UFA targets at the Trade Deadline?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: UFA targets at the Trade Deadline?

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:24 pm

That's a pretty sweeping generalization on both sides...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pronovost19 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:04 pm

I like Alfie for two reasons....he is a veteran respected guy....and he can play the point on the power play
pronovost19
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:44 pm

The Sens have a better record than us. Why would try trade a key cog for prospects and picks?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm look more at the teams that are out of the playoff race, or who will be out of it shortly. Buffalo. Ott and Regehr would be two gritty veteran leaders who would add a lot to this team.

I'm sure there is a lot of competition for both, but the Pens have decent tradeable assets....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saints11 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Kennedy, Bortuzzo, and a 3rd to Dallas for Robidas and Morrow

Engelland or Jeffrey and a 5th to Douglas Murray (UFA to be)

We add 3 playoff vets, 2 on D. Robidas is 35 but would be an excellent mentor to FC's Letang and Despres, if he is still around. Morrow is a vet presence, like Billy G and Roberts, still can play top 6 minutes. A little slower but could still play with Geno and ex-mate Neal.

Murray has the size and can clear the crease, as a UFA, he might be a rental or someone until Dumoulin or Harrington might be ready.

Martin and Orpik
Letang and Robidas
Niskanen/Despres and Murray
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:22 pm

It's not unreasonable in terms of value and all three are players that are on the move...I think it's the best pair of trade proposals in terms of fair value I've ever seen on this board...bravo.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:22 pm

If you want a winger for Sid who you could likely sign to a reasonable contract extension give me David Perron. Sick hands, good shot..I'd like to see what he could do with a premier center. He would do absolutely nothing to address the lack of grit and the over abundance of 'too fancy' on this team, but I think he could finish with regularity on a line with 87.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Although I think some of the options from Dallas might fit with the Pens decently, does anyone think that Nieuwendyk might be a little hesitant to make any deals with Shero after the Gogo for Neal/Nisky trade?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:29 pm

npv708 wrote:Although I think some of the options from Dallas might fit with the Pens decently, does anyone think that Nieuwendyk might be a little hesitant to make any deals with Shero after the Gogo for Neal/Nisky trade?

Good question. On one hand, you could argue that it's Nieuwendyk's fault he got the lesser end...but, on the other, is there really any "fault"? Who really knows how some trades end of being winners and losers for certain teams?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Follow up question.. Do you really think Neal is a 40 goal scorer if he's not with Malkin? Does Nisky turn it around and be as solid as he has been without the 'change of scenery' ?
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:07 pm

JS© wrote:
Crush_Me wrote:Hi there fellow Pens fans,

I do not post very often here so bare with me on this one.

I have been trying to assess the most pressing needs for this team (top-six winger, depth defenseman, a new backup?) and with the recent signing of free agent Eaton, I believe the most pressing need is a top six winger, as is pretty obvious from the lack of scoring on the second line aside from Malkin and Neal (before the injury to Malkin).

Here's a list of potentially available pending UFA wingers (with current season stats) from teams currently out of playoff contention (bottom 4 of each conference) if they were to start this week:

Alex Kovalev - RW
Season Stats
GP G A Pts +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG TOI S PtsPG
YTD 14 2 3 5 -1 6 1 0 1 15:40 21 0.36
On Pace 43 6 9 15 -3 18 3 0 3 15:40 65 0.35

This might be the worst idea ever in the history of ever. I would rather have TK chest-snipe a goalie 3x a game, shoot pucks out of play, and/or make bad passes than see Kovy in a Pens' sweater for the 3rd time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/518/gamelog

Hasn't scored a goal in a month, has one assist in his last 13 games, has all but disappeared when he is on the ice, and has recently been a healthy scratch for the Panthers. Simply put, there is no benefit to trading for him....not even a conditional 7th (similar to what was sent to Ottawa for Kovy last's appearance in Pittsburgh.)

"chest-snipe" is one of the best things I have read on this board in a while. :thumb:
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:20 pm

I wouldnt trade much for Iggy. You can sign him in off-season. Use your assets now for a two way 3rd liner that everyone hates to play vs. And a nasty azz d-man.
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins