rossi discusses trading 58

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

rossi discusses trading 58

Postby jwit on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Before anybody goes ballistic, he had no source. He merely raised the subject with savran on the radio. He truthfully stated that Rey Shero's history suggest his bigger splash deals have always been moving young d men (well thought of) on the rise, right before their next big deal is due (whitney, gogo). They were moved for multiple assets. The only such d man on the roster is 58. He made some sense. They may not be able to double his salary next year and a canadian team wouldn't mind overpaying for him. He theorized that you could get a stay at home d, of lesser value of course and a rugged wing/grinder and a prospect for 58. History does not lie, what he stated about the past was true, but if shero does it he has huge balls. I like 58, he is a physical marvel, but he's either not getting guidance here, or he's not that smart. His play is not what i'd call cerebral. Still tough to trade that much raw ability.
jwit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: rossi discusses trading 58

Postby pcm on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 pm

If a man speaks in a forest and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:43 pm

Hope he doesn't really believe letang is comparable to Whitney and Goligoski.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:43 pm

Letang for Ladislav Smid+Eberle
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby farnham16 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:46 pm

I love Letang most of the time. But the kid has zero composure at this point. Teams are starting to key on him every game and hit him because they know he has a short fuse and will meltdown eventually. He needs to stop with that garbage or he'll never become what he can become.

I'd consider it depending on the return, but it would have to be significant.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:50 pm

farnham16 wrote:I love Letang most of the time. But the kid has zero composure at this point. Teams are starting to key on him every game and hit him because they know he has a short fuse and will meltdown eventually. He needs to stop with that garbage or he'll never become what he can become.

I'd consider it depending on the return, but it would have to be significant.

Smid type player + serviceable winger = cup
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:55 pm

He got that from us on this board.

What a clown.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:03 pm

who the hell is smid
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Kaizer wrote:who the hell is smid

ladislav smid
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Kaizer wrote:who the hell is smid

Ladislav Smid Edmonton D man
Young Anton Volchenkov lite

Warrior
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Godric wrote:Letang for Ladislav Smid+Eberle

I said Smid and Yakupov in the other thread. You stealing my ideas bro?!?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 pm

I would trade him for a physical top 4 defenseman and a winger. This team is too easy to play against
Last edited by MarioLives on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jcgopens on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 pm

jwit wrote:Before anybody goes ballistic, he had no source. He merely raised the subject with savran on the radio. He truthfully stated that Rey Shero's history suggest his bigger splash deals have always been moving young d men (well thought of) on the rise, right before their next big deal is due (whitney, gogo). They were moved for multiple assets. The only such d man on the roster is 58. He made some sense. They may not be able to double his salary next year and a canadian team wouldn't mind overpaying for him. He theorized that you could get a stay at home d, of lesser value of course and a rugged wing/grinder and a prospect for 58. History does not lie, what he stated about the past was true, but if shero does it he has huge balls. I like 58, he is a physical marvel, but he's either not getting guidance here, or he's not that smart. His play is not what i'd call cerebral. Still tough to trade that much raw ability.

I heard this, typical Rossi trying to create drama. One thing, Whitney already signed a six year deal. i'm not sure about Gog's contract, but I don't think he was ever considered to be on the same level as Letang. Apparently Rosi forgot about the article we wrote a little over a month ago where Shero stated that signing Malkin and Letang are his priority signings this summer. Mark Madden discussed it on his show and thought it was plain stupid, he asked Dan Potash and Dan said he could not imagine it. Potash said he envisions Letang playing out his career as a Penguin.
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 pm

If Shero can hit a similar home run like the Whitney and Gologoski deals - trade away RS. Trade away
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Several things...

1.) Yeah, it seems clear Rossi was trolling LGP for material.

2.) I really didn't think this would happen, but I can actually see a reasonable case being made for moving Letang. He has all the skill in the world, but his decision-making is often mind-bogglingly bad and doesn't seem to be improving with experience. With guys like Keith, Boyle, and Karlsson having cap hits from $5.5 million to $6.5 million, I can easily see Letang wanting around $6 million. The Pens might not have room for that or feel it prudent to spend that much on Letang.

3.) I don't see how Letang gets traded during this season. For better or worse, he's too big a component of this Pens' team to replace mid-season. The Pens really lose something in the transition when he is injured, which they wouldn't replace in a trade (because if they were trading for someone does the same thing as Letang, why trade him?). With all the prospects in the system, the Pens might be able to find internal options to replace at least some of what Letang brings to the transition game for next season. I could see Shero opening contract discussions with Letang this summer, and if it became apparent he couldn't afford him, moving him then (like Staal).
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Letang >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Whitney & Gogo combined, so it would have to be a really amazing deal.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:57 pm

MarioLives wrote:I would trade him for a physical top 4 defenseman and a winger. This team is too easy to play against

Enter Smid and Eberle
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Smid, Eberle, and 2nd for Letang and 4th. DO IT ROB ROSSI!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penmyst on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:13 pm

You don't give up on a player with Letang's talent. Unless and until you feel you cannot sign the guy for the amount he'd want. We aren't at that point.

Who replaces Letang?

And how would Pens fans feel if Letang goes on to another 10 or 15 years in the league, putting up top-tier numbers?

This team isn't so choc-full of talent that they can toss a Letang away, or trade him to get a significant (and vital) return.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Godric wrote:Letang for Ladislav Smid+Eberle

I said Smid and Yakupov in the other thread. You stealing my ideas bro?!?

Rossi will steal this. LOL
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:23 pm

what is letang's real value if he isn't the PP qb we thought he was? like is he still worth the likely $6mil/year it will probably take to resign him? not saying this is even remotely a good idea to trade him, but it's not something totally dismissable, either
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:23 pm

First of all, the Oilers aren't moving Eberle...let's be for real...

Secondly, so, our defense is bad and now we remove the #1 guy? Actively want to replace him with a defensive #2/#3 AND want to win a Stanley Cup WHILE complaining about how many d-men we draft...

Bold strategy, Cotton...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:29 pm

I think moving Letang makes sense. He's going to command a lot of money. a lot. If you can get Crosby's wing (Yakupov/Eberle/Ryan/etc.) and a nice defensive d-man, it would be difficult to say no. He is a Norris guy, but our strength is on our defensive depth. Comparatively, Letang brings in a better return relative to his value than any of our defensive prospects right now.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Letang may not be a great PP QB, but that doesn't mean he's worthless on the PP, and yes, probably every team in the league would gladly pay him $6 million a year for his services.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:34 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:I think moving Letang makes sense. He's going to command a lot of money. a lot. If you can get Crosby's wing (Yakupov/Eberle/Ryan/etc.) and a nice defensive d-man, it would be difficult to say no. He is a Norris guy, but our strength is on our defensive depth. Comparatively, Letang brings in a better return relative to his value than any of our defensive prospects right now.

So when do you trade him? At the deadline or after this season?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins