Pens v Flyers GDT (3/7/13)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens v Flyers GDT (3/7/13)

Postby penny lane on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 pm

ROOT SPORTS™ | PIT ‏@ROOTSPORTSPIT
The last time the Pens trailed the Flyers 4-1 and won.....April 1, 1973. Pens won 5-4 then as well. -DP

we were due
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I'll wet blanket all over this. They've given up 3+ goals in eight of their last nine. There isn't a playoff team with a worse GAA in the NHL right now. Even worse, winning games like this likely just reinforces that it's OK to give up this many goals because they can just score 5 or 6 or 7, whatever it takes. We know how this ends. The 2nd seed will mean nothing when they get beat by the #7 because they're facing a team that actually can stick to a tight game plan.

Hey, it's great they came back. It's great they're winning. It's great Sid is in position to win a scoring title. Just recognize that these things will be the height of this season. There's no point in even hoping for more because they clearly are never going to kick their problems.

Sweet. Now that it's settled, I can go hibernate until October since our fate has now been decided by the high & mighty. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:14 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I'll wet blanket all over this. They've given up 3+ goals in eight of their last nine. There isn't a playoff team with a worse GAA in the NHL right now. Even worse, winning games like this likely just reinforces that it's OK to give up this many goals because they can just score 5 or 6 or 7, whatever it takes. We know how this ends. The 2nd seed will mean nothing when they get beat by the #7 because they're facing a team that actually can stick to a tight game plan.

Hey, it's great they came back. It's great they're winning. It's great Sid is in position to win a scoring title. Just recognize that these things will be the height of this season. There's no point in even hoping for more because they clearly are never going to kick their problems.

yeah, the flyers' tears make it palatable, but i don't really feel super about this one. defense, goaltending, circus, etc.

All the more reason to forget about top-six wingers and get some grit and skill on the 3rd and 4th lines and help at the blue line.

sure, if you think personnel is the issue. i'm not sold on that, however.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Gaucho wrote:His bed game? Does this mean he gets to sleep with Geno and Neal tonight?

Best game but the answer to your question is yes and yes.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:19 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
Gaucho wrote:His bed game? Does this mean he gets to sleep with Geno and Neal tonight?

Best game but the answer to your question is yes and yes.

Neal will probably be out all night, trying to track down and fight the dude who cut him off in traffic earlier today.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 pm

shmenguin wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

yeah, the flyers' tears make it palatable, but i don't really feel super about this one. defense, goaltending, circus, etc.

All the more reason to forget about top-six wingers and get some grit and skill on the 3rd and 4th lines and help at the blue line.

sure, if you think personnel is the issue. i'm not sold on that, however.

Starting to agree... RS lets DB set the lineup. I don't know any other coach in the league that plays Craig Adams every night without swapping him out for Jeffrey, or sits 44 a night after he plays poorly for 3 straight games. I think, even if forced, DB would play 'his guys' over the best player. Hell, I'd argue he did that tonight.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Shakes on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Rewatched the winning goal. Watch the play by Martin on Hartnell in front to prevent a prime chance right before the rush. Perfect defense in tight without taking a penalty. I guess it can be done.

Then Sid beats Giroux to the loose puck, Timmonen fails twice to clear (once with good pressure by Dupuis), and Sid and Kunitz...just too easy for them right now.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Orlando Penguin wrote:

Sweet. Now that it's settled, I can go hibernate until October since our fate has now been decided by the high & mighty. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I don't care if you don't like it. A team that gives up as many goals as the Pens give up is not a serious contender. I'll enjoy things for what they are - mainly getting to see Sid play and excel - but it's a bummer to me knowing that as much talent as they have, they aren't going anywhere. Maybe if they gave any sliver of hope that they can fix their problems but they simply aren't doing it. But that doesn't it has to bum you out. I've just seen enough of the Pens in recent years to know that their regular season problems carry into the playoffs. Barring a miracle, we will watch them flame out magnificently in the playoffs against a lower seed again.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:25 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I am banking on winning that sweet $100 gift card for Penzone

Holy crap, I predicted 9 goals

Got 20% off though. Code is TPGPENS20
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:30 pm

DelPen wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I am banking on winning that sweet $100 gift card for Penzone

Holy crap, I predicted 9 goals

Got 20% off though. Code is TPGPENS20

I had 8. Stephan A Smith and I were pulling for the tie at 4-4
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 pm

Ha! Watching the postgame on NHLN, Byslma said "we just got to our game."
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:36 pm

You can think the Pens don't have a big problem because of their seeding right now and because they win a lot of regular season games. But you cannot deny that the norm for this team is to give up at least 3 goals every single game. Lately its been more than that.

And I'm sorry, but that ain't gonna get you anything in the postseason. So its great that they came back tonight, but this team still has big issues with the way it plays.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Nice character win for the Pens! They looked great too on D when they went into lockdown mode in the third - and we actually played with a sense of urgency when the Flyers had the puck in our zone.

Hopefully this puts the flyers in a bit of a tailspin too - these types of losses can sting, as we are painfully aware of from last season.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 pm

farnham16 wrote:You can think the Pens don't have a big problem because of their seeding right now and because they win a lot of regular season games. But you cannot deny that the norm for this team is to give up at least 3 goals every single game. Lately its been more than that.

And I'm sorry, but that ain't gonna get you anything in the postseason. So its great that they came back tonight, but this team still has big issues with the way it plays.

Clearly, there is a LOT of room for improvement. Tonight, I'm just enjoying getting one back on those clowns.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Peter Laviolette crying because he thinks teams should have two time outs per game
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Staggy on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:49 pm

I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the locker room during the first intermission. I'm hoping Bylsma paddled Neal and made the whole team watch.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ILikeTurtles on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Bennett is a player. I knew he would be an asset to the top 6, but I never thought he could contribute, and impact the skill in the top 6 so early in his career.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 pm

PHI sports radio is fun to listen to right now.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 am

Henry Hank wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:

I don't care if you don't like it. A team that gives up as many goals as the Pens give up is not a serious contender. I'll enjoy things for what they are - mainly getting to see Sid play and excel - but it's a bummer to me knowing that as much talent as they have, they aren't going anywhere. Maybe if they gave any sliver of hope that they can fix their problems but they simply aren't doing it. But that doesn't it has to bum you out. I've just seen enough of the Pens in recent years to know that their regular season problems carry into the playoffs. Barring a miracle, we will watch them flame out magnificently in the playoffs against a lower seed again.

This is a joke.

They beat a rival in their own building after their goalie spotted them 3 goals minimum. Rewatch the tape and tell me that you see a single, confident save from Fleury. Most were complete adventures. If you think that a team can play defense in front of that then I don't know what to tell you.

This was a signature win. If you don't know enough to be quiet with your negative Nancy routine then I guess you don't know as much as the folks on here who fawn over your every word seem to think you do.

Do you know anything about team psychology? The bus was warming up, and I am sure you would have gotten on with Fleury. Thankfully the Pens did not.

They also played very well at home in the last game. They can bring it together and focus. The season is only half over, but by all means enjoy your time watching Sid.
Last edited by The Snapshot on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:04 am

Glad I hit the record button, when it was 4-1.
I definitely want rewatch that and focus on Bennett's performance. Quite impressive.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:05 am

columbia wrote:PHI sports radio is fun to listen to right now.

There was a lot of grumbling amongst the Flyer faithful at the bar. They did not believe we were mentally tough enough to bounce back.

Flyer Coach did not "change the game" with an amazing timeout call tonight either.....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:06 am

columbia wrote:Glad I hit the record button, when it was 4-1.
I definitely want rewatch that and focus on Bennett's performance. Quite impressive.

Yeah, he may have just taken a big jump in development tonight. He was really good all over the ice. All three zones.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shakes on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:14 am

Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:15 am

Shakes wrote:Image

He needs a nickname anyway. That has my vote. "PLAY HARD BEAUNER!!"
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:18 am

Bennett earned more playing time tonight, but I wouldn't call the top 6 a finished product. If Bennett earns the spot and keeps it, and you want to bring in a winger, Dupuis would look just as good on the 3rd line, and help that group out more than Kennedy. TK had a great goal tonight, and hopefully it gets him going, but his cycle game is still off.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Jeffrey
Adams
TK
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins