2013 MLB Predictions Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 MLB Predictions Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:40 pm

tfrizz wrote:
MWB wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Too many variables w the jays. Do not want.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. A ton of strikeouts, as TL said, and also quite a few guys who haven't proven themselves to be consistently good. Also some health question marks. If Dickey, Morrow, and Cabrera can approach last year's success, and Johnson, Morrow, and Reyes can stay healthy, and Lawrie can continue to progress, they could be very good. That's a lot of very big "ifs" though.

They looked like a wildcard contender last year until Morrow, Bautista, and Lawrie got hurt. I can't see them not making playoffs with these changes, but it's a whole different beast beyond that.

I'm somewhat confident that the Ray's rotation is going to be dominant and the offense competent enough for them to finish about the Jays. It's really down to what happens with the yankees. They let a lot of offense walk in the offseason and of course lost rodriguez and granderson to injury. I just think they're built to beat up on meagre pitching all regular season, and then flop in the playoffs again.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:35 pm

The Yankees' offense could be in quite a bit of trouble. Jeter will be worse. The OF of Granderson/Rivera, Gardner, and Ichiro won't be as productive as Granderson, Ichiro and Swisher last year. Big downgrade at catcher. I thing Youkilis will be able to keep things about the same as last year at 3B, but there's still a lot of gaps there. Pitching should be okay.

I think the AL East will end up with all 5 teams winning between 80 and 92 games. Every team has fairly sizable weaknesses. The Jays probably have the highest upside, but they have a lot of risk. Should be interesting.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Morrow seems to have consistency issues, I don't think Buerhle and Dickey take well to moving to the AL east, and Josh Johnson is a bit of a variable as well. There could be a ton of upside in the Johnson/Dickey top of the rotation, but I just don't see them as sure things.

Morrow was putting a good season together last year and got hurt. If he's healthy, I think he's gonna be real good for them. I'm counting on it actually and added him to my fantasy team.

Yup, health is the big thing for him. His numbers have all trended in the right direction for the past three seasons.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:48 pm

MWB wrote:The Yankees' offense could be in quite a bit of trouble. Jeter will be worse. The OF of Granderson/Rivera, Gardner, and Ichiro won't be as productive as Granderson, Ichiro and Swisher last year. Big downgrade at catcher. I thing Youkilis will be able to keep things about the same as last year at 3B, but there's still a lot of gaps there. Pitching should be okay.

I think the AL East will end up with all 5 teams winning between 80 and 92 games. Every team has fairly sizable weaknesses. The Jays probably have the highest upside, but they have a lot of risk. Should be interesting.

I feel like Chavez and Ilbanez did really well for them last year with limited roles. I really don't think Hafner is the answer to replace them, especially Ilbanez. They're going to need Teixera to be all world again...but even with that, who's going to be their everyday 9 till Granderson gets back?

Teixera, Cano, Jeter, youklis, (catcher who i've never heard of), Gardiner, Ichiro, Rivera (?), Hafner
?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Yes, that's their 9, with Chris Stewart and Cervelli catching (neither can hit). Tex won't be all anything. He is now basically a .250/.340/.490 guy.

Jeter
Ichiro
Cano
Tex
Youkilis
Hafner
Rivera
Stewart
Gardiner

Not fearsome.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:06 pm

that lineup reminds me of a classic washington redskins in the daniel snyder era lineup. fearsome...five years ago.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to NHR