Alfredsson

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Alfredsson

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:27 pm

If Despres is traded, it would be ideal to get a player in return who could play at least a couple of seasons here. Alfie may not have more than a season or two left in him, so if I'm RS and I've decided to go big, I'd rather go for Iginla. He's got several good seasons left in the tank.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 pm

My money is still on Iginla. I believe that is Shero's target.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:34 pm

MRandall25 wrote:"Bruce Garrioch..."

Stopped reading.

Didn't even click the link with that info out.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Pitts wrote:My money is still on Iginla. I believe that is Shero's target.

Certainly you'd think so, but if he's at all on Shero's...than he's on everyone's list. Hard to say what it would take to get him too.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Does Iggy have any sort of movement clause?

Even if not, if there are similar offers, I could maybe see Feaster moving him for one that might be not -quite- as good, to a team Iggy would really want to go to, as a favor for everything he's done for them.

But probably not. Wishful thinking at its best.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:40 pm

sil wrote:
Pitts wrote:My money is still on Iginla. I believe that is Shero's target.

Certainly you'd think so, but if he's at all on Shero's...than he's on everyone's list. Hard to say what it would take to get him too.

He may be on everyone's list, but he will only want to go to teams that have a legit shot at the Cup. And cap space may be an issue for some teams. Hopefully the prospect of skating with Crosby and having a good shot at a championship will sway his opinion, because I think the Flames will honor his wishes in the end.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Desiato on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:46 pm

I reject the idea that the current Pens need a veteran player to set them straight. They're (young) vets now, some of whom are at the top of their game. They've won a cup. An aging star is going to have very little influence.

Greater leadership needs to come from the bench.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Desiato wrote:I reject the idea that the current Pens need a veteran player to set them straight. They're (young) vets now, some of whom are at the top of their game. They've won a cup. An aging star is going to have very little influence.

I'm thinking you didn't see the game last night then?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Pitts wrote:
Desiato wrote:I reject the idea that the current Pens need a veteran player to set them straight. They're (young) vets now, some of whom are at the top of their game. They've won a cup. An aging star is going to have very little influence.

I'm thinking you missed the 3rd period?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:58 pm

There are alot of things that coaches can't do from the bench that a respected player can. Gary Roberts could diffuse situations by something he said or did, just the same wat Milan Lucic can.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I thought the text in your post was going to say "will retire a Senator. Sorry this is NPR".

Yeah, because so many NHL players finish their career where they start... :lol:
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:03 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

What's your point? That they tied the game with about 10 minutes of powerplay time? My point is clear. They need a leader on the ice who can settle them down so they do not get into these pissing matches with the Flyers (or other teams who WILL employ the same tactics in the playoffs).
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Crosby is on record saying that Alfie is his prototypical winger.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Pitts wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

What's your point? That they tied the game with about 10 minutes of powerplay time? My point is clear. They need a leader on the ice who can settle them down so they do not get into these pissing matches with the Flyers (or other teams who WILL employ the same tactics in the playoffs).

They largely stayed away from the pissing matches in the 3rd period.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:23 pm

MRandall25 wrote:They largely stayed away from the pissing matches in the 3rd period.

I don't really think they did. The Flyers just got the calls more for a change. Point is though, it shouldn't have come to that. As soon as the Flyers went to their game plan, things fell apart for the Pens. They played right into the Flyer's hands. The Pens should never be fighting to come back against an inferior opponent like that. Yet, they ALWAYS do when its the Flyers.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Pitts wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:They largely stayed away from the pissing matches in the 3rd period.

I don't really think they did. The Flyers just got the calls more for a change. Point is though, it shouldn't have come to that. As soon as the Flyers went to their game plan, things fell apart for the Pens. They played right into the Flyer's hands. The Pens should never be fighting to come back against an inferior opponent like that. Yet, they ALWAYS do when its the Flyers.

+1
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby Desiato on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:48 pm

I've seen a lot of Alfredsson over the years, and I don't see how he would have been a factor in the recent Flyers game or series. I'd hate to see the Pens lose a meaningful asset for an expensive 40 year old player who is one injury away from retirement.

The Pens don't have a problem putting a puck in the net. I think the focus should be on keeping it out. Relatively weak wingers are a result of having, arguably, the top two centres in the league. It's a mistake to sacrifice defensive depth to compensate when the team has shown it is more than capable of scoring.

Personally, I think the most pressing roster need is someone who plays like Brooks used to. I love him and think he's still very valuable, but I don't think he's physically capable of doing what he used to, night in and night out, and I don't see anyone else on the team who can.

Up front, I think the Pens would benefit from another Kunitz. It seems that whatever line he's on does well. Especially when Sid and Geno were out.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 pm

LOL no, Alfie is washed up and sees plenty of ice time because the team is in shambles. He is the only reason Ottawa clings onto hope because of their love of the ghost of Alfie.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Also Alfie pretty much said he wants to end his career there, he is very involved with the community and his family plans to live permanently in Ottawa after retirement.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Here's something to consider: the Flyers are going to trade for Jagr, especially if Dallas is out of the hunt. They want him back to skate with Hartnell and Giroux. If the Pens acquired him, it would give Malkin and Neal a veteran linemate and deny Philly from getting him back.

Yes, there would be a media frenzy for a few days, and some fans on here are bitter towards Jagr, blah blah, I get that. But this is a business and making that move could potentially be good on two fronts.

Just sayin.

Wait, hold on. You're saying that the Flyers are gonna make the playoffs? I know that the Bolts, Rags, & Flyers all have 17 points right now but the Bolts & Rags each have 3 games in hand on the Flyers. Flyboys have a long row to hoe to finish in the top 8.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Someone said Craig Andersen got injured tonight, and it didn't look insignificant. If so, nail in the coffin for Ottawaaa.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PhantomJB93 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:51 am

Something tells me the Sens aren't eager to make any trades with the Pens after the whole Karlsson thing, unless we're blatantly being ripped off.

And yes, I've been dreaming about Iginla in a Pens sweater for years. I still don't think it will happen but I do think he is just what this team needs and if he plays for any other team besides the Flames, I think it will be the Penguins. It's just a matter of whether or not he/the Flames are willing to part ways, but if they are willing to move him for a fair return and not a ridiculous "franchise player" return, I think Shero will pull the trigger.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Someone said Craig Andersen got injured tonight, and it didn't look insignificant. If so, nail in the coffin for Ottawaaa.

Kreider got tripped into him and he sprained his ankle. He's day to day now, but who knows how bad the sprain is.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins