Official GDT Pens vs FLA 2/26/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT Pens vs FLA 2/26/13

Postby BurghThing on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:57 pm

So Disco in his post game wonders about the discipline. How about addressing it instead of just wondering about it. How about holding players accountable instead of just wondering about it?
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 pm

BurghThing wrote:So Disco in his post game wonders about the discipline. How about addressing it instead of just wondering about it. How about holding players accountable instead of just wondering about it?

At what point does it become the player's fault?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Why do we have to win the Cup every year?

:?:
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 pm

What's the safety word for Thursday's game?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:00 am

Mr. Colby wrote:

Everyone complains that this team doesn't win more Cups or hasn't been that deep in the playoffs. I'm wondering why we have to go deep in the playoffs every year and why that's what people are setting their expectations at.

Not all great teams win a Cup. Not all teams that win a Cup are great teams. You can be a great team (like we have) and not win a Cup (and we have, within the last 4 years).
Last edited by MRandall25 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 am

Mr. Colby wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I know you can't win the all, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to bed annoyed as hell.

See ya, folks.

Again, it's not THAT we lost, it's HOW we lost

I'm with you, Mr. Colby. That's why I'm annoyed.

Hey...totally off-topic: How's the new job been going?

It's been great actually... really busy though, but I'm happy to say I don't dread getting up and going... I'm the kind of person that gets really invested in whatever it is that I'm doing though so that helps a lot.

Thanks for asking Dish!

:thumb: Awesome! You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's going so well! See what happens when you take the advice of the LGP corporate experts?

Now, speaking of "being invested," if we can transfer some of your work ethic (remember "investment hockey"?) to our Pens... :lol:

Goodnight!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 am

MRandall25 wrote:
BurghThing wrote:So Disco in his post game wonders about the discipline. How about addressing it instead of just wondering about it. How about holding players accountable instead of just wondering about it?

No one's saying it's not the players' fault... They're saying the players aren't being held accountable for their faults. Other than guys Bylsma doesn't like (Lovejoy, Tangradi, Jeffrey)
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:02 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:

Everyone complains that this team doesn't win more Cups or hasn't been that deep in the playoffs. I'm wondering why we have to go deep in the playoffs every year and why that's what people are setting their expectations at.

I'm not even going to touch this one. This has to be trolling. It has to be.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens2005 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:

Because winning is the standard.

Anything less and you aren't setting your expectations high enough in sports.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 am

Mr. Colby wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:

Sorry you think it is.

I'm thinking the reason people get pissy every time the Pens lose one game is because they set their expectations too high. Is it that bad to question that?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:04 am

I guarantee the owners expect a lot more than one measly playoff series victory over the last three seasons and potentially counting. Winning the Cup every year obviously isn't a realistic expectation but nobody should be satisfied with the way this roster has performed overall since they won the Cup. They spend to the cap every year with the expectation that they're going to get some healthy playoff revenue.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:04 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:

A month of the Breakfast Thread and having a reason to play paper airplane game all day every other workday.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:06 am

Henry Hank wrote:I guarantee the owners expect a lot more than one measly playoff series victory over the last three seasons and potentially counting. Winning the Cup every year obviously isn't a realistic expectation but nobody should be satisfied with the way this roster has performed overall since they won the Cup. They spend to the cap every year with the expectation that they're going to get some healthy playoff revenue.

Really? There are 27 other teams who haven't won a Cup since we last did. Even then, only 8 teams make the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Sorry, I just think Pens fans are spoiled, especially after making 2 Cup finals in a row.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:06 am

Sorry guys dropped the ball in the GDT tonight.

Was thinking about maybe next time i have a contest during the next game to give out 2 tickets to an upcoming game or something? Any ideas would be helpful
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dixonyy18 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:06 am

Henry Hank wrote:
dixonyy18 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
dixonyy18 wrote:This team is really in a no win situation with the fans. They are atop the eastern conference for almost half a year, lose a bad game to Philly (a rivalry game that is always fought tough, goes for every sport) or they win 3-4 in a row and then have a bad game and instantly are going no where. We are one of the cup contenders and are missing one of the best players in the game, anyone that says we're going no where because of a bad game is just ridiculous.

So you're saying it's just one game? :face:

They're not going anywhere because they give up too many goals. They'll have some regular season success playing Capitals hockey but they're going to get embarrassed in the playoffs again. The only thing that will change that if somehow they replace Bylsma or somehow Shero makes some miracle moves to find the magic mix of players. They're a mess of a team that can win by outscoring teams because few teams can typically keep up with their offense.

Exactly my point, ridiculous. They give up 2.5 goals a game, ranking 12. You mean this team can't score 3 goals? You must watch only the losses because when they win 3 or 4-1or 2 they look pretty good. But obviously they need to go undefeated to be a good team now.

They aren't 12th in GAA. They came into this one 13th, now are at least 15th. They were not bad in that department before the Philly game but they are unraveling. I am not giving them the benefit of the doubt. Since that debacle they had an ugly 5-3 win over Tampa and now an ugly 6-4 loss to Florida. They're falling right back into what killed them late last season.

I'm a fan that wants more than regular season success. One playoff series victory in the last three years isn't good enough. Don't care if they're still leading the division right now. They're fallen right back to where they were last spring against Philly. They've shown no ability to correct their problems 20 games into this season.

I said earlier in the thread, I don't even care that they lost to Florida. It's the way they're losing, or even winning. I didn't feel great about that win against Tampa. Until they show consistent ability to prevent goals, I have no faith in this team.
dixonyy18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens2005 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 am

When is the trade deadline?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:13 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I guarantee the owners expect a lot more than one measly playoff series victory over the last three seasons and potentially counting. Winning the Cup every year obviously isn't a realistic expectation but nobody should be satisfied with the way this roster has performed overall since they won the Cup. They spend to the cap every year with the expectation that they're going to get some healthy playoff revenue.

Really? There are 27 other teams who haven't won a Cup since we last did. Even then, only 8 teams make the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Sorry, I just think Pens fans are spoiled, especially after making 2 Cup finals in a row.

Pens fans may be spoiled, but you're just taking the other end of an extreme that you're creating. With the players the Pens have had, it's been a disappointment that they've had to settle for the 4/5 match-up on a regular basis, the sans Crosby/Malkin year excluded. It's been really disappointing that they've only managed to win one playoff series with those guys. If it happens again, which they seem to be headed towards, it's really not acceptable. When you have players like they have, you expect more than just making the playoffs.

The "it's just one game" crowd is unbelievable. It's been just one game since last March. Many of these issues have been present since 2009. I don't find this kind of hockey entertaining because I know it's not going to get them anywhere. So I vent. It really bums me out to see them still playing like this.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 am

CERV96 wrote:Sorry guys dropped the ball in the GDT tonight.

Was thinking about maybe next time i have a contest during the next game to give out 2 tickets to an upcoming game or something? Any ideas would be helpful

Ill take those tickets off your hands buddy. ;)
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:18 am

Mr. Colby wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

No one's saying it's not the players' fault... They're saying the players aren't being held accountable for their faults. Other than guys Bylsma doesn't like (Lovejoy, Tangradi, Jeffrey)

Then when does the onus fall on the players? It's been said before, Bylsma can preach and preach and he can sit guys in-game, but if Kris Letang decides to lose his head he seems to do on a weekly basis, when does it become Letang's fault for not holding himself accountable and not Bylsma's?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penmyst on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:30 am

Could really use one of those FHCMT pressers about now.. ;)
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:32 am

Clearly it was Letang's fault. But it apparently also was Bylsma's decision to have that unit out there for the entire two minutes. The fault is shared. Ultimately, when the players aren't performing it falls on the coach. It may not always be fair but he's there to keep the players organized, to give them structure, create strategies, etc. When the team is consistently making the same types of mistakes, I'm more inclined to ask why the coach isn't getting through to them.

Too much is being made of that goal anyway. Same with the terrible goal Vokoun gave up against Philly at the end. Yes those were the game winners but there was plenty that went wrong leading up to it. The problem tonight is that they gave Florida seven PP and gave up 4 PP goals. That's why they lost. It is troubling that they keep taking so many dumb penalties, particularly the pattern of putting themselves in these long 5-on-3s that have been automatic goals against. It is very troubling that the PK has been so bad since the playoffs. 78.8% this season now. I'd say they're missing Staal and Michalek but having those two didn't help in the playoffs. So there's another thing that has to fall on the coaching staff.

Shero and Bylsma need to find answers. They both should be on notice.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ad@m on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:34 am

pens2005 wrote:When is the trade deadline?

April 3rd
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:48 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:

Sorry you think it is.

I'm thinking the reason people get pissy every time the Pens lose one game is because they set their expectations too high. Is it that bad to question that?

I think people get pissy because of a combo - they way they lose and the fact their expectations are too high because they have Crosby and Malkin. We have a window to win and be a dynasty and to keep losing the same way and see very little don't to correct the lack of grit, depth or stay at home dmen in the draft or free agency sans Glass frustrates folks.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:

Not all great teams win a Cup. Not all teams that win a Cup are great teams. You can be a great team (like we have) and not win a Cup (and we have, within the last 4 years).

Not even sure how to address this one man. When you have the two best players in the world, a top 5 goal scorer, a top 5 dman, and a roster full of guys who have won a Cup, your expectations should ALWAYS be high. Why in the world wouldn't they be?

What are your expectations? For them just to make the playoffs then anything else is a bonus? That doesn't cut it for me and shouldn't cut it for anyone else.

No one is saying they expect the Pens to win the Cup every year. I personally was hoping to see improvements in goals against, PK, PP, goaltending, and discipline from last year. So far I've seen improvements in just two of those through 20 games. This team is still playing a far too agressive, wide open game. Especially with their dmen. And their discipline has been horrible in some games. It has directly cost them two games this year already that I can think about (Philly and Florida). Of course its on the players to be smart, but its also on the coach to have accountability out there when they are taking horrible penalties. I've seen none of that so far.

Bylsma can say all he wants that he doesn't want a wide open game and wants things tighter, but its all bs IMO. This team plays the same way game after game. He wants them to play this uber aggressive, long strech pass game. That's his system. And yes, as we have seen, that system will get us plenty of points and a ton of goals in the regular season. However, as we have also seen, it will get us nothing in the playoffs. And playoff results are all that should matter right now for Bylsma and Shero.

They lost to a much inferior Montreal team in the second round. They blew a 3-1 series lead to Tampa with two home games to finish the series in the first round. And they showcased probably the most embarssing series in Penguins history last year against the Flyers.

The Penguins should have won more Cups in the 90's than they did. They got soft and lazy after 1992. They should have had more. We are getting in that same territory right now with this team. One Cup win with this group isn't good enough.

If the Pens don't get to at least the Conference Finals than Bylsma needs to be fired. Screw the regular season. Just ask the LA Kings.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:53 am

Yes you are right. My 'pissiness" and angry after losses is more because Im looking ahead and its obvious a team that loses like this team is losing right now doesnt last long in the playoffs. Thats bascially all it is for me. I dont expect us to never lose, and we'lll make the playoffs, but its stuff you see in games like this, against BUTT teams, that scares you for the future
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins