Malkin's next contract

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby slappybrown on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 pm

This is pre-CBA. I think that alters the calculus. I wish I could find the quote from Sid on this.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,058
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby sil on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:06 pm

tfrizz wrote:If you use Mirtle's projection of a $64.3-mil cap for the 2014-15 season, and start off with Malkin @ $9.5-mil and Letang @ $5.5-mil, this is how things would look:

<vacant> - Crosby (8.700) - Bennett (0.900)
<vacant> - Malkin (9.500) - Neal (5.000)
<vacant> - <vacant> - <vacant>
<vacant> - <vacant> - <vacant>
<vacant>

Martin (5.000) - Letang (5.500)
<vacant> - <vacant>
<vacant> - <vacant>
<vacant>

Fleury (5.000)
<vacant>

Salary Cap: 64.300
Cap Space Committed: 39.600
Remaining Cap Space: 24.700
Open Roster Spots: 15



Shero will likely have to go hunting for bargain basement 3rd/4th liners and 3rd pairing guys at or around league minimum.


I think it'll be higher than $64.3M for the 14-15 season, but not by a lot. The above situation is a bit unsettling for me. We're all okay to say goodbye to Sutter (I'd guess he'll be due to make around $3.5M on his next deal?)...and see Orpik ($4M) go elsewhere? What about Niskanen ($3.5M) and Despres ($3-3.5M...just a guess if he's able to establish himself as a top-4 by '14-15?)???

Assuming those 4 get resigned...that would then leave us only about $10-$11M to sign all the remaining 11 roster spots. Yikes.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,111
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:16 pm

I don't think Sutter is going anywhere. I believe the above is simply what would be locked in if we added the Malkin contract.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,882
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby slappybrown on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:27 pm

I think Orpik is gone after his deal expires unless he takes a big cut. Letang is more likely to be traded than Malkin is IMO. At some point, either those D-men you drafted either (1) become the top-4 players they are supposed to be or (2) you turn them into other assets.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,058
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:58 pm

If Letang would get dealt before Malkin I would be interested to see what Letang brings in return would Shero bring in a winger? or another D-man that's cheaper then Letang and hope he fills in for him.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,487
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:01 pm

SolidSnake wrote:If Letang would get dealt before Malkin I would be interested to see what Letang brings in return would Shero bring in a winger? or another D-man that's cheaper then Letang and hope he fills in for him.


I feel like, if they were to trade Letang, they'd believe that Simon Despres or Joe Morrow was ready to fill that spot.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,520
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:If Letang would get dealt before Malkin I would be interested to see what Letang brings in return would Shero bring in a winger? or another D-man that's cheaper then Letang and hope he fills in for him.


I feel like, if they were to trade Letang, they'd believe that Simon Despres or Joe Morrow was ready to fill that spot.

That's true an in-house replacement would make the most sense. Letang wouldn't fetch as much as Malkin, it's going to be interesting.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,487
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby pittsburghsportsfan on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:06 pm

jwest21 wrote:
columbia wrote:If having the same cap hit as Crosby makes him happy and a Penguin for life, you do it.

agreed

agreed. Crosby & Malkin could both make more somewhere else, it's just a matter of them wanting to stay in Pittsburgh or not.
pittsburghsportsfan
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby slappybrown on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:08 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:If Letang would get dealt before Malkin I would be interested to see what Letang brings in return would Shero bring in a winger? or another D-man that's cheaper then Letang and hope he fills in for him.


I feel like, if they were to trade Letang, they'd believe that Simon Despres or Joe Morrow was ready to fill that spot.

That's true an in-house replacement would make the most sense. Letang wouldn't fetch as much as Malkin, it's going to be interesting.

Again, if you keep drafting and trading for young strapping D-men they had better make it/be flipped into other assets. I'm not as critical as others of Shero's apparent fetish in this respect, but they had better start paying dividends and soon.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,058
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:14 pm

I agree, also depending on what happens with Malkin's concussion could factor into things.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,487
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:40 pm

tfrizz wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Malkin's not going anywhere and will be re-signed for a few reasons, the most important being somewhere around 9-10 million in guaranteed dollars that he will never see if he signs somewhere else. The best he can do is a seven-year deal somewhere else versus an eight-year deal here. Unless he makes up that figure somewhere else -- where they'd have to add around 1.2mm or so onto each year -- it makes no economic sense for this enigmatic, greedy, lackadaisacal Eurotrash Russian to sign anywhere else.

Carrying two cap hits between 8.7-10 over 8 years isn't as bad as it sounds, particularly with a cap guaranteed never to go below ~65mm. Its also comparable to what some other teams have done if a bit higher, and Mirtle's cap projections indicate that the by the end of the CBA we could be looking at a 90mm ceiling ( http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le7029575/ ).

Sid's already acknowledged that Malkin will likely have a higher cap figure than he will, simply because of the fact that you can't do a 12-year deal any longer. If I had to guess, I'd say 8 years, 78 million, coming at 9.75. To compare, if you're another team, that same contract is 7 years, 78 million, for a 11.15 cap hit. As far as I know, no one has ever hit a higher AAV than Ovechkin's 9.5mm. I find it hard to believe that after the lockout, and with the rules in place to prevent owners from committing economic suicide, you'd see someone willing to do a new non-circumvention deal at 11mm plus.

I sign him if he's anywhere between 8.7-10.


If you use Mirtle's projection of a $64.3-mil cap for the 2014-15 season, and start off with Malkin @ $9.5-mil and Letang @ $5.5-mil, this is how things would look:

<vacant> - Crosby (8.700) - Bennett (0.900)
<vacant> - Malkin (9.500) - Neal (5.000)
<vacant> - <vacant> - <vacant>
<vacant> - <vacant> - <vacant>
<vacant>

Martin (5.000) - Letang (5.500)
<vacant> - <vacant>
<vacant> - <vacant>
<vacant>

Fleury (5.000)
<vacant>

Salary Cap: 64.300
Cap Space Committed: 39.600
Remaining Cap Space: 24.700
Open Roster Spots: 15



Shero will likely have to go hunting for bargain basement 3rd/4th liners and 3rd pairing guys at or around league minimum.


not that this changes the essence of what you're saying, but letang is going to make more than 5.5 in his next contract.

this also shows that we're not buyers for iginla or any other fun name being thrown around as a deadline acquisition.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,605
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:43 pm

I guess what it comes down to is, If Malkin wants more then 8.7 then Shero will have no other choice but to trade Malkin
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,487
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:09 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I guess what it comes down to is, If Malkin wants more then 8.7 then Shero will have no other choice but to trade Malkin



Full Circle. Malkin for Kopitar, Brown, and Jack Johnson!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,705
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:12 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I guess what it comes down to is, If Malkin wants more then 8.7 then Shero will have no other choice but to trade Malkin


Or trade Sid to Montreal. :scared:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,437
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Disco is dead.

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Wasn't Nashville also a rumored destination for Malkin? Malkin for a 1st, Weber, Hornqvist and Fisher Wake up RS!
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,487
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I guess what it comes down to is, If Malkin wants more then 8.7 then Shero will have no other choice but to trade Malkin



Full Circle. Malkin for Kopitar, Brown, and Jack Johnson!


Malkinites unite!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,776
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby Nizzy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Didn't read the thread but I already though about this a lot.

71 Million 8 Year Contract (Max Years under new CBA)

8.875 cap hit/per year. Crosby won't care at all. Lets call it the little bit extra for those longer flights back to Russia contract. I'd put 500 bucks down right now that's the exact contract he gets after this season.

Nizzy answered the thread, you are free to lock + sticky it Three Stars.

No dumping Malkin :)
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,614
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:14 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Wasn't Nashville also a rumored destination for Malkin? Malkin for a 1st, Weber, Hornqvist and Fisher Wake up RS!


Kunitz Crosby Neal
Hornqvist Staal Dupuis
Cooke Fisher Kennedy
Glass Vitale Adams
Bennett Jeffrey

Weber Letang
Orpik Martin
Despres Niskanen
Bortuzzo Engeland

Sorry Boychuk/Eaton...
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Wasn't Nashville also a rumored destination for Malkin? Malkin for a 1st, Weber, Hornqvist and Fisher Wake up RS!


Kunitz Crosby Neal
Hornqvist Staal Dupuis
Cooke Fisher Kennedy
Glass Vitale Adams
Bennett Jeffrey

Weber Letang
Orpik Martin
Despres Niskanen
Bortuzzo Engeland

Sorry Boychuk/Eaton...

I'm fine with that lineup but how did the Pens get Staal back? :scared:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,487
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:28 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Wasn't Nashville also a rumored destination for Malkin? Malkin for a 1st, Weber, Hornqvist and Fisher Wake up RS!


Kunitz Crosby Neal
Hornqvist Staal Dupuis
Cooke Fisher Kennedy
Glass Vitale Adams
Bennett Jeffrey

Weber Letang
Orpik Martin
Despres Niskanen
Bortuzzo Engeland

Sorry Boychuk/Eaton...

I'm fine with that lineup but how did the Pens get Staal back? :scared:


He never left because Shero traded Malkin before Staal left, so he stayed since he was getting 2nd line duty.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Malkin's next contract

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Nizzy wrote:Didn't read the thread but I already though about this a lot.

71 Million 8 Year Contract (Max Years under new CBA)

8.875 cap hit/per year. Crosby won't care at all. Lets call it the little bit extra for those longer flights back to Russia contract. I'd put 500 bucks down right now that's the exact contract he gets after this season.

Nizzy answered the thread, you are free to lock + sticky it Three Stars.

No dumping Malkin :)


Rossi just reported that Crosby has spoken with Shero and does not want Malkin's Cap hit to be higher than his so Shero is planning on asking Malkin to change his number from 71 to 69 so that Shero may then extend him at 8 years, $69 million for a 8.625 Cap hit.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


e-mail