071
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 pm
Location: oHIo

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby joopen on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 am

MRandall25 wrote:Because if you hide him from it, how is he going to face it when the Flyers have the last change and get the matchup out? You're just ignoring the problem until it pops up in another game.

If Malkin is ever going to get over it, he has to go out there and face it.

Get him away from it and hopefully he scores a few times and creates some confidence against a team he has been frustrated against. It just seems to make sense to avoid bad match ups if you can
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,806
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby joopen on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:07 am

Matthew Monstar wrote:What the hell is it with everyone jumping on the "Hate Malkin" bandwagon.

Am I missing something? He had "two" goals, set up James Neal, was a beast in the third.

He took the penalty againsts Couterier but that was pretty much an even wash.


So let's sit one of our "Best players in the world". Sit him and let Sutter or Vitale fill in... That'll help the team!!!!

I'm not hating Geno. I'm just wondering why a bad matchup isn't being avoided on home ice when possible.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,806
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:09 am

joopen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Because if you hide him from it, how is he going to face it when the Flyers have the last change and get the matchup out? You're just ignoring the problem until it pops up in another game.

If Malkin is ever going to get over it, he has to go out there and face it.

Get him away from it and hopefully he scores a few times and creates some confidence against a team he has been frustrated against. It just seems to make sense to avoid bad match ups if you can


But Malkin will never get better in the "bad" matchup unless he plays against it, and he'll be forced to when they play in Philly.

Agree to disagree, I guess, because I think we're going in circles.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,374
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby joopen on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:13 am

MRandall25 wrote:
joopen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Because if you hide him from it, how is he going to face it when the Flyers have the last change and get the matchup out? You're just ignoring the problem until it pops up in another game.

If Malkin is ever going to get over it, he has to go out there and face it.

Get him away from it and hopefully he scores a few times and creates some confidence against a team he has been frustrated against. It just seems to make sense to avoid bad match ups if you can


But Malkin will never get better in the "bad" matchup unless he plays against it, and he'll be forced to when they play in Philly.

Agree to disagree, I guess, because I think we're going in circles.


:fist:
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,806
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby GDR on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:16 am

Matthew Monstar wrote:It is one game. A total piss game, but just one.


The Flyers success against Pittsburgh has been going on since they moved into the CEC. I don't know what Philly's record in the building is, but it's pretty flipping good, so I would disagree it was just one game...it's been going on for a few years.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,899
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby Metalmike on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:22 am

Flyers are now 6-1 regular season at CEC.


Metal Mike, Canada's #1 Penguins Fan.
Metalmike
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:50 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby wondermoose on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 am

It's been a few hours and I still want to yell at things. People freak out over these games because, at this point, all we want is to beat the Flyers. I just don't understand how they have let things flip so quickly from 2009.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,968
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby Godric on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:17 am

wondermoose wrote:It's been a few hours and I still want to yell at things. People freak out over these games because, at this point, all we want is to beat the Flyers. I just don't understand how they have let things flip so quickly from 2009.


Quickly? It's been Damn near 5 years
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby ziggo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:24 am

The Flyers won the first game ever played at the CEC, and seem to have been in the Pen's heads ever since then. Having watched or listened to most of the Spectrum games during THAT streak, I keep getting reminders of that, during the last couple of years.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:13 am
Location: Medicine Hat

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby tfrizz on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 am

You guys remember what was said during the Buffalo game on Sunday, right? HCDB wanted the team to learn how to protect a lead so they don't repeat what happened in the playoffs. Not feeling so optimistic with all the blown leads we've seen this year.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,279
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 am

Personally I think last night was the same old same old with the Pens. They stomped the Flyers early and then lost their composure for whatever reason.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,189
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:17 am

My problem with the game was the officiating. Officiating has been a sore spot with me for the past two seasons. I saw the dump-in interference play several times last night, and a lot of whacking and hacking going on that was not called. Basically, it seemed like the officials adopted the "let them play" mentality because it's a big rivalry, but in reality they are giving Philly an advantage. That is the Flyers style, so if they are allowed to whack, hack, etc, where in a "normal game" it is a penalty, they have an unfair advantage. The refs let it go for too long, the Pens are forced to retaliate, and then the refs decide they want to only call retaliation penalties. It's dumb and happens too often. Call the rules like you are supposed to.

Same thing goes for 4 officials missing numerous high sticks to the face. I believe Letang had one that was missed, the Sutter one, while there was a never good replay, I believe was actually the puck and not a stick, and there was one other I don't recall who it was but was not called. NHL officiating is just awful anymore. Not saying that is why the Pens lost the game, but it is hard to play Pens style hockey when the refs are tilting the calls towards the Flyers style of play, which is most often borderline, and often crosses the line.

And, while the Pens can't play the Flyers game, the 3rd line occasionally and 4th line always should be going out there and using the body constantly in attempt to wear the other team down. Didn't see enough of that last night. There was some general hitting in response to the overall tone of the game, but my view is the Glass-Adams-Vitale line should be trying to keep the opposition in their own zone, and laying the body every chance they get.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,134
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Davie, Florida @RandomHockeyGuy

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:41 am

Hindsight is 20/20, but the best play was taking the penalty shot by Letang in the ten-car pile up. Although, the referee can issue a goal for that play if he determines one was inevitable.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,103
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:44 am

TheHammer24 wrote:Hindsight is 20/20, but the best play was taking the penalty shot by Letang in the ten-car pile up. Although, the referee can issue a goal for that play if he determines one was inevitable.


i think our goalie making an effort to head, you know, back towards the goal would have been the best play.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,751
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jcgopens, Steve Dave and 17 guests


e-mail