rossi discusses trading 58

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: rossi discusses trading 58

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:44 pm

pens_CT wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:I think moving Letang makes sense. He's going to command a lot of money. a lot. If you can get Crosby's wing (Yakupov/Eberle/Ryan/etc.) and a nice defensive d-man, it would be difficult to say no. He is a Norris guy, but our strength is on our defensive depth. Comparatively, Letang brings in a better return relative to his value than any of our defensive prospects right now.

So when do you trade him? At the deadline or after this season?

I don't think it's necessary to treat Letang like a time bomb, someone you actively try to shop around until you find a suitor, nor do I think Shero will play his hand like that. I just think Letang is not, and should not be, untouchable. There are only two players on this team with that title. I'm not concerned about when the deal is made. If he were to be traded, the Penguins couldn't possibly be less prepared for the playoffs this year without Letang than we were last year with him.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Package Letang to get a top six forward and a stay at home D man...only way it may be viable
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:I think moving Letang makes sense. He's going to command a lot of money. a lot. If you can get Crosby's wing (Yakupov/Eberle/Ryan/etc.) and a nice defensive d-man, it would be difficult to say no. He is a Norris guy, but our strength is on our defensive depth. Comparatively, Letang brings in a better return relative to his value than any of our defensive prospects right now.

I don't think it's necessary to treat Letang like a time bomb, someone you actively try to shop around until you find a suitor, nor do I think Shero will play his hand like that. I just think Letang is not, and should not be, untouchable. There are only two players on this team with that title. I'm not concerned about when the deal is made. If he were to be traded, the Penguins couldn't possibly be less prepared for the playoffs this year without Letang than we were last year with him.

The point being if you trade him now, you are basically giving up on this season. They may not win it with him this year, but you send the wrong signal by moving him now without a reasonable replacement.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Let's trade Letang for Hudler and Wideman, then package both of them with our 1st and 3rd picks plus Maata and Bennett for Yandle and Korpikoski.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Ok if you are the Pens GM do you lable Letang as untouchable. He seems like a member of the core and he is an admazing talent. But like a few other posters pointed out he could bring in quite a return. He doesn't show composure at vital times when you need him to. If he doesn't have Sid and Geno around his productivity goes down.

I would think GMs around the league would grow weary of trading for offensive Defencemen from Shero, he has made a few steals in thoes trades. Shero also has a nack of getting thoes "throw in" players in trades who pan out. Nisky and Duper come to mind.

But to hand over the No. 1 power play dman to Martin is way to early he is playing great now but not ready to say he will never lapse. Despres is a god power play guy hell Nisky can fill in nicely when needed. None of thoes guys can do what Tanger can.

That is a tough one. I am not a fan of havng to many offensive dmen, but he is one admazing talent.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:05 pm

To answer the question in the first line, knowing what I know right this second, I don't entertain the thought of trading him.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:11 pm

mikey287 wrote:To answer the question in the first line, knowing what I know right this second, I don't entertain the thought of trading him.

So if Letang asks for 6 million + per season in his next contract, do you think he is worth it based on his play to date?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:14 pm

pens_CT wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

The point being if you trade him now, you are basically giving up on this season. They may not win it with him this year, but you send the wrong signal by moving him now without a reasonable replacement.

The wrong signal? Is there a good signal for this team? There have been times where you think, they need a wake up call. Letang is a part of the core, and he is an all star no doubt. The core is replaceable. It's difficult to imagine but some teams get along just fine without a world class talent, let alone three or four. I think even without Letang, a defense with Martin, Orpik, Bortuzzo, Niskanen, and Despres on it is still pretty damn good, and that's without anybody coming back the other way. I fail to see how they would be giving up on the season with a trade made specifically to make the team better, which is the only way Shero does anything like this.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Martin, Orpik, Bortuzzo, Niskanen, Despres and [mystery player] in the playoffs? Sounds like fun.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:27 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

A defense with Martin, Orpik, Bortuzzo, Niskanen, and Despres on it is still pretty damn good, and that's without anybody coming back the other way.

Bortuzzo and Despres are NHL rookies, I'm not expecting them to lead this team through the playoffs, you only hope they don't screw up too badly. Niskanen is a bottom pairing guy nothing more. I see Orpik as being on the downside of his career. Martin has been a pleasent surprise. I assume if you move Letang its for a forward, any d-man coming back is probably at Niskanen clone at best. I don't see how moving Letang helps you this season it might be a good move for down the road.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Being that the Islanders will lose Streit anyways, you need to find it worth their while to feel like a package deal with him is giving them a way out. Okposo having a horrific season and he seems to be a young player that could benefit fom a change. So you trade Letang and Kennedy for Streit, Okposo and Hamonic as a throw in....then you get Alfie at the deadline.

Kunitz Crosby Alfredsson/Dupuis
Okposo.Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Dupuis/Alfie
Jeffrey Vitale Adams

Orpik Martin
Niskanen. Streit
Hamonic. Engellend

Roll 7 defensemen in playoffs with Bortuzzo, Despres, Bennett and Glass in the wings for support...play Alfie at the point on he pp with Martin, Neal, Crosby and Malkin down low

Geesh that looks more stupid than I thought....i need to stop doing this crazy stuff
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Eric Majeski ‏@LGP_netwolf
Since we're talking Letang, I heard him interviewed by Madden last week. When asked about staying, he immediately said that's what he wants. I know he's not going to say he wants out, but Madden barely finished the Q before 58 gave a very clear, definite answer. Take it FWIW.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:49 pm

It would have to hurt the other team so much, that they would put the phone down before calling RS.

No thanks...he's a keeper.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:53 pm

pens_CT wrote:
mikey287 wrote:To answer the question in the first line, knowing what I know right this second, I don't entertain the thought of trading him.

So if Letang asks for 6 million + per season in his next contract, do you think he is worth it based on his play to date?

I think Eric Karlsson proves that if Letang was going to be a Norris-caliber guy, he has a shot despite age or experience. He may always be in the 'next 10' of the top offensive blue-liners. That's probably worth 6 million... I'm not sure its worth it here, and probably not with the pipeline of talent we have.

Teams tend to move guys like Letang instead of paying them. They also tend to pay these guys then have a hard time moving them... Brian Campbell, Dustin Byflugien... even Alex Goligoski is making more than Tanger right now, and Mike Green is a good example of a guy that was signed for $6 million and regressed.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Bioshock on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:56 pm

To even entertain the idea of trading Letang.... Man.... glad Shero doesn't think like LGP's.

Guess that's why he's the GM.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:57 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I think Eric Karlsson proves that if Letang was going to be a Norris-caliber guy, he has a shot despite age or experience. He may always be in the 'next 10' of the top offensive blue-liners. That's probably worth 6 million... I'm not sure its worth it here, and probably not with the pipeline of talent we have.

Teams tend to move guys like Letang instead of paying them. They also tend to pay these guys then have a hard time moving them... Brian Campbell, Dustin Byflugien... even Alex Goligoski is making more than Tanger right now, and Mike Green is a good example of a guy that was signed for $6 million and regressed.

The only one of those guys as complete as Letang is Campbell, and he's a lot older.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelershark on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 am

letang is a very good hockey player. His worth as a trade asset is higher this summer,but if the return on him is of his value you would be foolish not to evaluate. the pipeline is full, and is going to happen. Malkin is more important to this team than Letang. Despree has shown good hockey sense, yes his penalties per game is high, but with more ice time will get better. Morrow, Domulin, HARRINGTON, Bort, all have regular good quality minutes in the nhl. Letang is the chip to get a high end scorer and quality defensive defensemen this year to make the run.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bathgate on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:11 am

Letang for PK Subban?

Both players have great talent but both have issues. Letang does not always play smart, cannot hit the net with his shots, and seems not to help the power play. Subban is so brash and arrogant that he turns off teammates, management, and fans alike.

The Canadiens would love to acquire a French star. The Pens need a good black player who can engage the local black community so as to increase the fan base and TV ratings.

If I’m not mistaken, both players’ contracts expire after next season. Subban is two years younger.

Would either team make the deal? More importantly, would both teams be willing to make the deal?
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:13 am

no no no no no... and isn't pittsburgh the whitest city in america?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:19 am

pens_CT wrote:

Oh, most certainly. I'm not sure what that + is. But if it's in that realm, I'm up for it. That said, I'm not the type to let 10 far-from-poor games over rule multiple seasons of excellent play...so if you're (not you specifically) looking for a National Enquirer headline, I'm not gonna provide it...I don't really believe in that type of management style...too EA Sports-y...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:28 am

pronovost19 wrote:Being that the Islanders will lose Streit anyways, you need to find it worth their while to feel like a package deal with him is giving them a way out. Okposo having a horrific season and he seems to be a young player that could benefit fom a change. So you trade Letang and Kennedy for Streit, Okposo and Hamonic as a throw in....then you get Alfie at the deadline.

Kunitz Crosby Alfredsson/Dupuis
Okposo.Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Dupuis/Alfie
Jeffrey Vitale Adams

Orpik Martin
Niskanen. Streit
Hamonic. Engellend

Roll 7 defensemen in playoffs with Bortuzzo, Despres, Bennett and Glass in the wings for support...play Alfie at the point on he pp with Martin, Neal, Crosby and Malkin down low

Geesh that looks more stupid than I thought....i need to stop doing this crazy stuff

Alfie is washed up and is determined to retire in ottawa
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wondermoose on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:01 am

Froggy wrote:no no no no no... and isn't pittsburgh the whitest city in america?

You should see Salt Lake City :lol:
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:03 am

mikey287 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Oh, most certainly. I'm not sure what that + is. But if it's in that realm, I'm up for it. That said, I'm not the type to let 10 far-from-poor games over rule multiple seasons of excellent play...so if you're (not you specifically) looking for a National Enquirer headline, I'm not gonna provide it...I don't really believe in that type of management style...too EA Sports-y...

The problem is Letang isn't going to ask for $6 million; he's going to be offered $7-8 million and he ain't worth that.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jcgopens on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:17 am

mikey287 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I agree and between Rossi and Dejan, the Trib has turned into the National Enquirer.
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby smoothmoneyb on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:37 am

If a few of our defensive prospects were just a year or two further along, I'd almost say trading Letang was a no brainer. The problem, as others have said, is that we're not going to get someone in return who can replace what Kris does this year and it will hurt our chances for right now. Even so, I'd seriously consider it for the right offer. Letang is a big name around the league, and could very well help us get the missing pieces we need (a legitimate top six winger.. basically another kunitz type, and a true top 4 physical stay at home d-man). This might actually require us giving up picks in the trade as well. Letang is one of the few players we have who's 'name' and trade value actually supercedes his talent. He's a great defenseman, excellent skater and has all of the tools but as others have stated, he's just too inconsistent sometimes. He'll do something amazing, like he did on that pass on Dupuis's goal a couple of weeks ago, then he'll completely disappear for games at a time. His name is often thrown around as being a noris candidate, but honestly, I don't see it happening. He's just never had a full season playing at an elite level without completely dropping of the map eventually. Maybe he'll put one together eventually, but who knows. I haven't been overly impressed with his play this year, and I think that 6 mil + could probably be better spent elsewhere. Right now, if Martin keeps up his play, he honestly has a better chance at winning the noris than letang, and I'm dead serious. I never would've expected the dramatic turn around we've seen from him this year. And over the next few years we'll have other prospects who can come in and at least partially replace what Kris does. Yet we won't have the other pieces that we've been lacking for some time. So to me, given the right offer, it makes sense..
Last edited by smoothmoneyb on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins