Brooks Orpik

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Brooks Orpik

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:09 am

shmenguin wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Players' coaches have a difficult time holding veterans accountable because they might lose the favor of the locker room if it's done incorrectly. Thus, all the problems with the team are taken out on the youth (Despres scratched, Bennett benched tonight). While veteran players, those that would have more pull, are able to get away with a few bad games (or more) and not lose their jersey...Orpik will probably start the next game, Engelland hasn't been scratched yet has he? Kunitz early in the year to a lesser extent, Adams to a lesser extent...some players seem to be immune to the rotation, audition is merely a formality for them...

Personally, I don't believe Bylsma has the wherewithal to sit a player of Orpik's caliber...

Now, I'll say the flip side as someone that has a fair amount of coaching experience (relative to an average person, not an NHL coach). It's a lot easier to talk about benching/scratching a player than it is to actually do it...the consequences can be dire, you can lose the player, you can lose the room, you can affect morale negatively...coaching takes a delicate balance...some players don't like to be pushed and prodded, some players need you to light their ass on fire every night to get a pulse from them...you have to really understand your team at a macro and micro level in order to push the right buttons...

Personally, I think the team can make adjustments with the current core and be ok...I don't think we need to do anything rash, but I'm a "let's not do anything rash" type of guy...will those adjustments get made? Will they be successful? Useful questions.

i'm sure it's a delicate balance. you'd just hope that if he's not willing to scratch/demote/move to wing/whatever, that he's pulling him aside privately and carefully informing him that he's kinda sorta a significant part of the problem.

Oh, for sure, you can't allow nonsense to permeate into your gameplan and into your locker room...

If I had to guess, and I'm not in the locker room, but if I had to guess on my own intuition...the very worst thing HCDB could do is scratch Orpik and not say anything about it. If Orpik checks the cast list before a game and that's how he finds out he's the understudy, I think that causes a major problem both for the individual (Orpik) and for the team...that's just my guess...I could be way wrong, I'm often way wrong...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:13 am

from my layman's couch, i think that would be a big problemo, but is also pretty unlikely.

though if orpik wipes his nose with DB's kids' gloves, eventually you need to escalate to DEFCON a-hole and get a little punitive
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:20 am

It seems like a no-brainer thing to not do (scratch-ation without representation), but sometimes that happens...and sometimes I feel that from the coaches on up, everyone is on the same page, and some players are included in that, but I don't feel all the players are included in that. I think some of players are viewed as just workers...clock punchers...just a guess on my part, pure speculation, it's just the feeling I get from the situation...

For instance, I'm not sure Despres or Boychuk get an explanation with their routine scratches...and given the limited practice time this season, I wonder how much they are informed on what to work on...it seems that when players are scratched and asked about what they need to do to get into the lineup, the answer seems to be the same, "I guess I just need to keep working..." ...standard answer, ubiquitous. But I wonder if they're clued in as to what they need to be working harder on.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:08 am

mikey287 wrote: But I wonder if they're clued in as to what they need to be working harder on.

I would sure hope so.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:29 am

Beveridge wrote:HOW DARE A PLAYER HAVE A BAD NIGHT. WHAT IS HE, HUMAN?

How bout we trade our entire roster for Chicago. They haven't lost in regulation yet, I guess they are doing it right.

Its not just one bad night... Orpik in the top pair is a mismatch in his role & expectation, especially when he's forced to play first pair minutes in several games in a row due to injury. Brooks just isn't a top-pair guy. He never really was. 2 years ago, we tried to upgrade the defense with Martin and Michalek, but when we dropped Michalek, Brooksy picked up his minutes. Brooks is 'good enough' for the top 4, but 'good enough' just isn't what it used to be.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Beveridge on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:30 pm

My comment came from when this post was started. He's been bad last couple of weeks, no denying that. He isn't the only one, however.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins