Orpik - Official LGP Whipping Boy

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Orpik - Official LGP Whipping Boy

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:20 am

Nizzy wrote:Mikey said it best, Kennedy has peaked. However I'm not sure why. I don't know why this guy doesnt watch tape of Martin St. Louis constantly. MSL was also on Tampa's PK during cup years and after. He does it all, no reason why Kennedy should just be a dump n chaser. Its like he's exactly the same since 2007. Instead you watch how much better Dupuis has become in a 200 foot game, Cooke has completely redesigned his game and puts consistent points up. Low points but at least he is somewhat consistent, and for the price its way better than Kennedy. Max Talbot went from worse than a Kennedy, fringe 4th liner, to blowing up, and turning completely clutch in the cup run.

You can't learn hockey sense, so watching tapes would be a waste of time. TK is what he is. And so is Talbot, who has no goals this season. But I agree that he's probably still more useful than TK. I don't get the comparison to Duper, who as far as I can tell has always been a smart, solid player in all three zones.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:21 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Mikey said it best, Kennedy has peaked. However I'm not sure why. I don't know why this guy doesnt watch tape of Martin St. Louis constantly. MSL was also on Tampa's PK during cup years and after. He does it all, no reason why Kennedy should just be a dump n chaser. Its like he's exactly the same since 2007. Instead you watch how much better Dupuis has become in a 200 foot game, Cooke has completely redesigned his game and puts consistent points up. Low points but at least he is somewhat consistent, and for the price its way better than Kennedy. Max Talbot went from worse than a Kennedy, fringe 4th liner, to blowing up, and turning completely clutch in the cup run.

We could have Max Talbot on the 3rd line Center/wing, instead of Tyler Kennedy at 2.0. We could have Max at 2.0.

They picked the wrong guy. Shero didn't pick the clutch goal scorer in Talbot that can play anywhere in the lineup and produce, who can do faceoffs and P.K., instead he picked T.K. because he hit the magic number of 20. Talbot is so much better than Kennedy when you look at full skill sets and what evreything that they can do.

Talbot? You're going to use Talbot here to say Shero made a mistake. Talbot who was just as bad as Kennedy is before leaving, Talbot who forgot what made him such a good player in the first place, Talbot who got more money and years from the Flyers than anyone else was willing to offer. You're going to use Kennedy to grind your ax about Talbot? Come on. Talbot...

Non-sarcasm though Talbot was awful at the time he left here and felt slighted that the Pens weren't going to pay him more money for longer years. He wasn't going to round back into shape here. It took going to Philly and him thinking he had something to prove to make him play like the Talbot we all fell in love with.

Talbot did have a bad season in his last season as a Penguin. However he has a more complete game and can simply do more things than Kennedy.

2012 playoff statistics

Tyler Kennedy 6 games, 0-0
Max Talbot 11 games, 4-2

The problem with Kennedy is, even if he was making 600k he would be borderline worthless/fringe nhler. Now with him making 2.0M he should be a more consistent player. Not just goal scoring, just consistent with 'getting to his game' instead of doing nothing for 7-8 games at a time.

It's like you have to try to be the exact same player for so many years. He really hid on Jordan's wing as the best 3rd line in the league for 5 years. He stands out more now, in a bad way, since Jordan is gone.

You make a good point about Talbot having to possible prove something back at the pens for not signing him, but take TK's 20 goal year away and Talbot's stats are just as similar if not better. Talbot netted 19 last year. My point is that I think Talbot at 2.0m would be more useful on this team than TK.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 am

I can't argue that. Like I said, at the time Talbot was awful and thought he should get paid on the back of those cup goals... heck he thought that's all he had to do for the rest of his career at the time. I would have liked Raffi Torres or Steve Ott but neither of those happened. Worrying about what might have been or could have been with hindsight isn't worth it. Talbot is gone, Kennedy is here, and this current Pens team doesn't have a huge glaring weakness save maybe Malkin's LW.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:32 am

+ Joke Coach.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Godric wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
Godric wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:Huh? You are starting to rival BEPF's thread starting.

I can't even remember the last thread I started. Its been awhile.

You know you don't have to post in this thread right? Quit trolling, you're not a mod and no one cares what you think.

A: I was trying to kind of joke around with you.
B: The last thread you started was Fire Bylsma. aka Corey Perry. It wasnt that long ago.

I am sorry, I'm an ass sincerely

Same here. That didnt come off as me joking. And I was confused because I've never seen anything here where Orpik was a whipping boy, just times his play has been rightly critisized. I thought you were just posting to post.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins