UFA targets at the Trade Deadline?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: UFA targets at the Trade Deadline?

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Kovy27 wrote:mikey...

what's up with the shattenkirk rumors? Is he actually available?

Nah, at least not that I'm aware of. He's been the Blues best d-man this year, without question. He's paired with Barrett Jackman and he's been allowed to the rush the puck like he does so well. He was essentially exchanged for a first overall pick (Erik Johnson trade) a year or two ago, so I seriously doubt the Blues are interested in re-opening that aspect of the trade again. Just doesn't make sense.

If anyone is available that people think is a part of their "core" it's David Perron. Especially with what they see on the way in Tarasenko and Schwartz, both oozing with offensive sorcery...my understanding, and don't take this to the bank, is that Perron is being quietly shopped...for what, I'm not sure, I'd assume a big time center. Getzlaf? *shrug*
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:06 pm

mikey287 wrote:
npv708 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Fowler is untouchable.

I disagree with this for one reason. The same thing is said about Letang from other markets.

Every article/blog that comes out lists Letang in the top 5 of Norris contenders. Although we get to see Letang play everyday, a lot of other teams get the hype, and scouts can't be at every game. If they were, I doubt we'd have Kunitz, Neal, and Niskanen in exchange for Whitney and Goligoski.

When someone who is even mentioned in the Norris talk is potentially available, other teams will listen.

The Ducks aren't a rich team, this is a homegrown talent of theirs, still on his entry level deal, already locked up to a long term deal for way cheaper than what Letang is going to get, they already have another offensive RHS d-man that love on the way, I'm not sure if there's a team that could be any less interested in Letang than the Ducks...they have their 21 year old, #1 d-man locked up on the cheap until 2018...they would trade him for pending FA Letang in any circumstance? That's really, really, really unlikely...

Spoiler:
really.

First off, I'm by no means advocating trading Letang and definitey do not believe a straight Letang/Fowler swap is an option. I never said that.

Secondly, Letang is locked up for this year and next year, ie, not a pending FA. Unless you mean a pending FA after this season, which is still kind of a strange way to refer to it, but anyways...

I didn't qualify it as likely to happen, I was just saying that the Ducks will probably at least listen to offers for Fowler if it involved a potential Norris candidate, what team wouldn't?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:29 pm

no name wrote:I just want Kunitz back with Neal and Malkin, that line was the bomb. We need a winger for Sid who can take Kunitz spot. Clark McAuthur would be a decient (not perfect) option.

But of course the defensive corps could use an upgrade as well.

Why would TML trade him? They are more likely buyers anyways.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:43 pm

npv708 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
npv708 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Fowler is untouchable.

I disagree with this for one reason. The same thing is said about Letang from other markets.

Every article/blog that comes out lists Letang in the top 5 of Norris contenders. Although we get to see Letang play everyday, a lot of other teams get the hype, and scouts can't be at every game. If they were, I doubt we'd have Kunitz, Neal, and Niskanen in exchange for Whitney and Goligoski.

When someone who is even mentioned in the Norris talk is potentially available, other teams will listen.

The Ducks aren't a rich team, this is a homegrown talent of theirs, still on his entry level deal, already locked up to a long term deal for way cheaper than what Letang is going to get, they already have another offensive RHS d-man that love on the way, I'm not sure if there's a team that could be any less interested in Letang than the Ducks...they have their 21 year old, #1 d-man locked up on the cheap until 2018...they would trade him for pending FA Letang in any circumstance? That's really, really, really unlikely...

Spoiler:
really.

First off, I'm by no means advocating trading Letang and definitey do not believe a straight Letang/Fowler swap is an option. I never said that.

Secondly, Letang is locked up for this year and next year, ie, not a pending FA. Unless you mean a pending FA after this season, which is still kind of a strange way to refer to it, but anyways...

I didn't qualify it as likely to happen, I was just saying that the Ducks will probably at least listen to offers for Fowler if it involved a potential Norris candidate, what team wouldn't?

- I don't recall saying that you advocated anything. I was speaking on behalf of the Ducks. Nothing more.

- I assume that we wouldn't trade our #1 d-man just before going on a Stanley Cup run. And the Ducks, who are a bit cash-strapped, wouldn't trade one of their top d-men while he's still on his entry-level...so I assumed the deal was happening in the offseason, that's why I assumed that Letang's pending UFA status would be a hindrance to the Ducks giving up their #1 guy who is locked up until 2018.

- The Ducks would absolutely not listen to anything remotely reasonable that involved Letang for Fowler. Unless they really think Fowler will have long term issues with that concussion...but even so, you still don't entertain this idea...not in Anaheim's situation...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:50 pm

I want Neal off Crosby's line, Kunitz Crosby and DUpuis is as good as it gets.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Letang for Yakupov and Smid.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:24 pm

slappybrown wrote:
no name wrote:I just want Kunitz back with Neal and Malkin, that line was the bomb. We need a winger for Sid who can take Kunitz spot. Clark McAuthur would be a decient (not perfect) option.

He is a UFA at season end and he hasn't signed a deal yet. I would feel they might be willing to deal him instead of losing him for nothing.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:27 pm

mikey287 wrote:

Nah, at least not that I'm aware of. He's been the Blues best d-man this year, without question. He's paired with Barrett Jackman and he's been allowed to the rush the puck like he does so well. He was essentially exchanged for a first overall pick (Erik Johnson trade) a year or two ago, so I seriously doubt the Blues are interested in re-opening that aspect of the trade again. Just doesn't make sense.

If anyone is available that people think is a part of their "core" it's David Perron. Especially with what they see on the way in Tarasenko and Schwartz, both oozing with offensive sorcery...my understanding, and don't take this to the bank, is that Perron is being quietly shopped...for what, I'm not sure, I'd assume a big time center. Getzlaf? *shrug*

Stewart was rumored to be on the block in St.Louis, i doubt he is anymore dude is ripping it up this season.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:03 pm

no name wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

He is a UFA at season end and he hasn't signed a deal yet. I would feel they might be willing to deal him instead of losing him for nothing.

Teams in the playoff hunt don't sell -- even if they have players they may lose for nothing. In fact, teams in the playoff hunt regularly trade to acquire impending free agents they know they'll lose. I don't necessarily expect Toronto to stay competitive, but as long as they are, the only trades they'll make are to add rentals or to acquire a player for another player. They won't be selling.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:07 pm

no name wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

Stewart was rumored to be on the block in St.Louis, i doubt he is anymore dude is ripping it up this season.

I was on Stewart's train for a low cost guy that might be worth a look. The more educated posters did say that might not be a good idea because he's known to have a poor work ethic.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Stewart is the type that you want to trade while his value is high if you're St. Louis. Internally, they know they have a flake (barring some sort of brain surgery that I'm unaware of)...now you can make a hockey trade with him and get some R on your I. They could stand to lose one or both of Stewart and Perron and not miss a beat really...they could sure up that third pairing they have there at the very least. Or get Pietroangelo the perfect partner. Or get the premier first line center they haven't had. They literally can make two moves and be a juggernaut if they play their cards right.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:17 pm

mikey287 wrote:Stewart is the type that you want to trade while his value is high if you're St. Louis. Internally, they know they have a flake (barring some sort of brain surgery that I'm unaware of)...now you can make a hockey trade with him and get some R on your I. They could stand to lose one or both of Stewart and Perron and not miss a beat really...they could sure up that third pairing they have there at the very least. Or get Pietroangelo the perfect partner. Or get the premier first line center they haven't had. They literally can make two moves and be a juggernaut if they play their cards right.

If Halak could stay healthy, they have another one with Brian Elliott. They could move one of those guys and get a really good return, as well. I said the same thing about the Kings, and they won the cup. If the Kings make a move to get another stud D...they will be a force.

Letang for Kopitar, Brown, and Jack Johnson? :P
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Stewart is the type that you want to trade while his value is high if you're St. Louis. Internally, they know they have a flake (barring some sort of brain surgery that I'm unaware of)...now you can make a hockey trade with him and get some R on your I. They could stand to lose one or both of Stewart and Perron and not miss a beat really...they could sure up that third pairing they have there at the very least. Or get Pietroangelo the perfect partner. Or get the premier first line center they haven't had. They literally can make two moves and be a juggernaut if they play their cards right.

If Halak could stay healthy, they have another one with Brian Elliott. They could move one of those guys and get a really good return, as well. I said the same thing about the Kings, and they won the cup. If the Kings make a move to get another stud D...they will be a force.

Letang for Kopitar, Brown, and Jack Johnson? :P

I think the Halak-Elliot duo is too big a part of their success to deal either. They need the fallback for when the other gets cold.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Goaltending

Elliott is below average I think...it's a shame they missed the boat on moving him, but it's tough when you have the all-time best goalie ever*...plus the goalie market is flooded. Does a 3rd round pick really help them any? Probably not...Jake Allen is probably better now than Elliott, so they can dump him whenever they get around to it, probably this offseason. Halak is very good and Allen looks to be about ready to go...

Letang for Kopitar, Brown and JMFJ? Pass. I'd rather just trade Letang to the Kings and get Malkin back...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:30 pm

mikey287 wrote:Re: Goaltending

Elliott is below average I think...it's a shame they missed the boat on moving him, but it's tough when you have the all-time best goalie ever*...plus the goalie market is flooded. Does a 3rd round pick really help them any? Probably not...Jake Allen is probably better now than Elliott, so they can dump him whenever they get around to it, probably this offseason. Halak is very good and Allen looks to be about ready to go...

Letang for Kopitar, Brown and JMFJ? Pass. I'd rather just trade Letang to the Kings and get Malkin back...

I think they should attempt to move Elliott. Of course, what team really needs a goalie now (Philly). I think Jake Allen will be the real deal when he gets to that level.

JMFJ and CFA. I think the CEC would explode.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Plus, if people think Letang is a wanderer and a bit of a "free spirit" out there...I can't imagine what they'd think of JMFJ...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:38 pm

mikey287 wrote:Plus, if people think Letang is a wanderer and a bit of a "free spirit" out there...I can't imagine what they'd think of JMFJ...

Someone in one of these threads said he sucks, worst player in the league. I do believe.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Eh, some people like the softer Jason Mraz...though I think he's for girls...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:46 pm

LOL. You win the day.

Give me Ron Hainsey and a winger, lets call it a Cup.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:24 pm

Crush_Me wrote:Hi there fellow Pens fans,

I do not post very often here so bare with me on this one.

I have been trying to assess the most pressing needs for this team (top-six winger, depth defenseman, a new backup?) and with the recent signing of free agent Eaton, I believe the most pressing need is a top six winger, as is pretty obvious from the lack of scoring on the second line aside from Malkin and Neal (before the injury to Malkin).

Here's a list of potentially available pending UFA wingers (with current season stats) from teams currently out of playoff contention (bottom 4 of each conference) if they were to start this week:

Alex Kovalev - RW
Season Stats
GP G A Pts +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG TOI S PtsPG
YTD 14 2 3 5 -1 6 1 0 1 15:40 21 0.36
On Pace 43 6 9 15 -3 18 3 0 3 15:40 65 0.35

This might be the worst idea ever in the history of ever. I would rather have TK chest-snipe a goalie 3x a game, shoot pucks out of play, and/or make bad passes than see Kovy in a Pens' sweater for the 3rd time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/518/gamelog

Hasn't scored a goal in a month, has one assist in his last 13 games, has all but disappeared when he is on the ice, and has recently been a healthy scratch for the Panthers. Simply put, there is no benefit to trading for him....not even a conditional 7th (similar to what was sent to Ottawa for Kovy last's appearance in Pittsburgh.)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:33 pm

Mark Streit, Derek Roy, Mike Riberio, Mark Fistric, Stephen Weiss.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:38 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Mark Streit, Derek Roy, Mike Riberio, Mark Fistric, Stephen Weiss.

I believe Streit just signed an extension.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:47 pm

JS© wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Mark Streit, Derek Roy, Mike Riberio, Mark Fistric, Stephen Weiss.

No he didnt
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:24 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
JS© wrote:

No he didnt

That's the former Pen Streit..... :D
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Yeah, I was on the buy low Stewart train last season. Big guys with hands and questionable work ethics become more effective as they mature. Oh well.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins