Official GDT Pens vs FLA 2/26/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT Pens vs FLA 2/26/13

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:55 am

Screw the regular season. Just ask the LA Kings

And ask every team the Kings beat on their way to the Cup. Goes both ways.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 am

MRandall25 wrote:

Just get me enough points to get in and a system that works in the playoffs.

Dan Bylsma can win the Jack Adams every year and get us 110 regular season points every year. But we if are getting bounced early every playoffs and embassing ourselves than none of that matters to me.

Your mentality is that of a Washington Capital fan. That's your right I just don't understand it at all.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:04 am

MRandall25 wrote:

I just don't think it's unreasonable for the fans to expect a team that plays responsible, solid hockey. I watch a lot of hockey and there are teams with less talent that scratch and claw out victories, they skate and swarm, they cycle and play tough around their net.

Whether its Shero's fault for his drafting and FA pickups, HCDB's system and his request for these types of players only or the players just flying around like crazy it hasn't worked and won't work in the quest for a cup.

It's not unreasonable for fans to expect more the last 3 years, 20 games. Everyone kept saying the playoffs was some crazy fluke, now it's proven to have exposed us, fans can be mad that nothing was done to rectify the issues......and some can say moves were made that made us go backwards.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:47 am

OH YEAH GUYS! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SCREW THE REGULAR SEASON! THE PENS WILL JUST FLIP THE SWITCH COME PLAYOFF TIME!

Oh wait....

what a **** joke...

Vokoun is old. Kennedy needs to be unloaded. I miss Jordan Staal. DB is just straight dumb sometimes, he had no business not playing Despres. Crosby is a god damn give away machine.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 am

:thumbdown:

I do not like the character of this current team. That is all.

:thumbdown:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby iceolater on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:52 am

Orpik is horrible of late. We need defense at the trade deadline if we are to have a shot at the cup. Would like to see Kennedy packaged to get some help in that area. Think they should start the Orpik power ball instead of the Martin one.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:00 am

I wouldnt mind to see if we trade :
D : Orpik, Engelland, Eaton
F : Kennedy, Boychuk, Glass, Adams
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby rgj on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:52 am

dixonyy18 wrote:This team is really in a no win situation with the fans. They are atop the eastern conference for almost half a year, lose a bad game to Philly (a rivalry game that is always fought tough, goes for every sport) or they win 3-4 in a row and then have a bad game and instantly are going no where. We are one of the cup contenders and are missing one of the best players in the game, anyone that says we're going no where because of a bad game is just ridiculous.

What year are you referring to?
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rgj on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:03 am

Henry Hank wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I guarantee the owners expect a lot more than one measly playoff series victory over the last three seasons and potentially counting. Winning the Cup every year obviously isn't a realistic expectation but nobody should be satisfied with the way this roster has performed overall since they won the Cup. They spend to the cap every year with the expectation that they're going to get some healthy playoff revenue.

Really? There are 27 other teams who haven't won a Cup since we last did. Even then, only 8 teams make the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Sorry, I just think Pens fans are spoiled, especially after making 2 Cup finals in a row.

Pens fans may be spoiled, but you're just taking the other end of an extreme that you're creating. With the players the Pens have had, it's been a disappointment that they've had to settle for the 4/5 match-up on a regular basis, the sans Crosby/Malkin year excluded. It's been really disappointing that they've only managed to win one playoff series with those guys. If it happens again, which they seem to be headed towards, it's really not acceptable. When you have players like they have, you expect more than just making the playoffs.

The "it's just one game" crowd is unbelievable. It's been just one game since last March. Many of these issues have been present since 2009. I don't find this kind of hockey entertaining because I know it's not going to get them anywhere. So I vent. It really bums me out to see them still playing like this.

I highlighted the point I wish to make......that excuse has been exercised since March 2010 !!!
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 am

i guess the question is...is it really a systematic problem, or is there just a handful of guys who can't commit to playing the right way? and these guys are just so prominent that it makes it seem like the whole team is off the rails
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:16 pm

shmenguin wrote:i guess the question is...is it really a systematic problem, or is there just a handful of guys who can't commit to playing the right way? and these guys are just so prominent that it makes it seem like the whole team is off the rails

My opinion is that its systematic. The whole team seems to be wired in far too often on a wide open, all offensive game. That comes from the coaching staff IMO because it happens a lot.

Pens are a very good team and that style will get us a ton of points in the regular season. But that system and the Pens lack of discipline will crush them in the playoffs.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:25 pm

farnham16 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i guess the question is...is it really a systematic problem, or is there just a handful of guys who can't commit to playing the right way? and these guys are just so prominent that it makes it seem like the whole team is off the rails

My opinion is that its systematic. The whole team seems to be wired in far too often on a wide open, all offensive game. That comes from the coaching staff IMO because it happens a lot.

Pens are a very good team and that style will get us a ton of points in the regular season. But that system and the Pens lack of discipline will crush them in the playoffs.

In the playoffs it comes down to getting the puck in deep in the offensive zone, punishing the opposing defense and go to the dirty areas to score. The Pens have players who do that well, but they get caught too many times looking for the fancy play, that leads to odd man rushes against us. I doubt that HCDB system is preaching using low percentage high risk plays, but the leadership of the team from Sid and Geno on down have buy into playing that grinding style. They played that way in 2009, why not now?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:29 pm

They have shown signs of that grinding, get-the-puck-deep style (the Tampa game and parts of the Philly game) where they'll control the puck for a minute, minute and a half in the other team's zone.

The problem is that most of the lines are hit and miss on when they can accomplish this.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins