28 Pgh police officers and OT (edit: Mayor Luke gone?)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 28 Pgh police officers made more than their police chief

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:07 pm

pfim wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
pfim wrote:
Spangler wrote:My brother is a cop outside of PA, and he works a ton of extra events as OT. He may end up working all day. If you put the work in, you should be paid.

The media always makes the cops look bad where he's from. A crackhead could be opening fire in a public area, forcing them to shoot him, and the media always focuses on shooters family to make it look tragic. That example has actually happened.

He says the media never tells the full story.

While I understand it's an extreme example, if the cop's salary is $66k and he makes an additional $105k, that means he's working, on average, 80 to 90 hours a week for an entire year.

I don't blame him for doing so if he's putting in the time, but that's incredibly wasteful.

YEah, and if a cop is logging 90 hours a week, it would be cheaper to pay the "overhead" to hire more workers.

would it? in the example listed above the officer is making 39k greater than his normal wage. if he is issued that by working an extra 30 hours per week, this is about 1700 hours yearly. with pensions, bennys, etc you arent going to find someone to work 1700 hours and pay them 39k

No, you misunderstand. His salary is $66k. His premium time paid is $105k. Total compensation: $171k.

Oooooo
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:27 am

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:45 am

I still don't understand this renting out of employees. Why an organization would do this makes no sense to me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I still don't understand this renting out of employees. Why an organization would do this makes no sense to me.

I think it's a decent way to have these guys supplement their income. Meaning it's more likely they'll stay cops if they have this than go work privately. And it should be a revenue generator for the department, though in reality it doesn't seem like it is.

And it seems completely out of hand.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:06 am

Yeah, I guess i'm just not seeing the benefit for the department, but I guess thats probably because of the way that they're implementing it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 am

If I work two network admin jobs I'm not getting payed OT for the second one. I don't like this "renting" of law enforcement officers unless the business that is renting them is paying all of their extra pay.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby roland on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 pm

thepittman wrote:If I work two network admin jobs I'm not getting payed OT for the second one. I don't like this "renting" of law enforcement officers unless the business that is renting them is paying all of their extra pay.

The businesses are paying all of the extra pay. That is not the issue at hand. The problem is that when the businesses repaid the Pgh Police, the money wasn't deposited back into the fund that it was taken from. the money went to a 3rd account under the supervision of Nate Harper rather than the finance dept. This special account had debit cards that higher ups used and allegedly Ravenstahls body guards had cards as well which were used for travel expenses.

why WTAE put this list out is beyond me since the amount of OT worked isn't the issue at hand. It's all about shady accounting practices with the money that was reimbursed back into the police department.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:28 pm

roland wrote:
thepittman wrote:If I work two network admin jobs I'm not getting payed OT for the second one. I don't like this "renting" of law enforcement officers unless the business that is renting them is paying all of their extra pay.

The businesses are paying all of the extra pay. That is not the issue at hand. The problem is that when the businesses repaid the Pgh Police, the money wasn't deposited back into the fund that it was taken from. the money went to a 3rd account under the supervision of Nate Harper rather than the finance dept. This special account had debit cards that higher ups used and allegedly Ravenstahls body guards had cards as well which were used for travel expenses.

why WTAE put this list out is beyond me since the amount of OT worked isn't the issue at hand. It's all about shady accounting practices with the money that was reimbursed back into the police department.

That may not be your issue, but its certainly an understandable concern. I have the same one.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:38 pm

It may be a separate issue, but if a patrolman is overworked or if pension calculations are affected by the overtime, then of course it is an issue the public should care about.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:57 pm

roland wrote:

I think the pitfalls associated with working 80-100 hours a week for a job such as policeman are obvious, particularly where the pay for the security detail is a helluva a lot more than the actual job. That doesn't mean it was illegal for them to do so, but its not a system that should be the one in place moving forward.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Mac, is that pic Ravenstahl or something?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:02 pm

slappybrown wrote:Mac, is that pic Ravenstahl or something?

Yeah I guess it was taken at McFaddens.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 pm

I don't understand the problem unless the cops were charging hours that they were not working. Businesses are paying the city for the hours that the cops are working, it isn't even wasting tax money. Unless there is some shady crap where this is getting funneled into some fund that isn't known.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:06 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:I don't understand the problem unless the cops were charging hours that they were not working. Businesses are paying the city for the hours that the cops are working, it isn't even wasting tax money. Unless there is some shady crap where this is getting funneled into some fund that isn't known.

the pension thing isn't great, but yeah, i haven't found any of this to be that out of bounds.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 pm

the money isn't going in the city/police accounts that its supposed to go to. its going into a slush fund that the mayor and his pals used for off the books purchases and travel.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:46 pm

technically the businesses are paying for police coverage via taxes. Having to pay extra just means they want something a bit more - which is fine.

I'm okay with cops working overtime if businesses want them specifically.

I'm not okay with pensions being based on the total amount of this overtime, nor if the money being paid for this purpose is ending in someone's slush account.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Personally, I don't want my cops working 100 hours a week. Lots of jobs have restrictions on additional part-time work. You can call this OT, but this is a second job. They should probably max out at 60 hours a week or something.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:51 am

Cops shouldn't be working 80 hours a week.

It also makes very little sense to pay someone so much overtime when hiring another patrolman to work at regular wage would save on cost.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Let's be honest is hanging out with mayor Luke at McFaddens on a Friday night "work"
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:58 am

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/02/ ... ut-future/

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl is expected to make a major announcement today concerning his family and his future, KDKA-TV has learned.
Sources tell KDKA Investigator Andy Sheehan that the mayor may hold a news conference sometime this afternoon.
At that time he could announce that he will finish out his term, but not run for re-election and retire from politics. Currently he’s locked in a primary election battle with controller Michael Lamb, and Councilman Bill Peduto.
Sources say the mayor could also announce that he is stepping down under the strain of the current federal grand jury investigation of the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:58 am

take the easy way out luke, you've done it all your career :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 28 Pgh police officers and OT (edit: Mayor Luke gone?)

Postby viva la ben on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Steelerstahl should announce his resignation then break into "My Way" as he exits stage left.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:07 pm

How long has he been in office?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Mayor Resignationstahl
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Rylan wrote:How long has he been in office?

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR