Despres.......

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Despres.......

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 am

Gaucho wrote:
netwolf wrote:Yeah, I know there's no way outside of injury that Despres-Bortuzzo will both play.

Do you think they should? Just curious. I mean, there is no way we should be playing with two of Engo/Despres/Bort in playoff games. Or am I totally off here?

Injuries will happen. They may end up having to both play in a playoff game anyway. Wouldn't you want them to get as much playing experience if possible, then, especially if they've shown they deserve it?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby owtahear on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:16 am

The Pens need to be careful. While they have alot of depth, especially with 6th-7th defenseman types, getting rid of the Lovejoy's, Straight's, and Bortuzzo's is not going to yield return. Return will be yielded by trading one of their higher end prospects, so they don't want to gut the lower end guys then all of a sudden have few "depth" defensemen. I think obviously one of Despres, Matta, Morrow or Pouillot will have to be moved at the deadline this year.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:27 am

Gaucho wrote:
netwolf wrote:Yeah, I know there's no way outside of injury that Despres-Bortuzzo will both play.

Do you think they should? Just curious. I mean, there is no way we should be playing with two of Engo/Despres/Bort in playoff games. Or am I totally off here?

If you won't play them now to get the rookie mistakes out of their systems then I guess you can't throw them in the playoffs together. That's why they both need to be playing right now so you can make that call by the trade deadline.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:27 am

owtahear wrote:I think obviously one of Despres, Matta, Morrow or Pouillot will have to be moved at the deadline this year.

waitwut?

for what purpose? getting a rental that we can't afford to re-sign?

you only trade these guys if there's a james neal offer in return: a young forward with upside and a value contract. i don't think they grow on trees, so i don't expect any of these guys to be traded.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dietz on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Gaucho wrote:

yes your totally off unless you sit #5 and #41
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 pm

dietz wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

yes your totally off unless you sit #5 and #41

ummm... what?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Defense pairs at the morning skate same as they were for Tuesday's game. Moronic.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:08 pm

I didn't realize that the general public knows the specifics behind Depres not playing. I feel I need to be enlightened.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:00 pm

DelPen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

If you won't play them now to get the rookie mistakes out of their systems then I guess you can't throw them in the playoffs together. That's why they both need to be playing right now so you can make that call by the trade deadline.

This is what I was getting at. You play Despres-Bortuzzo now, so that when the playoffs get here, they're better prepared. Rookies won't adjust to NHL play by only playing half the time. Get them both in the game for at least 10 minutes a night. If you don't think they're going to be ready by the deadline, then see what you can find in the way of veteran safety net d-men.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:15 pm

netwolf wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

This is what I was getting at. You play Despres-Bortuzzo now, so that when the playoffs get here, they're better prepared. Rookies won't adjust to NHL play by only playing half the time. Get them both in the game for at least 10 minutes a night. If you don't think they're going to be ready by the deadline, then see what you can find in the way of veteran safety net d-men.

I'm sure Despres would rather, right now, be getting his NHL paycheck and not playing than playing 20+ a night in WBS getting his AHL check. I just don't like him not playing when at worst he's clearly the 5th best guy on the team and often 3rd best when other players have putrid games.

He forces Letang to be honest when paired with him and I'd love to see Nisky and Bortuzzo together. Engellend is fine but we know what we have there.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Rylan wrote:I didn't realize that the general public knows the specifics behind Depres not playing. I feel I need to be enlightened.

yeah, sometimes these things happen for other reasons than on-ice performance...i think. like vitale should NEVER be scratched just based on the quality of his play. so i'll be optimistic and say that the couple times he was taken out of the lineup was because the team doesn't want him to burn out.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:30 pm

DelPen wrote:
netwolf wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I'm sure Despres would rather, right now, be getting his NHL paycheck and not playing than playing 20+ a night in WBS getting his AHL check. I just don't like him not playing when at worst he's clearly the 5th best guy on the team and often 3rd best when other players have putrid games.

He forces Letang to be honest when paired with him and I'd love to see Nisky and Bortuzzo together. Engellend is fine but we know what we have there.

Despres has played 3/4 of the games, Bortuzzo 1/2. Imo, if DB really was so opposed to playing rookies, they'd simply send one of them (Bortuzzo) down. I'm fine with how they handle this, even though I don't like Despres being scratched either.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Sending Bortuzzo down is not an option as he will get claimed off waivers. Despres and Bennett are the only guys who are exempt.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:37 pm

DelPen wrote:Sending Bortuzzo down is not an option as he will get claimed off waivers. Despres and Bennett are the only guys who are exempt.

Right, I forgot about that.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:40 pm

DelPen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

This x1000. Basically this early part of the season is an extended training camp anyway. The rookies and young guys need to be given an extended look right now (I think they're doing a good job with Beau Bennett). I like Engelland, but he does not need to get a jersey every single game. They certainly don't need to rush Letang or Nisky back from injuries.

Despres and Bortuzzo need to play as much as possible right now, to see if they can handle not only the load of a condensed NHL schedule, but the pacing of the league. The other guys (Engelland, Eaton, Niskanen, etc) are known commodities. Maybe the young guys could step in and surprise. Maybe not. But the way it looks now we'll never know.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Would anyone else just "feel" better if Bylsma at least said Despres has played 33 games between WBS and Pittsburgh and has had some injuries? Bortuzzo is also at 38 while the next highest on defense is I guess Engellend at 35 adding in the 15 he played in Norway.

If that really is the reason, to make sure Despres doesn't get over worked, I'd buy it but the only thing we have ever heard Bylsma say was Despres wasn't a good match against a physical team like the Flyers which is a load of crap.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Why would you let other teams know that he was being overworked?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:01 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Why would you let other teams know that he was being overworked?

What difference would it make either way? Its at least better than saying outright he's scratched because we are playing a physical team which puts a big hit me sign on him.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:03 pm

DelPen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Why would you let other teams know that he was being overworked?

What difference would it make either way? Its at least better than saying outright he's scratched because we are playing a physical team which puts a big hit me sign on him.

But why does it matter? Why does Bylsma need to tell us why players are being scratched?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:24 pm

A guy like Despres needs to be playing a lot right now. He's going through his development. Sitting hurts his development IMO. If Bylsma doesn't want to play him, then send him to WBS and let him play down there. I don't think he should be down in WBS but Bylsma obviously doesn't like playing him every night, and it does no good having him sitting on his ass up in the press box.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:28 pm

For comparison's sake, Kris Letang only played in 63 games his 2nd season in the NHL. That's ~ 76% of the 82 game season.

Despres has played 15 (so far), which is 75% of the season so far.

So, tell me how sitting "hurts a player's development". He's right on par with the guy he has been compared to.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:34 pm

MRandall25 wrote:For comparison's sake, Kris Letang only played in 63 games his 2nd season in the NHL. That's ~ 76% of the 82 game season.

Despres has played 15 (so far), which is 75% of the season so far.

So, tell me how sitting "hurts a player's development". He's right on par with the guy he has been compared to.

The team just brough in Mark Eaton. You think Despres playing time is going to stay the same now? Doubt it. Just wait a little while longer and you'll see Eaton in there with Engo and Bortuzzo and Despres in the presser.

Its just my opinion that sitting a player like Despres hurts his developement. I didn't say it ruins it. Just slows it down really.

And the Penguins have been awful at developing their young players under Shero and Bylsma. That can't be argued.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:39 pm

What young players have they failed at developing?

You mean to tell me the team in a win-now mode is less likely to play younger guys over veterans?

Color me shocked.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 pm

MRandall25 wrote:What young players have they failed at developing?

You mean to tell me the team in a win-now mode is less likely to play younger guys over veterans?

Color me shocked.

This is a serious question? The Penguins have been awful for years now at developing their own players. The Pens have to keep resigning guys like Craig Adams, Matt Cooke, and Tyler Kennedy because they can't draft or develope players.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 pm

Engelland is ahead of Despres and Bortuzzo on the depth chart, not Eaton.
His acquisition will likely have no effect on their playing time.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins