Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jordan Staal day~ It's a family affair!

Postby slappybrown on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:14 pm

offsides wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
offsides wrote:I know I will get beat up for this, but I would rather have J Staal than Malkin. I think we could have a stronger more balanced team with Crosby and Staal as the top two centers. We could afford much better wingers and have a stronger team through all 4 lines.

Flame away.

Realistically, you are saving 2.7-3.5 mm max in Malkin v. Staal if you assume Malkin signs for 8.7-9.5 per. It's an additional 2nd/3rd line winger. or a 4/5 D-man.

With that savings and the cap space we now have, yes we could get a couple pretty good wingers. Geno just doesn't seem to play well when Sid is healthy and playing well, at least since the cup run.

That's wrong. Those savings would kick in after next season. If Staal was on the roster right now, we'd have 2mm less in cap room right now since Sutter and his 2mm wouldn't be here but Staal's 4mm would. we'd have 4mm less less starting next year in the last year of Malkin's deal, because Staal goes to 6mm and Sutter would still be at 2mm.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:16 pm

newarenanow wrote:Same major butthurt over Staal leaving in this thread.

No - not at all. I never thought he was that special of a player any ways.
I just don't understand why a professional athlete would want to play alongside his big brother instead of forging his own legacy.

In psychological circles that would typically be diagnosed as someone having "Emotional Detachment" issues.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:18 pm

marek wrote:

I just don't understand why a professional athlete would want to play alongside his big brother instead of forging his own legacy.

In psychological circles that would typically be diagnosed as someone having "Emotional Detachment" issues.

One could say Staal already forged his own legacy in 09. He has his Cup ring.

Who gives a ****? Let him do what he wants. Free will and all that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:20 pm

marek wrote:

I'd probably diagnose it as having a family member.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:29 pm

slappybrown wrote:
offsides wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
offsides wrote:I know I will get beat up for this, but I would rather have J Staal than Malkin. I think we could have a stronger more balanced team with Crosby and Staal as the top two centers. We could afford much better wingers and have a stronger team through all 4 lines.

Flame away.

Realistically, you are saving 2.7-3.5 mm max in Malkin v. Staal if you assume Malkin signs for 8.7-9.5 per. It's an additional 2nd/3rd line winger. or a 4/5 D-man.

With that savings and the cap space we now have, yes we could get a couple pretty good wingers. Geno just doesn't seem to play well when Sid is healthy and playing well, at least since the cup run.

That's wrong. Those savings would kick in after next season. If Staal was on the roster right now, we'd have 2mm less in cap room right now since Sutter and his 2mm wouldn't be here but Staal's 4mm would. we'd have 4mm less less starting next year in the last year of Malkin's deal, because Staal goes to 6mm and Sutter would still be at 2mm.

In my original post I said i would rather have Staal, which meant I would have rather seen Malkin moved then Staal.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
marek wrote:

:thumb: They both have played for and won championships.

They both have a limited number of years to play in the league. And its' not too often that brothers get to go through the league together. Some family members are pretty tight, and it is not that common to get an opportunity to play with your brother. I see absolutely no problem with it and wish him the best of luck.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby marek on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
marek wrote:

Yeah... I distinctly remember hearing Brandon Sutter whimpering about having to leave his cousin Brett at Carolina after the trade... LOL
Last edited by marek on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:37 pm

marek wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
marek wrote:

Yeah... I distinctly remember hearing Brandon Sutter whimpering about having to leave his cousin Brett at Carolina after the trade... LOL

You can't even compare the two. Not even close.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:53 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
marek wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
marek wrote:

You can't even compare the two. Not even close.

why not? family is family

but you're right... Brandon is a Sutter.
And they're from Alberta.
Not once did one of their clan ever voice the desire to want to play with one of their brothers over their team.
Maybe it's just an Ontario thing. LOL
Last edited by marek on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:56 pm

marek wrote:why not? family is family

Do you know for sure he was not upset about that? I remember reading that he was disappointed in being traded.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Yay, armchair psychology.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:00 pm

offsides wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
offsides wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Flame away.

In my original post I said i would rather have Staal, which meant I would have rather seen Malkin moved then Staal.

I don't even. I thought your original post expressed a preference for a team built around Sid/Staal rather than the Sid/Malkin, while cognizant of the fact that this was impossible because Staal refused to sign the same extension he would wind up signing a week later with CAR. In other words, a hypothetical world.

But if I understand, you wanted to trade the reigning Hart trophy winner this past offseason, despite the fact that Staal outright refused to sign an extension and Malkin was under contract for two more years?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Forget what will happen on the ice if you trade Malkin in favor of keeping Staal. You just can’t trade one of your best players (who’s also the reigning MVP and scoring champion) because you will never get a full return on your trade and you will have a fan base angry that you traded one of your best player. So matter how many picks, prospects NHL ready players you’ll get back, if won’t be enough to compensate the team for trading away Malkin because of the type of player he is and what he means to this franchise. No matter what type of spin you put in this, no one who’s a fan or even a member of the media will be satisfied with it and rightfully so.

On the ice, as much as I liked Jordan Staal, I would re-sign Geno over Staal in a heartbeat regardless of the price tag. Staal is very good on the 3rd line scoring goals, killing penalties and having a strong defense presence on the ice. Geno (along with Sid) is the guy you need to win cups simply because of his deadly finishing and his playmaking abilities. I’m not convinced that if you did what a few of you proposed and traded away Malkin and kept Staal that we would could win it all even if we added some grit and sandpaper at the deadline.

That being said I have no ill feeling towards Jordan for wanting to leave and I wish him well in Carolina. He was one of my favorite Pens and a thrill to watch on the ice.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:03 pm

newarenanow wrote:

Do you know for sure he was not upset about that? I remember reading that he was disappointed in being traded.

So now Sutter wants out of Pittsburgh? :pop:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Sorry fellas... but I just don't get the whole "family" thing... maybe it's a midwest thing.
I don't need to or want to live anywhere near my siblings, and I surely wouldn't prefer to play under my older brother's shadow.
I grew up doing that, and it was much more fun and COMPETITIVE playing on my own teams.
I had my chance to play with him in college but instead I moved 4000 miles away.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:15 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

No he really really really wants his BFF cousin Brett to come to Pittsburgh too!!!!! :fist:
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:19 pm

marek wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

No he really really really wants his BFF cousin Brett to come to Pittsburgh too!!!!! :fist:

To be realistic, I go months and months without speaking with my cousins, i lived with my brother for 12 years of my life.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:13 pm

slappybrown wrote:

I don't even. I thought your original post expressed a preference for a team built around Sid/Staal rather than the Sid/Malkin, while cognizant of the fact that this was impossible because Staal refused to sign the same extension he would wind up signing a week later with CAR. In other words, a hypothetical world.

But if I understand, you wanted to trade the reigning Hart trophy winner this past offseason, despite the fact that Staal outright refused to sign an extension and Malkin was under contract for two more years?

Yeah, that is pretty much it. I think Staal would have stayed if he got a slight raise and a second line center spot. I know it goes against most folks, but I think it would make for an overall stronger team allowing us to get better wingers. This is just my opinion based on nothing but watching the games.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:18 pm

marek wrote:Sorry fellas... but I just don't get the whole "family" thing... maybe it's a midwest thing.
I don't need to or want to live anywhere near my siblings, and I surely wouldn't prefer to play under my older brother's shadow.
I grew up doing that, and it was much more fun and COMPETITIVE playing on my own teams.
I had my chance to play with him in college but instead I moved 4000 miles away.

staal's priority list for his next contract:

1) get paid
2) get better minutes with better players
3) play with his brother

#1 is something he could have gotten from a number of teams. #2 is something that he could never have gotten from pittsburgh. so with that said, how relevant is #3 as far as we're concerned.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 am

shmenguin wrote:
marek wrote:Sorry fellas... but I just don't get the whole "family" thing... maybe it's a midwest thing.

staal's priority list for his next contract:

1) get paid
2) get better minutes with better players
3) play with his brother

#1 is something he could have gotten from a number of teams. #2 is something that he could never have gotten from pittsburgh. so with that said, how relevant is #3 as far as we're concerned.

And I don't get why Carolina is totally written off as a team that will never compete for a championship, and the Pens are written in as one that will compete every year.

Within the past decade, the Canes have won 1 cup, played for another, and made it to the conference final as recently as 4 seasons ago.

IN that decade, the Pens have won a Cup and played for another one.

Maybe the Canes valleys are lower than the Pens right now, but the franchise has shown that they can be competitve and win championships.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:03 am

This thread is full of stupid
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins