Malkin's next contract

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby Puffymuffin on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:12 am

I have this feeling that his next contract might not be with the Pens.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:23 am

Kaizer wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
scals37 wrote:They still have the same agent right? Can't see why they wouldn't push for the same cap hit as Sid

Because Sid is better?

"sorry geno, even though you could get more somewhere else, we've decided to insult you by offering less than your current semi-bargain contract. please accept because we all know crosby is more valuable."

Not taking management's side, I'm sure Crosby's agent was pushing him to take more money each of his past two contracts. I would like to see Malkin step up and say I don't think I should make more than Crosby but looking at his history, I doubt he will: I play 3 years in Super League? He certainly has put in copious amounts of time mastering English and becoming a league leader in faceoffs.
Crosby is the better all around player, simple as that, and should have the higher cap hit but I doubt we will see this. I like Malkin but value Crosby more.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 am

Steve Dave wrote:
Kaizer wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
scals37 wrote:They still have the same agent right? Can't see why they wouldn't push for the same cap hit as Sid

Because Sid is better?

"sorry geno, even though you could get more somewhere else, we've decided to insult you by offering less than your current semi-bargain contract. please accept because we all know crosby is more valuable."

Not taking management's side, I'm sure Crosby's agent was pushing him to take more money each of his past two contracts. I would like to see Malkin step up and say I don't think I should make more than Crosby but looking at his history, I doubt he will: I play 3 years in Super League? He certainly has put in copious amounts of time mastering English and becoming a league leader in faceoffs.
Crosby is the better all around player, simple as that, and should have the higher cap hit but I doubt we will see this. I like Malkin but value Crosby more.

:face: :face: :face:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
Kaizer wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

Because Sid is better?

:face: :face: :face:

Thanks Pavel, how's that knee?
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:13 am

Steve Dave wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote: :face: :face: :face:

Much better than the nationalism spouted above.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:18 am

columbia wrote:If having the same cap hit as Crosby makes him happy and a Penguin for life, you do it.

This. I think it will be around the 8.7, maybe 9.0-9.5 range.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:18 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote: :face: :face: :face:

Much better than the nationalism spouted above.

That's great! Nice choke job against the Rangers.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 am

Puffymuffin wrote:I have this feeling that his next contract might not be with the Pens.

I'd be shocked if it was.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 am

I don't think Malkin asks for more than Crosby.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 am

Admin wrote:
Puffymuffin wrote:I have this feeling that his next contract might not be with the Pens.

1. Admin sighting
2. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 am

Admin wrote:

I am of the same thought. I think there is a bit of overconfidence that Malkin will be inclined to stay in Pittsburgh.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:31 am

Steve Dave wrote:
That's great! Nice choke job against the Rangers.

Let's try it this way. You're Shero and you laugh at Malkin wanting a lot of money because "he doesn't speak great English and he doesn't lead the league in faceoff percentage." Malkin's agent looks at you and says, "This is a guy that is an all-star, a Hart, Lindsay, Art Ross, and Conn Smyth trophy winner, and a guy who puts up 90+ points a year and you want to tell me you don't want to pay him because he doesn't speak English like you and because his faceoffs aren't great?" It's a silly argument. Malkin will get paid whatever he wants and if he wants to stay here it will have to be less than market value but Malkin definitely can choose his own destiny and if he chooses, he can take the biggest payday offered because it will be out there.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:31 am

If Malkin is going to leave, tank for McDavid? :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:37 am

Penguins' Free Agents 2013:
Tyler Kennedy (RFA)
Matt Cooke
Pascal Dupuis
Craig Adams
Zach Boychuk (RFA)
Dustin Jeffrey (RFA)
Robert Bortuzzo (RFA)

Projected Cap: $64,300,000
Current Payroll: $53,698,333
Project Cap Space: $10,601,667
Open Roster Spots: 6

Penguins' Free Agents 2014:
Evgeni Malkin
Chris Kunitz
Brandon Sutter (RFA)
Tanner Glass
Joe Vitale
Brooke Orpik
Kris Letang
Matt Niskanen
Simon Despres (RFA)
Deryk Engelland
Tomas Vokoun

Projected Cap: $64,300,000
Current Payroll: $24,600,000
Project Cap Space: $39,700,000
Open Roster Spots: 17
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:42 am

Oh cool, Kennedy and Adams are almost done.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:50 am

Admin wrote:

i wouldn't be surprised either way. Though if malkin moves on, i'll be nervous about our succession plan. sutter isn't a 2nd line center - not from what we've seen anyways. and we have nada in our prospect pool. i don't like the idea of finding his replacement in the UFA market. overpayment is the norm in that premise.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:52 am

I think the chances of him being a long term Pen are far more likely than not.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:52 am

If it's clear Malkin isn't going to re-sign here do you move him if you're Shero even if the team is looking good for the playoffs?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 am

Pavel Bure wrote:If it's clear Malkin isn't going to re-sign here do you move him if you're Shero even if the team is looking good for the playoffs?

In a heartbeat
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:59 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:If it's clear Malkin isn't going to re-sign here do you move him if you're Shero even if the team is looking good for the playoffs?

In a heartbeat

sure, who cares about winning the cup this year, anyways? we have all the time in the world where our critical players are in the primes of their careers.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:02 am

You are contradicting yourself right now. You just made it perfectly clear that our succession plan is looking quite murky if Malkin decides to not re-sign with the team. Are you really going to sacrifice the opportunity to get a great return for Malkin (and possibly solve that looming issue) merely to have him for one last playoff run?

Winning the Stanley Cup is extraordinarily difficult, even with two of the best players in the world. I would much rather take the odds of getting a solid return back and improving my long-term prospects than taking a risk on bowing out of the playoffs and not getting crap in return. Besides, who is to say we couldn't win the Cup without him?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 am

shmenguin wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

In a heartbeat

sure, who cares about winning the cup this year, anyways? we have all the time in the world where our critical players are in the primes of their careers.

I wouldn't move him this year, but next year I would if it appears we aren't signing him.

You can get a ton in return. You have to look for the long term future of the team.

That said, I don't think we get to this point. I think we sign him over the summer.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:08 am

shafnutz05 wrote:You are contradicting yourself right now. You just made it perfectly clear that our succession plan is looking quite murky if Malkin decides to not re-sign with the team. Are you really going to sacrifice the opportunity to get a great return for Malkin (and possibly solve that looming issue) merely to have him for one last playoff run?

Winning the Stanley Cup is extraordinarily difficult, even with two of the best players in the world. I would much rather take the odds of getting a solid return back and improving my long-term prospects than taking a risk on bowing out of the playoffs and not getting crap in return. Besides, who is to say we couldn't win the Cup without him?

there's no contradiction. leave that rhetoric in the PDT. the succession plan is murky, but not to the degree where i'd want to forfeit a season because of it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:10 am

shafnutz05 wrote:You are contradicting yourself right now. You just made it perfectly clear that our succession plan is looking quite murky if Malkin decides to not re-sign with the team. Are you really going to sacrifice the opportunity to get a great return for Malkin (and possibly solve that looming issue) merely to have him for one last playoff run?

If you know he isn't returning, you trade him by the deadline next year. You get picks, prospects and players for right then.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am

shmenguin wrote:there's no contradiction. leave that rhetoric in the PDT. the succession plan is murky, but not to the degree where i'd want to forfeit a season because of it.

There is certainly no rhetoric here, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Honestly, I trust the front office to accurately assess the chances of us making a deep run in the playoffs. If it's looking really good, I'd be much more inclined to keep Malkin and "let it ride". But man, you are most certainly taking a huge risk in not getting any value for him.

Again, that being said, why does it have to necessarily be "forfeiting a season"? Factoring in what we get in return, and the fact that we still would have the best player in the league, I'm failing to understand why this would necessarily mean our team is deep-sixed for that season.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins