Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby penny lane on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 am

Pick your favorite~ D Molinari and Rob Rossi articles on Jordan Staal.

"I think he looked at the big picture and saw [Malkin and Crosby] ahead of him and just wanted to play a bigger role, which he is," Orpik said.

"Once he got a taste of that with the injuries to [Crosby and Malkin the past two seasons], then you take it away from him and he's relegated back to the third line, I think maybe that was uncomfortable for him."


Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2MCiOM0S6

"It was never a slam-dunk (decision). Until that last day, I thought I was definitely going to stay."

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/355 ... z2MChr1vaF
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

I knew Jordan made the team first time I saw him at practice. The pens had no better defensive forward, besides Sidney. Wish him and family all the best. He's going to lose tonight though.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,741
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: juju land

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 am

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Brooks Orpik, on the trade that united Jordan Staal with his brother, Eric: "I think everybody was genuinely pretty happy for him."
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,221
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:51 am

I was genuinely happy that he was traded once I found out that he didn't want to stay.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,474
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:55 am

I remember that the trade was announced when practically the entire team was at his wedding
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,703
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby Rylan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:56 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I was genuinely happy that he was traded once I found out that he didn't want to stay.


Sums it up for me
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,847
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby jwest21 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:59 am

Rylan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I was genuinely happy that he was traded once I found out that he didn't want to stay.


Sums it up for me

ditto
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,893
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:07 am

I was at the draft and there was a big cheer when they announced there was a trade right before the CAR pick. Everyone knew it then. But I think it was more of a 'glad to get it over with' kind of cheer and also, myself included, happy we were making a move since everyone knew he didnt want to stay after he turned down that offer.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,670
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: ....WE'RE IN THE SUPERDOME BRUTHERS!

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:10 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:I was at the draft and there was a big cheer when they announced there was a trade right before the CAR pick. Everyone knew it then. But I think it was more of a 'glad to get it over with' kind of cheer and also, myself included, happy we were making a move since everyone knew he didnt want to stay after he turned down that offer.


There are still some grumblers about the move, but RS did the right thing....the dude didn't want to play in PGH.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,659
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:13 am

He wanted to be a first-second line center in the NHL and that wasn't going to happen here (assuming no injury every year). I have no problem with him not wanting to stay.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:15 am

columbia wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:I was at the draft and there was a big cheer when they announced there was a trade right before the CAR pick. Everyone knew it then. But I think it was more of a 'glad to get it over with' kind of cheer and also, myself included, happy we were making a move since everyone knew he didnt want to stay after he turned down that offer.


There are still some grumblers about the move, but RS did the right thing....the dude didn't want to play in PGH.


Thats true about the grumblers. I still know people *ahem* puck bunnies that are still mad at the penguins for "Getting rid of Talbot"
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,670
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: ....WE'RE IN THE SUPERDOME BRUTHERS!

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby Admin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:17 am

Not buying the "wanted to play on the same team as my brother" spin but hope he's enjoying being a #2 center on a .500 team.
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,703
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 am

Admin wrote:Not buying the "wanted to play on the same team as my brother" spin but hope he's enjoying being a #2 center on a .500 team.


Wait until they trade for Marc Staal.

Three's Company on a .500 team!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,186
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 am

My only regret is that Dan didnt give him more power play time. I mean, i understand that he would never be higher on the depth chart than 3rd center... but no reason at all that he did not get more time on the power play... who knows that may have been enough to keep him happy.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,680
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby jimjom on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:36 am

The hack Sam Kasan on the Pens site actually wrote an article about Staal and titled it "Staal Me Maybe." Unreal.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,775
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:38 am

Kovy27 wrote:
Admin wrote:Not buying the "wanted to play on the same team as my brother" spin but hope he's enjoying being a #2 center on a .500 team.


Wait until they trade for Marc Staal.

Three's Company on a .500 team!

Marc hits UFA in 3 seasons. Both his brothers will still be in Carolina then. I'm betting Marc joins them.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,052
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 am

jimjom wrote:The hack Sam Kasan on the Pens site actually wrote an article about Staal and titled it "Staal Me Maybe." Unreal.


