Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:43 pm

I have a friend that works in VFX. His FB profile pic is just a green square.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Anyone watch The Master?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Yeah, a little while back. Here's what I thought about it:

The Master was good, not great. I do like better it the more I think about it. I'm definitely a fan of the different themes throughout the movie -- there's a lot you can take out of it, though some of it you have to search for. Nothing is spoon fed to you, though I'm completely fine with that. I enjoy piecing together puzzle parts after a movie. Unlike others, I thought the ending was great, and tied the film together (thematically, at least) nicely.

Cinematography and the score were great. Performances were stellar, towering even -- great stuff from PSH and Phoenix. Where the film stumbles the most IMO is that the narrative as a whole is not executed as well as it could have been, which is obviously a pretty integral part of almost any movie, and the main culprit (at least to me) for its failure to achieve greatness.

---

Thoughts haven't really changed since then. It's definitely one I want to watch again when it comes out. Tough to get it completely under your thumb, but that's also why I thought it was one of the better movie-going experiences of last year.
Last edited by meecrofilm on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:55 pm

was it a downer? Got it in netflix today, I'm excited to see it mainly for the cinematography and performances, not my wifes cup of tea, going to be tough to convince her to watch tonight. If its completely depressing, thats not going to help.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:41 pm

No, not depressing or anything, not uplifting either. It just "is" hahah. I'm guessing she still won't like it though.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Speaking of Marisa Tomei, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is a good film. Great cast and Sidney Lumet's last film.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:40 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:I have a friend that works in VFX. His FB profile pic is just a green square.

Mine is now, as well about a dozen or so of my FB friends. Muy simpatico.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:16 pm

what is going on? ang lee purposely didnt than is visual guys?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:what is going on? ang lee purposely didnt than is visual guys?

I definitely wouldn't say purposefully, from what I remember, he looked pretty damn excited for them when they won their oscar. But just like real life, everyone needs someone to blame, especially if its not themselves
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Ang Lee and Claudio Miranda (DP) won Oscars this year in large part because of the direct contributions of an effects house that went bankrupt making their movie. It's been percolating below the surface in Hollywood for several years now, and has gained momentum with the Chapter 11 filings of Digital Domain and Rhythm & Hues.

It came to a head because on the night there was a 400+ person protest going on outside the theater, and when the Oscar winner from the studio got cut off right when he started talking about the financial problems.... it's not like the topic wasn't out there. It may not have been deliberate, but it definitely felt like a snub.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Are you talking about the speech being cutoff or lee not thanking the crew?

I wonder what all the "practical" fx people are saying about this?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:22 pm

I think the Lee quote "id like it to be cheaper and not a tough business" is whats helping pump this up.

To me it seems a bit unfair - hes being characterized as if he said he'd like it to cost less to do cgi. I don't read it that way. I think he was saying he wishes the overall cost structure and bidding process was better for effect houses.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:22 am

meecrofilm wrote:Yeah, a little while back. Here's what I thought about it:

The Master was good, not great. I do like better it the more I think about it. I'm definitely a fan of the different themes throughout the movie -- there's a lot you can take out of it, though some of it you have to search for. Nothing is spoon fed to you, though I'm completely fine with that. I enjoy piecing together puzzle parts after a movie. Unlike others, I thought the ending was great, and tied the film together (thematically, at least) nicely.

Cinematography and the score were great. Performances were stellar, towering even -- great stuff from PSH and Phoenix. Where the film stumbles the most IMO is that the narrative as a whole is not executed as well as it could have been, which is obviously a pretty integral part of almost any movie, and the main culprit (at least to me) for its failure to achieve greatness.

---

Thoughts haven't really changed since then. It's definitely one I want to watch again when it comes out. Tough to get it completely under your thumb, but that's also why I thought it was one of the better movie-going experiences of last year.

we watched The Master last night. I think everything you said was spot on. My wife and I both enjoyed it. joaquin phoenix is downright terrifying at times. Theres a lot going on here, but nothing really happens, a lot of crazy.

Spoiler:
I took away from it that Dodd was envious in a sense that Freddie had "achieved" what he was teaching way before they ever met, but Freddie "arrived" there through chaotic ways. They were opposites (instinct vs intellect), but the same. Freddie realized this (and that Dodd was full of BS) in Phoenix when they were presenting book 2. He left on the motorcycle and went to live his life, because he knew he was OK. Dodd thought himself and his teaching would be a failure without Freddie being in the same state, but influenced by the cause. My wife saw it similarly, but Dodd thought of Freddie as his pet and project and knew if he couldn't change this man being in the simplest form a human can be, then he was a failure.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 pm

eddysnake wrote:Are you talking about the speech being cutoff or lee not thanking the crew?

I wonder what all the "practical" fx people are saying about this?

Variety ran a good story today that sums it up nicely.

Oscars an ugly tipping point
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby knives of ice on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Just watched this about a month ago - UNDEFEATED - amazing documentary perhaps the best I've ever seen, won the oscar for best doc last year as well. Can't recommend this enough it's on Netflix now as well I believe.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:01 pm

i havent noticed anyone post about this.

not sure how i didnt read anything about this movie, but seeing this trailer was the highlight of seeing a good day to die hard.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:02 pm

seven psychopaths has 10 minutes of awesome surrounded by a pile of dog****
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Eismann on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:01 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Speaking of Marisa Tomei, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is a good film. Great cast and Sidney Lumet's last film.

Concur. PSH and Hawke were silly strong.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:56 am

Jay & Silent Bobs Super Groovy Cartoon movie going on tour video NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=la017NRDjyM
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:15 pm

my cousin and i both have very large movie collections. we were comparing stats last night and I found I have:

15 with Tom Cruise
13 Denzel Washington
12 Bruce Willis
12 Harrison Ford
11 Clint Eastwood
11 Tom Hanks
11 Arnold Schwarzenegger
11 Samuel L Jackson
Then after that Will Smith, Stallone, Mel Gibson

For directors

15 Steven Spielberg
9 Michael Bay
9 Tony Scott
9 Ridley Scott
9 Robert Zemeckis
7 Richard Donner

28 total films produced by Jerry Bruckheimer
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:16 pm

I don't know if I own a single movie with Bruce Willis in it. Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson are probably the highest two for me. Actually, maybe Wesley Snipes.

I have 21 Wesley Snipes movies.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't know if I own a single movie with Bruce Willis in it. Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson are probably the highest two for me. Actually, maybe Wesley Snipes.

If you don't own Die Hard then its not a real movie collection.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I don't know if I own a single movie with Bruce Willis in it. Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson are probably the highest two for me. Actually, maybe Wesley Snipes.

If you don't own Die Hard then its not a real movie collection.

Are we counting VHS? If we're counting VHS than my movie collection increases towards quadruple digits and My estimates of movies for certain people drastically inflate.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:29 pm

Four Die Hard movies, Armageddon, The Jackal, Striking Distance, Unbreakable, Looper, The Siege, Expendables, Expendables 2, Red, Beavis and Butthead do America

So wow I guess that's 14
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:32 pm

I want to know if anyone can beat my 21 Wesley Snipes movies...with any actor, not with Wesley Snipes. That would be crazy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR