Pens v Flyers GDT (3/7/13)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens v Flyers GDT (3/7/13)

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:19 am

I may be a softie, but that just seems so unfair to Dupuis to me
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 am

Actually, I can't think of one bad defensive sequence the last 40 mins. I know it's "just Philly and Tampa," but I see improvement the last two games. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I could see this group figure it out. Still a couple of months to find some consistency.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:30 am

Shakes wrote:Actually, I can't think of one bad defensive sequence the last 40 mins. I know it's "just Philly and Tampa," but I see improvement the last two games. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I could see this group figure it out. Still a couple of months to find some consistency.

The Flyers came out hard and amped the crowd. Fleury fed the frenzy by handing them goals and bobbling everything they put near him.

I said it in last year's playoffs, but you cannot look good playing D in front of that.

The D settled in when the goalie started just handling routine situations.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:38 am

Shakes wrote:Actually, I can't think of one bad defensive sequence the last 40 mins. I know it's "just Philly and Tampa," but I see improvement the last two games. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I could see this group figure it out. Still a couple of months to find some consistency.

Flyers came close to scoring from some ineptness to start the 3rd but we got lucky.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Cagsjr724 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:39 am

DesertPenguin wrote:Bennett earned more playing time tonight, but I wouldn't call the top 6 a finished product. If Bennett earns the spot and keeps it, and you want to bring in a winger, Dupuis would look just as good on the 3rd line, and help that group out more than Kennedy. TK had a great goal tonight, and hopefully it gets him going, but his cycle game is still off.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Jeffrey
Adams
TK

:thumb: :thumb:
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:47 am

DelPen wrote:

Flyers came close to scoring from some ineptness to start the 3rd but we got lucky.

Do you mean the play off the opening faceoff right before the GWG? I think Martin made a solid play to break up the chance. Wasn't luck. Maybe they shouldn't have had the chance, but Giroux and Hartnell are going to get chances.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:52 am

The Pens responded to what could have been a total crapfest. Adjustments were made, they didn't melt down...encouraging. When it's the Flyers, all normalcy and convention seems to go out the window. Any win against Philly is rarely uneventful or pretty.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:55 am

Shakes wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Do you mean the play off the opening faceoff right before the GWG? I think Martin made a solid play to break up the chance. Wasn't luck. Maybe they shouldn't have had the chance, but Giroux and Hartnell are going to get chances.

Considering Martin deflected two pucks behind Fluery in the 1st, yes, it was luck. In the 1st period that's a goal.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:56 am

Best was Mike Lange at the end of the First saying he's fine with having 40 minutes to come back. Genius.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bh on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:57 am

I guess my biggest gripe of the night is Malkin's defensive play. I don't see any urgency or aggressiveness when he's protecting his own net. He just seems to float around and then when the Pens get possession he turns the jets on up ice. I wish he'd be a little more aggressive back there.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shakes on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:58 am

DelPen wrote:
Shakes wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Considering Martin deflected two pucks behind Fluery in the 1st, yes, it was luck. In the 1st period that's a goal.

He got position on his man, knocked the puck away, and then knocked an off-balance Hartnell down. What else could he do there?
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:59 am

Shakes wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Shakes wrote:
DelPen wrote:

He got position on his man, knocked the puck away, and then knocked an off-balance Hartnell down. What else could he do there?

Deflected a puck in the net. He got lucky
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:59 am

Yeah, this team has problems. All teams not named the Blackhawks have problems and even they now have some injury woes. Games like this can change seasons. Coupled with a few moves, adding grit and experience (think bill guerin) and maybe a solid Dman, this could be a cup team.

Bennett was great. He'll be a rookie in the playoffs where things get more physical. How will he handle it. Making a game in philly your breakout game certainly is a good start and it creates a persona pens fans will love.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:00 am

The first two lines are rolling, D sucks, so let's add Iginla. Makes perfect sense. Once Crosby elevates his 1.6ppg to 1.8, all problems will be solved.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Inkio on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:04 am

Did anyone else watch Giroux's post game interview? Because I just did and he was holding back tears the whole time. I'm not exaggerating. He literally sounded and looked as if he was about to cry the entire time. Even on the Flyers forums their fans called it out.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:01 am

nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:08 am

some sad Flyers fan from hf wrote:i think giroux was so pissed he started getting upset, its probably not sadness but adrenaline, it happens to everyone

hahahahaha, yes, must be it.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jimreb on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:13 am

Just got back from the game, it was quite the good time :D topped off with a Genos Cheesesteak afterwards
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:50 am

Inkio wrote:Did anyone else watch Giroux's post game interview? Because I just did and he was holding back tears the whole time. I'm not exaggerating. He literally sounded and looked as if he was about to cry the entire time. Even on the Flyers forums their fans called it out.

A few phans share my feeling that he's in over his head in wearing the "C," too. They apply a mysticism to that captaincy, while I just think Giroux is a terrific player but not ready to be the captain.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lesky on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:20 am

Henry Hank wrote:PATHETIC PATHETIC PATHETIC PATHETIC

Just give up now. The entire season. WTF is wrong with this team

:fist:
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:46 am

It's not necessarily a bad thing to have issues on D at this point in the year. Plenty of time to correct it with either a personnel or philosophical change before the playoffs, unlike last year when we went into the post season playing really sloppy
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:09 am

How soon until the Flyers fans want to send HCPL on a permanent timeout? :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:12 am

Man, that was like a vintage Mike Richards presser.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Froggy on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:16 am

That's what really bugs me about Giroux... Or at least the perception of him. It's easy to be the captain when things are going well, but you are really defined by what you do when the chips are down. Like compare his "leadership" against us in the playoffs vs him taking a suspension against nj
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Coozman1 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:43 am

Looks like the video is gone now!
Coozman1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins