Brooks Orpik

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Brooks Orpik

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:53 am

I wouldn't move Brooks unless they brought in a more physical guy. The only thing that leaves me wondering is what kind of pictures Engo has of Byslma that he can't get scratched....

The case could be made that last night's game was perfect for his style, and you had Matt Cooke and Tanner Glass doing all the dirty work.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 am

He had a bad night. The fact of the matter is the Penguins get scored on astronomically less this year when Orpik/Martin are on the ice. Whether you like it or not, Orpik/Martin's super stats are among the lead shutdown pairs in the NHL, and above many of them. I'm sure last night puts a dent in that, but they've been very good all year.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 am

This thread's kinda crazy. He had a bad night, didn't think his partner had the best night either.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:45 am

Utter rubbish.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:45 am

...has been having a great season, period.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby owtahear on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:35 pm

He was bad last night.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bringitonhome on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Bump. Lol. He sucks!!! Accept it people.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:55 pm

He is horrendous tonight. I mean absolute crap.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iceolater on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Please trade his lazy**s! He is horrible. Letang isnt much better. Both need to go!
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:31 pm

iceolater wrote:Please trade his lazy**s! He is horrible. Letang isnt much better. Both need to go!

Ha!
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Orpik, the MVP of post-game media sessions. I wish Bylsma was ballsy enough to give him the fourth line winger treatment like Therrien did. Therrien had him playing the best hockey of his career not long after that.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Orpik, the MVP of post-game media sessions. I wish Bylsma was ballsy enough to give him the fourth line winger treatment like Therrien did. Therrien had him playing the best hockey of his career not long after that.

Bylsma would never, and I mean never bench or do what Therrien did to Orpik.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:16 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Orpik, the MVP of post-game media sessions. I wish Bylsma was ballsy enough to give him the fourth line winger treatment like Therrien did. Therrien had him playing the best hockey of his career not long after that.

I don't think it would work for Bylsma. Completely different coaching style.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:16 pm

farnham16 wrote:

Of course he wouldn't. Give him a pat on the butt and tell him it was just the goalie's fault anyway
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Of course he wouldn't. Give him a pat on the butt and tell him it was just the goalie's fault anyway

I'm with you though. Orpik should be benched next game for this play. This team needs to be sent a message if they refuse to make any other changes.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:25 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

I'm with you though. Orpik should be benched next game for this play. This team needs to be sent a message if they refuse to make any other changes.

It would be appropriate that DB takes a page out of Therrien's book and sits Orpik for a game. If it was an out-of-the-ordinary event, sure, no problem, keep playing him and make up for it. But Orpik is on a streak that is mindbogglingly bad.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jcgopens on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm just waiting for Orpik to get on the post game interview and call out his team for bad play
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 pm

Players' coaches have a difficult time holding veterans accountable because they might lose the favor of the locker room if it's done incorrectly. Thus, all the problems with the team are taken out on the youth (Despres scratched, Bennett benched tonight). While veteran players, those that would have more pull, are able to get away with a few bad games (or more) and not lose their jersey...Orpik will probably start the next game, Engelland hasn't been scratched yet has he? Kunitz early in the year to a lesser extent, Adams to a lesser extent...some players seem to be immune to the rotation, audition is merely a formality for them...

Personally, I don't believe Bylsma has the wherewithal to sit a player of Orpik's caliber...

Now, I'll say the flip side as someone that has a fair amount of coaching experience (relative to an average person, not an NHL coach). It's a lot easier to talk about benching/scratching a player than it is to actually do it...the consequences can be dire, you can lose the player, you can lose the room, you can affect morale negatively...coaching takes a delicate balance...some players don't like to be pushed and prodded, some players need you to light their ass on fire every night to get a pulse from them...you have to really understand your team at a macro and micro level in order to push the right buttons...

Personally, I think the team can make adjustments with the current core and be ok...I don't think we need to do anything rash, but I'm a "let's not do anything rash" type of guy...will those adjustments get made? Will they be successful? Useful questions.
Last edited by mikey287 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:35 pm

jcgopens wrote:I'm just waiting for Orpik to get on the post game interview and call out his team for bad play

He can just re-use his quotes from the other night.

They used to call this guy a future captain. Yeah, right. All he can do is talk, he is no leader.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pronovost19 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:50 pm

mikey287 wrote:Players' coaches have a difficult time holding veterans accountable because they might lose the favor of the locker room if it's done incorrectly. Thus, all the problems with the team are taken out on the youth (Despres scratched, Bennett benched tonight). While veteran players, those that would have more pull, are able to get away with a few bad games (or more) and not lose their jersey...Orpik will probably start the next game, Engelland hasn't been scratched yet has he? Kunitz early in the year to a lesser extent, Adams to a lesser extent...some players seem to be immune to the rotation, audition is merely a formality for them...

Personally, I don't believe Bylsma has the wherewithal to sit a player of Orpik's caliber...

Now, I'll say the flip side as someone that has a fair amount of coaching experience (relative to an average person, not an NHL coach). It's a lot easier to talk about benching/scratching a player than it is to actually do it...the consequences can be dire, you can lose the player, you can lose the room, you can affect morale negatively...coaching takes a delicate balance...some players don't like to be pushed and prodded, some players need you to light their ass on fire every night to get a pulse from them...you have to really understand your team at a macro and micro level in order to push the right buttons...

Personally, I think the team can make adjustments with the current core and be ok...I don't think we need to do anything rash, but I'm a "let's not do anything rash" type of guy...will those adjustments get made? Will they be successful? Useful questions.

No ill will or offense to you as a person or coach, but I wish Vince Lombardi could read some of this! I bet he would throw up a little in his mouth. If a professional hockey player acts strangely to being scatched and becomes a locker room cancer, then he needs to pack his bags. It sounds as if entitlement isnt just an issue for those who collect food stamps. My how this country has changed over the last thirty years.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:51 pm

mikey287 wrote:Personally, I think the team can make adjustments with the current core and be ok...I don't think we need to do anything rash, but I'm a "let's not do anything rash" type of guy...will those adjustments get made? Will they be successful? Useful questions.

As is Shero, but status quo tends to be what loses in the playoffs. Teams that add in a meaningful way, and sometimes displace the tried-and-true type of guys, tend to get rewarded. Orpik went from a top US-born Defenseman 2 years ago and declined steeply since. We need the guy that makes the big hit and the timely stick check around the net. He's not been that for more than a year. Have to be able to move on from him, if its necessary.... and its becoming necessary.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pronovost19 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:52 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Personally, I think the team can make adjustments with the current core and be ok...I don't think we need to do anything rash, but I'm a "let's not do anything rash" type of guy...will those adjustments get made? Will they be successful? Useful questions.

As is Shero, but status quo tends to be what loses in the playoffs. Teams that add in a meaningful way, and sometimes displace the tried-and-true type of guys, tend to get rewarded. Orpik went from a top US-born Defenseman 2 years ago and declined steeply since. We need the guy that makes the big hit and the timely stick check around the net. He's not been that for more than a year. Have to be able to move on from him, if its necessary.... and its becoming necessary.

Otherwise known as addition thru subtraction.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:03 am

mikey287 wrote:Players' coaches have a difficult time holding veterans accountable because they might lose the favor of the locker room if it's done incorrectly. Thus, all the problems with the team are taken out on the youth (Despres scratched, Bennett benched tonight). While veteran players, those that would have more pull, are able to get away with a few bad games (or more) and not lose their jersey...Orpik will probably start the next game, Engelland hasn't been scratched yet has he? Kunitz early in the year to a lesser extent, Adams to a lesser extent...some players seem to be immune to the rotation, audition is merely a formality for them...

i'm sure it's a delicate balance. you'd just hope that if he's not willing to scratch/demote/move to wing/whatever, that he's pulling him aside privately and carefully informing him that he's kinda sorta a significant part of the problem.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:06 am

pronovost19 wrote:

No ill will or offense to you as a person or coach, but I wish Vince Lombardi could read some of this! I bet he would throw up a little in his mouth. If a professional hockey player acts strangely to being scatched and becomes a locker room cancer, then he needs to pack his bags. It sounds as if entitlement isnt just an issue for those who collect food stamps. My how this country has changed over the last thirty years.

Well, entitlement today is part of it. People in general aren't as "tough" as they were back in - what I assume is - your day (based on the user name). You can't really have a Herb Brooks go in there and start questioning a player's manhood because of an injury...I mean, you can, but they have a short shelf life generally speaking (Tortorella's struggles this year being Exhibit A). But even back then, certain players just couldn't be bossed around really...they'd just do other things, jump their contracts, etc. Some players, like a Pete Mahovlich type, you could break a 2 by 4 across their shoulders before every game and he'd play harder...some guys just don't care for that type of treatment...

I'm not a "hold hands, let's share, peace and love" pinko coach by any means...but you recognize the psychological make up of a player and you decide whether he'll respond to negative or positive reinforcement...when you coach in the NHL, it's a little easier, there's a thousand guys that want that spot in the lineup and you can trade problem child(ren)...at a collegiate or lower level, there isn't really that opportunity, so you have to make the best of what you have...you can't get rid of those players, you can get rid of the coach...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:07 am

I think one of the problems with this team is absolutely accountability. There isn't any with the vets on the team at least.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins