UFA targets at the Trade Deadline?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: UFA targets at the Trade Deadline?

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 pm

At this point, I'd think of moving letang.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:19 pm

Kovy27 wrote:At this point, I'd think of moving letang.

Letang for Perry. Do it RS :pop: .
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:07 pm

pcm wrote:
If you want a character winger who is tough and can score, then you gotta sacrifice a guy like Neal--assuming Geno is as untouchable as Sid.

What? Or we could just trade a 2nd to Dallas for Morrow, or one of our top prospects and a 1st for Iginla.

You're over-thinking it.

I think it's going to take more than that to get Iginla. Even if he could be had for that, it's a move that doesn't address the main needs of the Pens. Pens need grit and toughness up front, but don't need scoring, therefore let's put that prospect + pick toward a better dman than could otherwise be obtained.

I'm not suggesting the Pens would need to trade Neal for Iginla. But if they're going to add a scoring winger with toughness who has something left in the tank, they're going to need to draw from the top to avoid becoming even more unbalanced.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:35 am

Trading NEAL!!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: Take some pills guys..

Trade Orpik,Letang,Kunitz,Kennedy,MAF- yes MAF I dont care,but you do not trade a legit sniper like Neal,which we were looking for a few seasons..

lets talk crazy and we deal
Kennedy, Orpik and Letang for Pominville,Ott and Regehr..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:50 am

Glad I'm not the only one annoyed with his play. My girlfriend thinks I hate the dude, but he has some serious decision-making issues. Not the kind of player I want making top dollar, in any case. With the players in the system, I'd either trade Letang before letting him walk because someone (Hint - bleu, blanc et rouge) is going to throw $7-8 million at him.

The funny thing is for every 10 boneheaded plays he makes every game (the ill-timed pinches, ridiculously unnecessary passes, turnovers, playing with the puck at the blue line, etc), he'll make you doubt your eyes because there will be one play that leaves you spellbound. I remember Fleury saying when he was breaking into the League, he would purposefully put himself in bad positions so he could make the ten-bell save. It feels like Letang just loves the perfect play too much to be a consistently great player.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:17 am

wondermoose wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one annoyed with his play. My girlfriend thinks I hate the dude, but he has some serious decision-making issues. Not the kind of player I want making top dollar, in any case. With the players in the system, I'd either trade Letang before letting him walk because someone (Hint - bleu, blanc et rouge) is going to throw $7-8 million at him.

The funny thing is for every 10 boneheaded plays he makes every game (the ill-timed pinches, ridiculously unnecessary passes, turnovers, playing with the puck at the blue line, etc), he'll make you doubt your eyes because there will be one play that leaves you spellbound. I remember Fleury saying when he was breaking into the League, he would purposefully put himself in bad positions so he could make the ten-bell save. It feels like Letang just loves the perfect play too much to be a consistently great player.

I agree with the statements above, also I think if we are looking for that "winger", he would bring in the most value. I'm also not convinced that we don't need a stay at home D.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malksby8771 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:38 am

Kovy27 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:

I agree with the statements above, also I think if we are looking for that "winger", he would bring in the most value. I'm also not convinced that we don't need a stay at home D.

Letang for Perry and Fowler would be just about the only deal I'd support. He still has immense value despite his sloppy play so far. Heck, he probably is a Norris candidate so far if you can believe that.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WHITEY1 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:58 am

Can we trade Bylsma to Montreal for MT back? MT showing he can do more with less. Some change needs to happen fast even if it is a minor deal to wake everyone up. After every loss this year it seems as though our star (sid) is talking to the media say we are not prepared, or we were lazy, or we took too many of the same penalties by the same players AGAIN, ect....all is a reflection on the coach. I am starting to think maybe Bylsma doesnt have the players anymore or the system is now outdated already. We are also one of the soffest teams going. Maybe we need to trade in Shero he seems to keep making us smaller and weaker to this point (boychuk-eaton). Philly was strugglling they made a change we just sit there and hope that we can "play our game". Our "game" will not win another Cup, I hope I eat my words but we are not built for the playoffs. Oh and Tanner Glass is horrible.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:14 am

malksby8771 wrote:
Letang for Perry and Fowler would be just about the only deal I'd support. He still has immense value despite his sloppy play so far. Heck, he probably is a Norris candidate so far if you can believe that.

Letang isn't worth those 2 players. It'd probably be Letang, Dupuis, Bennett, and a 1st for those guys and I still don't think the Ducks would even consider it.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:45 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:

Letang isn't worth those 2 players. It'd probably be Letang, Dupuis, Bennett, and a 1st for those guys and I still don't think the Ducks would even consider it.

lololol get out of here Pavel, you're drunk.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:49 am

slappybrown wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:

Perry's a UFA at the end of the year. Yeah, they won't ask for that much. Letang for Perry is pretty even. If we want Fowler, it would have to be Roster Player and Pick.

Anaheim isn't going to trade Fowler.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:49 am

slappybrown wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:

I wish.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:58 am

Kovy27 wrote: Letang for Perry is pretty even.

in what sense? i don't think a player like letang has ever been traded for a rental. that's way, way too big of a price.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 am

Fowler is untouchable.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:11 am

mikey287 wrote:Fowler is untouchable.

Yeah.

We are looking more towards someone like Hainsey, Smid...
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:12 am

I wasn't advocating trading Neal.

There's no way Letang for Fowler and Perry is happening. Keep dreaming.

Maybe the Pens don't turn the puck over so often because they suck and/or are lazy/stupid/personally unprepared. Unfortunately, because they are turning the puck over so often, their role players don't look good and aren't worth much to trade ATM.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Letang, but he needs to be reined in, something the coaching staff has been unable to do. It would be a mistake to trade him.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:14 am

Desiato wrote:There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Letang

eeeeeeehhh, don't know about that. i mean, there's a ton fundamentally "right" about the guy. but his lack of discipline seems to be part of his core.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:19 am

shmenguin wrote:

eeeeeeehhh, don't know about that. i mean, there's a ton fundamentally "right" about the guy. but his lack of discipline seems to be part of his core.

Half the team has a problem with discipline. Look to the young coach, not the young players.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:21 am

I disagree with this for one reason. The same thing is said about Letang from other markets.

Every article/blog that comes out lists Letang in the top 5 of Norris contenders. Although we get to see Letang play everyday, a lot of other teams get the hype, and scouts can't be at every game. If they were, I doubt we'd have Kunitz, Neal, and Niskanen in exchange for Whitney and Goligoski.

When someone who is even mentioned in the Norris talk is potentially available, other teams will listen.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:22 am

Desiato wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Half the team has a problem with discipline. Look to the young coach, not the young players.

this phenomenon propelled him ahead of the rest of the pack...
Spoiler:
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:22 am

Desiato wrote:I wasn't advocating trading Neal.

There's no way Letang for Fowler and Perry is happening. Keep dreaming.

Maybe the Pens don't turn the puck over so often because they suck and/or are lazy/stupid/personally unprepared. Unfortunately, because they are turning the puck over so often, their role players don't look good and aren't worth much to trade ATM.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Letang, but he needs to be reined in, something the coaching staff has been unable to do. It would be a mistake to trade him.

Rein him in? I'd argue that its the coaching staff that has him being so aggressive.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:25 am

Word is with the "loss" on O'Reilly, Calgary may put Iginla on the market soon.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:48 am

npv708 wrote:

I disagree with this for one reason. The same thing is said about Letang from other markets.

Every article/blog that comes out lists Letang in the top 5 of Norris contenders. Although we get to see Letang play everyday, a lot of other teams get the hype, and scouts can't be at every game. If they were, I doubt we'd have Kunitz, Neal, and Niskanen in exchange for Whitney and Goligoski.

When someone who is even mentioned in the Norris talk is potentially available, other teams will listen.

The Ducks aren't a rich team, this is a homegrown talent of theirs, still on his entry level deal, already locked up to a long term deal for way cheaper than what Letang is going to get, they already have another offensive RHS d-man that love on the way, I'm not sure if there's a team that could be any less interested in Letang than the Ducks...they have their 21 year old, #1 d-man locked up on the cheap until 2018...they would trade him for pending FA Letang in any circumstance? That's really, really, really unlikely...

Spoiler:
really.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:52 am

mikey...

what's up with the shattenkirk rumors? Is he actually available?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:53 am

I just want Kunitz back with Neal and Malkin, that line was the bomb. We need a winger for Sid who can take Kunitz spot. Clark McAuthur would be a decient (not perfect) option.

But of course the defensive corps could use an upgrade as well.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins