3/1/13 Penguins v. Canadiens- Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 3/1/13 Penguins v. Canadiens- Official Game Thread

Postby pens#1 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:41 pm

DB should be upset with his performance and not the teams, he gets out coached 7 out 10 games and 4 out 5 In "big games".
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 pm

Eismann wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
farnham16 wrote:They cannot do anything in the postseason playing like this.

Don't disagree, but the issues tonight were not the same as in the previous two. The game tonight, in the midst of a winning streak, would have been epic. The team was in a losing streak, but instead of this breaking the streak - people act like they lost again.

You don't have to be ready for the playoffs right now. You have to win games and position yourself. In a full season, nobody would be overly concerned with being 2nd in the conference after 20 games.

They need to get it together, but remember that last year's team had a long winning streak during which they played outstanding, dominant hockey. They also survived without Sid. They then fell apart in the Playoffs in front of horrific goaltending.

Now many on here want to say this team is the same. It is not. It is not playoff ready, but it is at the top of the conference and beat a team that was also there and playing very well. They beat a team that seems to be what the posters here want us to be.

I agree, but even right now, they can't beat NJ or PHI and until they look like the machine they were at one time, I don't like their playoff chances.

That said, they've played several super-sound games already, so they're capable.

Hope this is just a lull.

Lulz.

They also frustrated Philly in their home opener this year and they humiliated the Devils in one of those super-sound games. They are both good teams. Losing to them is not a disgrace.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 pm

The Pens played hard for 60 minutes. Good energy and hustle. That effort wasnt there vs FLA or CAR.

In general I really don't think effort is the problem. They have their lapses but every team will over a season. I don't think getting spanked by the Flyers had anything to do with effort. They just have absolutely no idea how to avoid these debacles once they get into this whirlwind. Philly put them back in it last week. Bylsma and Shero need to find answers other than it is the goalie's fault.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 pm

Imagine our d and game plan against Chicago
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:44 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Eismann wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Don't disagree, but the issues tonight were not the same as in the previous two. The game tonight, in the midst of a winning streak, would have been epic. The team was in a losing streak, but instead of this breaking the streak - people act like they lost again.

You don't have to be ready for the playoffs right now. You have to win games and position yourself. In a full season, nobody would be overly concerned with being 2nd in the conference after 20 games.

They need to get it together, but remember that last year's team had a long winning streak during which they played outstanding, dominant hockey. They also survived without Sid. They then fell apart in the Playoffs in front of horrific goaltending.

Now many on here want to say this team is the same. It is not. It is not playoff ready, but it is at the top of the conference and beat a team that was also there and playing very well. They beat a team that seems to be what the posters here want us to be.

I agree, but even right now, they can't beat NJ or PHI and until they look like the machine they were at one time, I don't like their playoff chances.

That said, they've played several super-sound games already, so they're capable.

Hope this is just a lull.

Lulz.

They also frustrated Philly in their home opener this year and they humiliated the Devils in one of those super-sound games. They are both good teams. Losing to them is not a disgrace.

It's not, but the ways it's happen in the most recent history have highlighted the Pens' weaknesses vs. those specific teams. NJ still out-systems them and PHI gets in their heads, forechecks them to death and wears them down.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:44 pm

pens#1 wrote:Imagine our d and game plan against Chicago

But there's no way we can get to the Finals?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:45 pm

pens#1 wrote:Imagine our d and game plan against Chicago

And there we have it...

The only thing that would make most people on here happy, not having any losses.

Then again, they would be complaining about the 3 losses in OT/Shootout.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:47 pm

They were in a bad stretch where their play left a lot to be desired. I'm happy they won. Gonna watch Vancouver/LA now.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The U on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Bylsma isn't going anywhere in a short season. Continuing to bring it up every night is a waste of energy. I think the roster is flawed, I put more blame in Shero than DB (although he is worthy if a decent amount of criticism).

Bylsma's job will be on the line the day the postseason starts. Poor showing and he's gone. Good/deep run and he stays.

He's got a roster with absolutely no size or toughness. A defense with no teeth. 2 lines that bring absolutely nothing to the table due to roster assembly. Pour $13 million dollars more into this roster and cut some of the dead weight and things will turn around.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Henry Hank wrote:2.91 GAA, now tied #19 in the league. Tampa, Philly, and Toronto on deck. How loooooooowwwww will they goooooooo

But hey, they're almost in the lead for most goals per game!

Pittsburgh Capitals.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:55 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Switches will be flipped. I don't buy it. This team has too many of the same issues for me to feel confident about it's chances for a playoff run.

So now we're back to the switch again? There are more games left than we have played. That is not to say that the team doesn't need to focus on playing better team D, but it wins a lot for a bad team.

I'm not the one saying they'll get it together and play well. How? How does this magic happen?

Do the coaches change it? What have they done so far?

Do the players change it? They don't seem to be able to stop the constant mental lapses.

Each of the last two seasons we've heard this is a great team and when the playoffs start they'll remember how to play. If that's not saying they'll flip a switch what is?

They're where they are because of a talented core of players but they lack grit and discipline. It's hurt them in strings during the season and in the opening rounds of the playoffs. No reason to think they'll turn it on this year without some sort of shake up. So yes, we're back to switches - it's who this team is.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Since I'm not just a negative guy, there are some things going on I like.

Good to see Cooke and Sutter providing some secondary scoring. I really don't think the lineup is that unbalanced. Dupuis and those two and giving them pretty solid stuff behind Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Kunitz at the top. They have to get Malkin/Neal going at ES, sure.

And good for Beau Bennett contributing. Nothing amazing but he's giving them some additional scoring depth. See, this is the difference between a real talent and a bum like Tangradi. Bennett isn't being flooded with opportunities. But when he does, he's doing something with it. They put him on a 5-on-3 and he comes through big. Another PP point tonight. He's been tough on the puck too even though he isn't gifted with the size that Tangradi is wasting. Bennett makes the need for more scoring even less of a pressing issue.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:00 pm

pcm wrote:Dey act like dey-pray. But dey don't pray.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:07 pm

Kunitz with the Orpik quote tonight: "We have to be better around our net and helping our goalies out. We just can’t give up so many goals."

No, you really can't. But you will. 12 of the next 15 come against top ten offenses. That kind of highlights how bad it is where the Pens sit in GAA right now. They have mostly been avoiding the really tough scoring teams.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:12 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Kunitz with the Orpik quote tonight: "We have to be better around our net and helping our goalies out. We just can’t give up so many goals."

No, you really can't. But you will. 12 of the next 15 come against top ten offenses. That kind of highlights how bad it is where the Pens sit in GAA right now. They have mostly been avoiding the really tough scoring teams.

Hockey player quotes are so meaningless. They say the exact thing every time. There is obviously no substance in them considering what Orpik has said and how he has played in return.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:16 pm

llipgh2 wrote:On the tv side Healy blamed goal 3 on Vokoun as well, and rightly said DB was lucky the decision to play him didn't blow up in his face.

Healy can go to ****. He made me cry myself to sleep one night nearly 20 years ago.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penmyst on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:30 pm

A win is a win. Even if it's a football score.

I'm going to have a white russian in honor of FPHCMT. Nice beating you. ;)
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:42 pm

A couple of random thoughts:

1. That sixth goal is the kind of goal that removes any remaining faith a team has in its goalie.
2. That was a really great move and clinical shot by Sutter for the GW. Made it look easy.

3. To me, the team was playing pretty solid going into the last Philly game, and then it's been incosistent again. Still have about 6 weeks to figure it out again...I guess.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:48 pm

Shakes wrote:A couple of random thoughts:

1. That sixth goal is the kind of goal that removes any remaining faith a team has in its goalie.
2. That was a really great move and clinical shot by Sutter for the GW. Made it look easy.

3. To me, the team was playing pretty solid going into the last Philly game, and then it's been incosistent again. Still have about 6 weeks to figure it out again...I guess.

I think the problem is that they just don't have a calming influence anymore. DB used to be that guy, but now it seems that when they give up momentum the wheels fall off. Tonight was an exception, but that's because they were playing with their backs against the wall in terms of facing a losing streak.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:02 am

bhaw wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:2.91 GAA, now tied #19 in the league. Tampa, Philly, and Toronto on deck. How loooooooowwwww will they goooooooo

But hey, they're almost in the lead for most goals per game!

Pittsburgh Capitals.

You may be joking, but to me this is (sadly) an apt comparison. The Capitals won a ton of games, scoring a ton of goals in the process, but absolutely nobody was scared of playing them in the playoffs. Great win, and you guys should be happy with their resilience (Sutter :shock: ), but this team still has a ways to go.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:28 am

Gaucho wrote:7-6 sounds about right.

Congrats?

:P

What all this stuff from Orpik about the sign of a good player and repeating mistakes and...nvm.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:38 am

Yuck. I hate this team so much right now.

No brains, no will in the defensive end.

Hey forwards, you're allowed to come closer to your own net.

Time to forget about regular season individual stats and focus on playing the game the right way.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 am

Also, could our bottom 6 be any more worthless?

Has our 4th line established even a full minute of zone time this season? 22 games you would think Glass would have been hit by a puck at some point and got a cheap assist. What is that line's role, just to not get scored on? What happened to having an energy line?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:42 am

dbizzle66 wrote:
Eismann wrote:this is like What's Happening without Danielle Spencer...No Dee.

Bravo. Bravo.

Yeah, if I were remiss at stopping to applaud this, as well, I'd be like a kid at recess...no class.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins