Leech problem (work related)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Leech problem (work related)

Postby CERV96 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 am

I work at CMU near Schenley Park. 4 months ago I bought a parking permit at work. I offered to take some guys to the park after work(where they park for free) every now and then when they can not get a ride up the hill. Now they seem to take advantage and assume I can ride them up every day. It is starting to get kind of annoying. What is the best way of handling this with out being a jerk? Any type of help would be apriciated.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,663
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:24 am

Just tell them you have to go and walking won't kill them. Then call them a derogatory name that insults their manhood. Problem solved.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,938
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:26 am

Tell them to call Escort Service.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,581
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:43 am

Tell them you're car is full of junk that you need to take to your parents house and there's no room for them. Tell them that you haven't gotten a chance to get rid of it for the next times they ask. Actually put stuff in your car if you don't want to be caught in the lie. Other options are working late until they leave, telling them you have plans right after work and don't have time, or you could always tell them the truth.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,422
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 am

How many of them are there? Divide the cost of a parking permit by however many of them there are and charge them. If they're friends, you should have no problem with it and they really shouldn't either. If they're not friends they are put in the position of just paying or getting mad about it and justifying your decision not to give them a ride.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,316
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 am

Do they sit around and wait for you or something? If not, just leave and the next day tell them you were in a hurry.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,580
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Inside the tumor in Crosby's neck.

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby CERV96 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:02 am

JeffDFD wrote:Do they sit around and wait for you or something? If not, just leave and the next day tell them you were in a hurry.


They follow me right to my truck after we punch out everyday @ 4PM. I should have never offered but one day I felt bad when they did not have a ride. So I asked one day if they needed one. One day turned in to every so often, then it just became an every day thing. The guy that used to ride them I believe noticed and stopped doing it. There is 3 of them. Only one used to ask, then 2 followed, now all three of them expect a ride up to the park. The real kicker is they can ride the bus for free up there with our work I.D.'s
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,663
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby CERV96 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:05 am

I am just thinking about telling them that I am going to start taking another route home.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,663
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby Froggy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 am

I thought this thread was going to be about actual leeches, and I was wondering what kind of job you had
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,752
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 am

CERV96 wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:Do they sit around and wait for you or something? If not, just leave and the next day tell them you were in a hurry.


They follow me right to my truck after we punch out everyday @ 4PM. I should have never offered but one day I felt bad when they did not have a ride. So I asked one day if they needed one. One day turned in to every so often, then it just became an every day thing. The guy that used to ride them I believe noticed and stopped doing it. There is 3 of them. Only one used to ask, then 2 followed, now all three of them expect a ride up to the park. The real kicker is they can ride the bus for free up there with our work I.D.'s


Do you have to leave at 4 when they do?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,580
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Inside the tumor in Crosby's neck.

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby ville5 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 am

Tell them you went to the Dr. and found out you have AIDS. lol, they won't come within a mile of you.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,770
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 am

Tell them to go **** themselves. That usually solves most issues.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,623
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:44 am

CERV96 wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:Do they sit around and wait for you or something? If not, just leave and the next day tell them you were in a hurry.


They follow me right to my truck after we punch out everyday @ 4PM. I should have never offered but one day I felt bad when they did not have a ride. So I asked one day if they needed one. One day turned in to every so often, then it just became an every day thing. The guy that used to ride them I believe noticed and stopped doing it. There is 3 of them. Only one used to ask, then 2 followed, now all three of them expect a ride up to the park. The real kicker is they can ride the bus for free up there with our work I.D.'s


When you park, either pull through to the spot or back in. When you go to the truck, only unlock the drivers door, get in and drive away. They'll get the idea.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,316
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46 am

Froggy wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about actual leeches, and I was wondering what kind of job you had


I thought the same thing.

As for getting rid of the problem, tell them you are going home a different way or something and that you won't be passing there anymore. THey will move onto the next victim.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,492
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby Jopaz on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:50 am

Froggy wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about actual leeches, and I was wondering what kind of job you had



Same here. It's not like these guys are stealing your lunch. A better word would be "freeloaders".

