Please help me not screw up my next steak

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Please help me not screw up my next steak

Postby MWB on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:43 pm

shmenguin wrote:So I'm almost there...beautiful crust, perfect medium to medium rare temp...but after I let it rest and get it on the plate, it's barely warm anymore. How do you keep the steak "hot" while it's resting?

I usually just put them in the microwave on a plate that I warmed on the grill, keeping the microwave off obviously. They stay pretty warm that way.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:15 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:So I'm almost there...beautiful crust, perfect medium to medium rare temp...but after I let it rest and get it on the plate, it's barely warm anymore. How do you keep the steak "hot" while it's resting?

does your dishwasher have a plate warming setting? you can heat plates a number of ways.

i actually have a few filets i cut myself sitting in the kichen warming. date night tonight :)

Strip steaks are better, but ladies like the filet, so there you go.

What I'm hearing about my issue is basically to get my plates warm. My oven has a "warm" setting. I'll stick the plates in there next time.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:32 pm

Date night??!
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Shyster wrote:I’ve been following Lodge’s recommendations for cleaning their pans for years, and they recommend that if you can’t get the pan clean with just a wipe-out, you can clean with hot water (no soap) and a scrub brush. If you immediately dry the pan off, you won’t get rust, and with no soap the seasoning isn’t really affected. Lodge recommends hitting the pan with a little oil once it’s dry.

this is typically how I clean mine when I get something that has burned onto it. There might have been one time where I had to let it soak for a half hour or so, but for the most part hot water does the trick.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:40 pm

MWB wrote:

I usually just put them in the microwave on a plate that I warmed on the grill, keeping the microwave off obviously. They stay pretty warm that way.

How long are you letting it stand? I always read '5 minutes', but that is WAY to long IMO. 2 minutes, tops. I want steak served less than 5 minutes after it was cooked, so steak is always cooked last, and separately.

Begs the question, also, how you do sides. If I'm doing potatoes, I want them done and plated before a steak hits the grill. If I am steaming veggies, I usually do that in the mocrowave, so I usually start them (4-5 minutes) as I am putting steak on the grill. If I am doing something like a broiled/baked dish... they are out and cooling on the counter. I would rather keep sides warm than steak. Again... rest is 2 minutes, not 5, and DEFINITELY not 10.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby MWB on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:02 pm

I let my steaks rest for five minutes. Nice a juicy throughout and a good temperature.

As for sides... Baked potatoes get done in the microwave well before. They hold heat very well. Mashed potatoes would also be dine well ahead. Asparagus is grilled after the steak while it is resting. only takes about three minutes to grill asparagus. If I'm grilling romaine, same thing. Green beans get sautéed while steak is grilling.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BadHands71 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Tent it with foil, or cover with a pot lid. Keeps the heat in while not really cooking the steak anymore. A warm plate also helps.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Does anyone else brush their potato with vegetable oil, coat it with Kosher salt, and bake it in the oven? Yum.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:44 pm

Coarse sea salt, but yes.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:52 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Does anyone else brush their potato with vegetable oil, coat it with Kosher salt, and bake it in the oven? Yum.

Yeah. Been doing this for awhile now. Good stuff.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:02 am

A little bit before it is "done", take it off the grill and wrap it in foil and let it rest for 5 minutes. It will still be warm and will continue to cook while in the foil.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:15 am

i cover it in foil already, and it's "warm". but i want to keep it "hot"
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to NHR