I actually forgot about him. I dont even know what he looks like and I cannot stand that guy. At least it seemed like he's slowed down using the Pens twitter feed as his own personal handle.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,670
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: ....WE'RE IN THE SUPERDOME BRUTHERS!

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby TrueNorth on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 am

[quote="penny lane"]Pick your favorite~ D Molinari and Rob Rossi articles on Jordan Staal.

The thrust of Rossi’s article seems to be that Staal had every intention of signing a long-term contract with the Penguins, pretty much right up until the day of his wedding. In the article, Staal is quoted as saying, “I really just wanted to play out my contract in Pittsburgh and see what was going to happen.” I took that to mean he wanted to play in Pittsburgh this year, which would have been the final year of his contract, and not that he was intending to sign on for another 10 years. I think the writing was on the wall; it was just a question of when it was going to happen. I'm happy for him and hope he does well.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 am

I remember when we drafted him, a lot of people thought he would learn to play wing and be the power-forward for Crosby. Besides playing with Malkin during his rookie year, it just never happened. Too bad, because I think had he learned to play with Sid we wouldn't need to be day dreaming about a 35 year old Iggy or Pipe-Dream Perry, and he would be in a big role here. Oh well. Good luck to him and I hope he does well in the rest of his career.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,132
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:57 am

I think the fact that he almost immediately signed the exact same deal Shero offered him is proof he knew where he was heading from the get-go. Nothing wrong with that, but Staal doesnt get that luxury of playing out his contract in Pittsburgh then deciding. He forced Shero's hand.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,670
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: ....WE'RE IN THE SUPERDOME BRUTHERS!

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:59 am

Had Shero sat on it and left Staal play out his deal here, we would be constantly questioning which of Staal or Malkin do we keep. It would have been a major distraction more than it would have been nice to have that superior 'C' depth.

Aside from the fact Staal is still in the conference, it was an absolutely great deal for all involved (considering the circumstances). Sutter has filled the hole quite well and if the other 2 kids produce, it will be a steal.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,778
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Page 554 of the new CBA

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:00 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:I remember when we drafted him, a lot of people thought he would learn to play wing and be the power-forward for Crosby. Besides playing with Malkin during his rookie year, it just never happened. Too bad, because I think had he learned to play with Sid we wouldn't need to be day dreaming about a 35 year old Iggy or Pipe-Dream Perry, and he would be in a big role here. Oh well. Good luck to him and I hope he does well in the rest of his career.


It was never tried and he allegedly wanted to play center. Whatever.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,474
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby guiner on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Should have drafted Toews...
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,048
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Cobb Mountain, CA

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby CERV96 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:25 pm

guiner wrote:Should have drafted Toews...
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,520
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:Had Shero sat on it and left Staal play out his deal here, we would be constantly questioning which of Staal or Malkin do we keep. It would have been a major distraction more than it would have been nice to have that superior 'C' depth.

Aside from the fact Staal is still in the conference, it was an absolutely great deal for all involved (considering the circumstances). Sutter has filled the hole quite well and if the other 2 kids produce, it will be a steal.


Another big part of the deal which people seldom mention is that it gave the Pens cap space. If the Pens trade for a big-name winger before the trade deadline, that will be an additional benefit of the trade. More and more I think that locking Staal in to a long-term deal would have had the same disastrous ripple effects that locking in Hossa would have.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,716
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby brwi on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Admin wrote:Not buying the "wanted to play on the same team as my brother" spin but hope he's enjoying being a #2 center on a .500 team.


Yeah and now without linemate Jeff Skinner(concussion) on his wing and now playing with Dwyer and Bowman instead. Suddenly, 3rd line center in Pittsburgh probably looks a whole lot better because Dwyer and Bowman are marginal players at best and Tuomo Ruutu who would be on his RW is likely out for the year and this isn't Skinner's first concussion, unfortunately.

I think RS did the best deal he could and all parties were happy with the deal, and I've got no problem with J Staal.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,943
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Easy Pens Fan, Cedar Penn, darkstar57, joopen, MWW, Row_Z, Shakes, Sigwolf, TwoSheds and 34 guests

e-mail