Can you change your hours +/- 15 minutes either way? That would solve the problem.
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:56 pm

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:03 am

CERV, I assume that those guys used to park in that dirt lot down by the railroad tracks, and lost those spaces because of the new building construction, and therefore park in Schenley now for free? As a fellow CMU'er, I understand your pain with the parking here on campus. Pretty much everyone got screwed one way or another over the past year because of the cost of street parking going up, parking lots going away, therefore it affecting everyone.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,579
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby ville5 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 am

Honestly, honesty is the best option here.
First off, you said someone else uses to ride them. They obviously put an end to the situation. Now its your turn to end it.
Secondly, its best to not fracture any business/work relationships. You never know who your leeches know. Not only might have connections higher up, but if they don't read this board, they might know someone who does.
And that someone might be able to add 2+2.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,770
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 pm

I don't think just saying "hey, Im not going to be able to ride you guys to your cars everyday (or anymore, or ever again, or whatever you want)" would be too hard.

Honesty is the best policy. But they may look at you funny if you say that and then drive past them as they walk up the street. That is why I was asking if you could leave after/before them.

Being honest is good. Just say it cant be a regular thing...dont need to go into specifics and if they ask why just use an honest excuse like "i dont always drive past that" "sometimes I am in a hurry and need to leave quickly" "you can't depend on me every day because I have different things going on"- or whatever is true that you are OK with saying.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,580
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Inside the tumor in Crosby's neck.

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Just say "its bs that I pay to park here and you don't but you are benefiting from it while i'm being further inconvenienced."
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,316
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby CERV96 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
CERV96 wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:Do they sit around and wait for you or something? If not, just leave and the next day tell them you were in a hurry.


They follow me right to my truck after we punch out everyday @ 4PM. I should have never offered but one day I felt bad when they did not have a ride. So I asked one day if they needed one. One day turned in to every so often, then it just became an every day thing. The guy that used to ride them I believe noticed and stopped doing it. There is 3 of them. Only one used to ask, then 2 followed, now all three of them expect a ride up to the park. The real kicker is they can ride the bus for free up there with our work I.D.'s


Do you have to leave at 4 when they do?


Yep, we can only stay late if we are on a job and need to finish that day.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,663
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby CERV96 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:CERV, I assume that those guys used to park in that dirt lot down by the railroad tracks, and lost those spaces because of the new building construction, and therefore park in Schenley now for free? As a fellow CMU'er, I understand your pain with the parking here on campus. Pretty much everyone got screwed one way or another over the past year because of the cost of street parking going up, parking lots going away, therefore it affecting everyone.


Yes, they park at the top of the hill by the golf coarse. I got a Morewood pass this summer knowing that they were going to shut the tracks down.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,663
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:54 pm

A doormat has "welcome" written on it.

Tell them that if this continues to be a regular thing, they need to split the cost of your expenses. Firm but fair.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,305
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby meow on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Then call them a derogatory name that insults their manhood.

I use this to solve 99% of my problems. Works like a charm.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,597
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 pm

I thought this was about the actual bug/worm thing. I thought he was getting leeches attached to him while at work.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,129
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Leech problem (work related)

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:05 pm

CERV96 wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:CERV, I assume that those guys used to park in that dirt lot down by the railroad tracks, and lost those spaces because of the new building construction, and therefore park in Schenley now for free? As a fellow CMU'er, I understand your pain with the parking here on campus. Pretty much everyone got screwed one way or another over the past year because of the cost of street parking going up, parking lots going away, therefore it affecting everyone.


Yes, they park at the top of the hill by the golf coarse. I got a Morewood pass this summer knowing that they were going to shut the tracks down.


I used to park on Frew, but when they raised the rates up, I moved into Morewood over the summer. I hated that lot, as it added so much time to my commute just getting in and out of it on Forbes. They are supposed to put a new lot down by the tracks once the new building is done.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,579
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

Next

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Columbus Penguins, Dickie Dunn, DudeMan2766, shoeshine boy, stopper40 and 7 guests


e-mail